Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
One of my ex's has mentioned she's considering having it done, and I've told her I think she's totally nutts. There really is nothing wrong with the way she is erm *cough cough* blessed... :eek: ;)

She's in final year of med-school as well, so I can't even BS her with dodgy health facts. :(

But it's for the individual to decide I guess, if it makes someone feel better about themselves and more confident then it's a good thing.

There should be a limit of size though... some of the results that you get to see look like they been proportioned by a cartoon artist havin' a larf!!! :eek: :eek: :p

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
not my place to decide. personally, i dont' think i'd want any one of the women i date to have them, but if they want them, know the risks, can pay for them, and have a good reason: self-esteem, post-breast cancer, etc. they can go ahead.

it's really not my place to make any decision like that for anybody else.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I personally disagree with breast implants. The decision should be made between the doctor and patient. The woman should make an informed decison only after she knows all the facts and risks. I also feel that I should not have to bear any of the cost for the surgery or complications. She should be able to bear the full cost up front. No expense on my part from insurance or taxes!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I think breast implants are a terrible idea... but mostly I'm upset that society has placed these rigid unreal expectations on women and their bodies that make them actually consider something so self-destructive. But banning the implants is merely taking away a symptom of a much greater problem... And will result in a lot of women going to Mexico for them...

pnw

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
:looks around:

uh oh, taking the defense of people with them.

Look some people are *too* well equipped and need this surgery to lower the size of their breasts, in this it is needed.

I don't think they are needed when people want to make them... bigger.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by MrMacman
:looks around:

uh oh, taking the defense of people with them.

Look some people are *too* well equipped and need this surgery to lower the size of their breasts, in this it is needed.

I don't think they are needed when people want to make them... bigger.

Putting things in breast don't make them smaller. Implants are ONLY used to make them bigger.

You're thinking of "breast augmentation", which is surgery performed to alter the size of breasts, encompassing both reductions and 'enhancements'.

pnw

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
It might make some of you feel better that my dad, who's a plastic surgeon, will evaluate the patient, not only physically, but mentally, before he will do an augmentation for them. If he feels they are getting them for the wrong reasons or that they are unstable, he won't do the procedure... I'm sure other, less scrupulous doctors do, though.

A lot of his patients are women who have had breasts removed due to cancer or other disfiguring accidents.

I personally wouldn't do it. Heck, I need a reduction as it is! But I think it can be beneficial for self-esteem in recovering cancer patients.

The problem with being a plastic surgeon's daughter is that you can almost ALWAYS spot the fake ones. And not just the unnaturally perky ones either. Sometimes, you can see the outline. Blech! I don't know why some guys go for that kind of thing.

:p

Alia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.