Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brando Workshop is now offering a replacement battery for the iPhone at $20. At 1400mAh, the replacement battery is rated to give the same battery life as Apple's stock iPhone battery.

replace_500.jpg

The battery replacement is slightly cheaper than iPodJuice's replacement and also includes assembly tools and an instruction manual.

Article Link

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
just currious, but how many of you would actually update their battery by themselves? I'm not sure if i would attempt this or not.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Most people don't find that 30 minutes of their time is worth $85.

Or even the $65 you would have left over after buying this kit and changing the battery yourself.

If you have to take the time out of your $130/hour job to change your own battery, then I can see how Apple's replacement program might be worthwhile.

Or maybe if you're enough of a cludge that you know you'd break the thing just by taking off the back.

I guess for people buying 600 dollar 2 year contract phones, 85 bucks for a new battery every now and then is just a drop in the bucket.

techster82

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006

Or even the $65 you would have left over after buying this kit and changing the battery yourself.

If you have to take the time out of your $130/hour job to change your own battery, then I can see how Apple's replacement program might be worthwhile.

Or maybe if you're enough of a cludge that you know you'd break the thing just by taking off the back.

I guess for people buying 600 dollar 2 year contract phones, 85 bucks for a new battery every now and then is just a drop in the bucket.

$130 an hour job? Please point me in that direction. The bottom line is that if you have any technical skill you can change your battery out. I am still amazed at all the time devoted to replacing your iphone battery when the thing came out a month ago. I figure by the time the battery needs to be replaced it will be time for iphone 2.0 anyway. $85 should never be a drop in the bucket.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I would do it. Maybe not today, but in 6 months or a year.

WHY?

Your warranty covers the phone and battery for a year.

Furthermore, Apple says that after 350-400 cycles (1 full chemical discharge and recharge = 1 cycle), the battery will only retain 80% of its initial life... not that it will be dead after 350-400 cycles.

On top of that, I'd be suspicious of adding a $20 battery from a no-name mainland Chinese manufacturer to an expensive piece of electronics that you keep in your pocket (knock-off batteries have a nasty habit of exploding).

$130 an hour job? Please point me in that direction. The bottom line is that if you have any technical skill you can change your battery out.
I doubt many senior lawyers or attending neurosurgeons (about the only people who make that kind of money) have either the time, skill or interest in de-soldering and re-soldering the internal components of their cell phone.

shemp9999

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003

Maybe some of these highly-compensated people you refer to have time off work as well and enjoy tinkering with electronics. Or maybe they'll just pay Apple for the service.

Again, some people actually enjoy tinkering. If you were talking about laundry, I could understand. For me, it's well worth $25 every couple of weeks to have someone else do it.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
The only time I would think about doing this myself is when the warranty is no longer covering my iPhone... but then again the chances of screwing something up or paying a little extra to have Apple deal with it... hrm..

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I have apple care to extend my warrenty an additional two years, it is well worth it for battery replacement, because apple care was only $69.99 and I can get an actual Apple tech to do the work at risk of me making a simple mistake or as mentioned the risks of getting a cheap knock off battery that will explode.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I think for most people it is less about the money and more about the "how did that wire come loose" and "how come my phone won't turn on?" I wouldn't attempt to change my own battery because I would probably mess up along the way. For those brave souls who enjoy and are experienced at dealing with this kind of thing, go for it. I just think those with less experience doing this kind of thing would rather pay the money to have someone do it. There is also the added bonus that if something goes wrong when Apple is changing the battery it gets replaced for free, the same can't be said about changing it on your own.

atavision

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Why all this talk of batteries?

Why indeed?
everybody is talking about how to open up your sealed
iPhone and replace the battery that still has close to
a year of warranty left with a Chinese knockoff?

I just don't get it,
why not talk about how the 1.1.1 update drastically
shortened battery life
? What can we do about that?
any neurosurgeons or lawyers got an answer to that one??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.