Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taficke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Hi, is there anyway to get a larger hard drive installed on a 5G iPod? Is there a way to take it somewhere where they do it for you?
Thanks in advance...

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I don't know if that's possible.

But considering the work it takes to do that, it might be cheaper to sell the old iPod and buy a new one.

cometa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
yes

yes it's possible, you could upgrade to this 60 gig for example. the installation may be a bit scary, but many companies offer ipod services for pretty cheap.

taficke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
is there a way to hire a company to do it for you?
and is that really what im looking at for 30 more gigs? 200 bucks?

triobot

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Milton Keynes
As you have a 5gen ipod the warrenty gone, so i suggest doing a DIY job cos I don't believe its worth a lot to put in a new hard drive. Saying that, it depends how confident you are to open your ipod, put a new HDD [ hard disk drive ] in, then pluggin the iPod into the comp then restoring it...

Plus if you get the 6oGB HDD, you'll need a new backing case cos they're obviously larger !!

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
does anyone know where you can buy the same 80gb HD that is in the 80gb classic??
The 80gb classic, is the same size as the 30gb 5g iPod, so it would fit as a replacement...

triobot

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Milton Keynes
ebay is always my 1st protocol for finding things. But even if u get the upgrade in the 5Gen from 3oGB to 8oGB you'll still need a bigger chrome plate on the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.