Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Stuff.tv reports that O2 has confirmed that existing contract customers who switch over to an iPhone contract will get a free iPhone upgrade, but only if you've had your current contract before the September 19th iPhone announcement. Customers who signed up after September 19th are not eligible for the upgrade.

Article Link

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I don't think this is correct. As I read it 'pre-announcement' O2 customers can move to the iPhone tariff without penalty whereas 'post announcement' customers (i.e. still within their contract period) will have to pay an additional £219. In both cases you have to buy the iPhone as well...

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I don't think this is correct. As I read it 'pre-announcement' O2 customers can move to the iPhone tariff without penalty whereas 'post announcement' customers (i.e. still within their contract period) will have to pay an additional £219. In both cases you have to buy the iPhone as well...

Considering Apple was pretty adamant about phone companies not subsidizing the cost of the iPhone with discounts and other gimiky because it would 'diminish the perceived value of the iPhone', I doubt this is really a free iPhone offer as well.

Of course, Apple did diminish the perceived value of the iPhone itselfe when they slashed the price $200, so who knows... :p

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

Well that makes two of us who can read. You can change your pre-existing contract tariff to an iPhone contract tariff without penalty, if you signed the contract on that tariff prior the iPhone announcment. No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus: no free iPhones. This is an irrelevant concept for AT&T customers in the States as you can change your iPhone plan up or down any time you wish -- save dropping the data plan -- at no penalty.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whoa, that's a bit awesome! Shame I didn't have an O2 contract before, shame I've had no contract phone before!

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Well that makes two of us who can read. You can change your pre-existing contract tariff to an iPhone contract tariff without penalty, if you signed the contract on that tariff prior the iPhone announcment. No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus: no free iPhones. This is an irrelevant concept for AT&T customers in the States as you can change your iPhone plan up or down any time you wish -- save dropping the data plan -- at no penalty.

I still can't believe that there is a facet of the US cell industry that is superior to something overseas (I would say the rest of the world, but the Canadian data prices seem to be the worst of element of all).

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London

Has this been confirmed? O2 are saying that there will be free iPhone upgrades for existing O2 customers before Sept 19th?

jamjoe1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
Free o2 iPhone hopefully!

I hate to add to the speculation but just yesterday I was looking into reknewing my contract with o2 which falls a week after the iPhone is released. Now although I have no proof of it, I distinctly remember reading in the 'Exsisting customers' section under 'availability' on the 02.co.uk website, it read

"customers with an exsisting contract who upgraded before September 18th 2007 will be able to switch to an iPhone contract and recieve the iphone without any payment or incurring any charges for leaving your current contract" or something more or less along those lines - either way confirming the rumor. However the page has now been re-edited.

But I guess we will just have to wait to see! It would be a great deal as I'd definitely consider switching, however the current iphone and contract price is a bit to steep for a none 3G phone.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I hate to add to the speculation but just yesterday I was looking into reknewing my contract with o2 which falls a week after the iPhone is released. Now although I have no proof of it, I distinctly remember reading in the 'Exsisting customers' section under 'availability' on the 02.co.uk website, it read

"customers with an exsisting contract who upgraded before September 18th 2007 will be able to switch to an iPhone contract and recieve the iphone without any payment or incurring any charges for leaving your current contract" or something more or less along those lines - either way confirming the rumor. However the page has now been re-edited.

But I guess we will just have to wait to see! It would be a great deal as I'd definitely consider switching, however the current iphone and contract price is a bit to steep for a none 3G phone.

Well that page does not say it now.... and given O2 have supposedly confirmed it..... then it should say it now. I have spoken to O2 multiple times re the iPhone and have been made some amazing offers on my contract none of which got me a free iphone

BufferOverflow

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2006
UK
eenu I really believe there is nothing, O2 will be able to do regarding subsidising the iPhone. They may give you some extra bolt-ons for free or some kind of tariff discount. But no matter which way you approach it you are going to have to pay £269 for the handset.

As an O2 customer who upgraded July I'm over the moon to hear that I can switch my contract to one of the iPhone contracts without penalty, seems an extremely smart move, especially for Apple who I'm sure will shift more handsets because of it.

Considering the lockdown the 1.1.1 firmware has enabled I would be a lot more hesitant to try unlocking to work with my current SIM.

Considering the facts: I'm already in contract, all providers data rates are very expensive and the unlocking complexity; an 'official' tariff seems really beneficial and the definite way to go.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've been offered 600mins and 1000 texts with Unlimited data for £35 a month and then i have to pay £269 for the iPhone

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
so the real winners here are the people who got new contract phones from o2 in early september, but now want an iphone as they essentially get a free phone...

nice, i got mine in about april, but im happy.
the iphones become alot more tempting, now if only they'd reverse that top tariff from mins to texts and drop it to £45

£55 is too steeeeeeeep.

sick!!

lets hope rogers will do the same in canada!!!

This is just part of the story on cbc.ca about Canadian carriers and why you pay so much. This used to go to the government now the carriers just keep it.
The increase is for the access fee - something all cell phone users pay to gain access to a network. All cell phone users used to pay a standard fee, $48 a year. But as of February 1, Rogers' fee will be $75. Telus will jump to $83 a year. Competitors Fido and MTS say there are no plans to pass on the increase - for now.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
so the real winners here are the people who got new contract phones from o2 in early september, but now want an iphone as they essentially get a free phone...

Yes, but the free phone is not the iPhone - it's the one they got when they first took out their contract...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.