Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Orlando FL
Why were some Powermac G4's names have Quicksilver in them? Is it a special line or what? Whats the diffrence between the G4 "Quicksilver" and the regular g4?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
refers to case design and specs.

from LowEndMac, evolution of G4 desktops

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 399

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It's just a way to differentiate different models from one another – it doesn't indicate that it's a special edition or anything like that.

So, for example, when you mentioned Quicksilver I immediately knew which style of Power Mac you were talking about... ;)

quicksilver.jpg

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Seriously, this thing has more problems than anything. Icons randomly disappear on desktop, have to click around to get them back. Safari bugs out a lot now. Did I mention it's slow and still using MHz? lol Looking forward to a new MacPro with Leopard.
Sounds like a personal problem to me. ;)

My dual 1ghz QS is 5.5 and will be my "daily driver" for the foreseeable future (I recently purchased a Mac Pro to relive the QS of it's editing duties).

Lethal

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Seriously, this thing has more problems than anything. Icons randomly disappear on desktop, have to click around to get them back. Safari bugs out a lot now. Did I mention it's slow and still using MHz? lol Looking forward to a new MacPro with Leopard.

My Quick Silver as headless server works fine. If you are in the Virginia area, I'll pick yours up. Probably just sofware problem.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I would love getting a Quicksilver for its looks. :cool:

I have a Digital Audio 466 MHz and a FW 800 Dual 1.25 GHz, so those designs are covered.... but no Quicksilver yet ;)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
My 733MHz Quicksilver is still going as well as it did when it was new, 6 years ago.
It needs a new graphics card, 32MB is a bit crap now-a-days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.