Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wanderer707

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Well I am planning to switch from a PC to an iMac soon! So I heard you can run Windows on an iMac using Boot Camp. I'm sort've a PC gamer and I'm wondering if I can just use Boot Camp to install and play my games on it. Also can I use other Windows Only programs on Boot Camp? If I can do all this, then I am switching for sure!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Yes, anything you do can in Windows on a PC you can do on Windows in Boot Camp.

It's literally a PC machine with Windows if you use Boot Camp; there is no difference between an iMac or a Dell, or anything other PC computer.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's a Windows box that just happens to have an Apple Logo.

CoH: Opposing Fronts, LOTRO, and World in Conflict all play and look fine on my MacBook Pro.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
In bootcamp the iMac is just another PC. I've played Company of Heroes in bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and it runs much better than my regular PC (though that is 3 years old now). I just don't use bootcamp anymore because I'd rather not have to reboot all the time just to play a game.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
A game on bootcamp will be much better and faster then in OS X. I play WoW on my mac and i find it slower, graphics are worse and the over all feel to be bad. While using bootcamp it feel just like a normal PC.

Homer2556

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
It seems everyone has mis-read the op's post. You still need a legal copy of Windows to use Bootcamp. It doesn't allow the user to run programs directly.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Funny, I'd say the same about you.. :)

The OP asked if he could use BootCamp to install and run games. Yes.
The OP asked if he could install other "Windows Only" programs on BootCamp'd Mac. Again, yes.

jnash

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
Before you make that big decision to get the new iMac for windows games, do read this first:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1087066&tstart=30

I used to have a dream like yours and right now though I have the iMac in my hands, playing window games on the mac still remains a dream. :mad:

I have been doing some research before I go pick up my 24" iMac and this link here http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/233003947831 is great!! Pretty much rev shows you how to install the newer ATI drivers which made a huge PERFORMANCE BOOST check it out ASAP if you can pm or post back your results

cartelest

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
imac 3,06 24" geforce 8800 gs

hey guys im a little disappointed, just bought this pc im a heavy gamer but sick and tired with windows bought this pc because i thought i could play xtreme games but i dont know whats going on i had a imac before but like 7 years ago im really not sure what i should do can anyone help me .

carter:(

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
i have a little question. will you get abit better performance using vista since it uses both cores instead of one in xp. does xp only use one core?

in a year and a half id like to get a laptop with a dedicated gpu and would like to stay with mac,but if i can get better performance with a pc then id prob get a pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.