Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DopestGingah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
So I have a lot of 3rd Party apps on my iPhone. It has been crashing...ALOT. Whenever I try to open a 3rd party app (besides Installer, Summerboard and Apollo) it will not open. Everything is just messed up and slow. So I want to restore my iPhone completely. When I go into iTunes to restore though, it tells me that it will update to the newest version!?!? I do NOT want 1.1.1 for obvious reasons. What should I do?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So I have a lot of 3rd Party apps on my iPhone. It has been crashing...ALOT. Whenever I try to open a 3rd party app (besides Installer, Summerboard and Apollo) it will not open. Everything is just messed up and slow. So I want to restore my iPhone completely. When I go into iTunes to restore though, it tells me that it will update to the newest version!?!? I do NOT want 1.1.1 for obvious reasons. What should I do?

maybe try disconnecting from the internet when you do the restore?

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California

A great advertisement as to why apple doesn't want 3rd party apps running loose on the iphone.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
There are instructions to downgrade to 1.0.2 - perhaps you should follow those and hold OPTION while clicking RESTORE and selecting old firmware.

This slightly easier version uses AppTapp installer instead of requiring you to decrypt the DMG file yourself.
(from iphone.unlock.no)
First, download the file iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw from Apple. On a Mac, do not unzip the file, iTunes will do this for you in step 4.
Then connect phone to dock, and hold down home button and power button for about 10 seconds or until the screen goes black.
Now release the power button but continue holding the home button. After about 10 seconds the computer will detect the iPhone in restore mode, and iTunes should tell that the phone needs to be restored.
Hold down SHIFT key (Windows) or Option/ALT-key (Mac) when clicking the Restore button, and select the file you downloaded in step 1.
Let the restore complete and ignore the error at the end. (Should be error 1013).
Now your phone should show the "Please Connect to iTunes" screen with the yellow triangle.
Run AppTap to jailbreak your phone - it will restore it to a working 1.0.2 firmware it even though you will get an error at the end. Just dismiss the error and quit the installer.
Run AppTap again to actually install the installer.app. It should successfully complete. Keep rerunning AppTap if it doesn't work the first time - it may take a few tries.
At this point you will have a jailbroken iPhone that still needs to be activated (as usual). Google is your friend.
AT&T Users: Reset your iPhone before you start using your phone again. Failure to do so may result in you being charged for your "free services."
Please note: The Sync cable and itunes logo is the new firmware restore screen. The yellow triangle is the old restore screen.
Error: The iphone "xxx" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1).

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No need to do all that downgrade nonsense.

Just hold ALT and click restore, then select the 1.0.2 firmware file.

If you're in Windows, hold SHIFT and click restore, do the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.