Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The authorities are at fault here - letting someone in with a gun - that's just plain stupid.

Why does it always take some tragedy to get things to work right. You know from now on *everyone* will be checked before going to work. Even if its a metal detector.

Sad.

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Because we get lazy and trust too much...that's why. It takes something serious to open up our eyes, and make us realize our faults too often.

Even after 9-11, do u realize how many incidents happened inside airports? :rolleyes:

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
The authorities are at fault here - letting someone in with a gun - that's just plain stupid.

Why does it always take some tragedy to get things to work right. You know from now on *everyone* will be checked before going to work. Even if its a metal detector.

Sad.

D

Hold on a second. This story broke how long ago? 2 hours? We know so little right now, I don't think it is fair to put the blame on anyone yet.

How do we know that the authorities let a man get through security with a gun? How do we know the killer didn't swipe the gun from a police officer after clearing security? We just don't know it. Let's wait until we put the blame on the people that are trying to protect us.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The CNN page says "Unconfirmed reports say Councilman James Davis was shot" but the New York Times reports that Councilman James E. Davis was indeed killed. It also sounds like a lot of people could have been hurt, and maybe trampled, in the panic caused by the shooting:
"We were running really fast. People were tripping, they were falling -- they were even falling over the line in front of the guard rail. And then we ran down into the rotunda of the City Hall and then we were told by the police to run even further. People were jumping over the fence that is in City Hall parking lot to get out into the street," she said.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
He shouldn't have gotten in to begin with. :( Check for guns using a metal detector before allowing someone into the building ---- how hard can it be?

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly described the shooter as a man wearing either a blue suit or a blue blazer. A witness described the shooter as a man in his 40s wearing a cream-colored suit.

So are they looking for a man wearing a blue suit, or a man wearing a cream-coloured suit? :rolleyes: They need to get their facts straight before "reporting" this. Even Fox News can do better than this.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
it's the freakin wild west up here.....

i don't understand how i had to 'surrender' a damn keychain when entering the courthouse because it 'could be used as a weapon', and yet some nutcase just strolls right in to city hall and starts shootin up the place....

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by MrMacman

The congressman has died and NYC is very, very slowly releasing information.

:(

Wow, look what 24 hour news channels and the internet have done to us. I am all for getting as much information as quickly as possible, but this is ridiculous. It's been less than 5 hours. Believe it or not, the primary objective right now is to figure out how and why this happened, and to fix it for tomorrow and the future-not to inform you of all the details immediately after the event only for you to criticize the police more.

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
it's unfortunate that this happened... it's even more unfortunate that he didnt get bloomberg... even more unfortunate that Pataki didnt come down for a visit today...

by the way... thank you freg... nice to see someone defending the people who are trying to keep us safe

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
James Davis, a councilman from Brooklyn, was shot twice in the chest by his political opponent, Othniel Askew, and Askew was gunned down by a security guard on the first floor. James Davis is a retired NYPD officer, and he lead movements against urban violence. Here is how Othniel Askew got in. he brought a guest into the Hall, and they went around the metal detetctors.

Stuff like that shouldn't happen. Everyone should get checked no matter what. James Davis was authorized to have a gun since retired NYPD officers are allowed to, but he didn't have tie to reach for his gun.

This is a sad day. Let us all pray for Davis's family and friends.

R.I.P James Davis.
vert.davis.jpg

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Freg3000
Wow, look what 24 hour news channels and the internet have done to us. I am all for getting as much information as quickly as possible, but this is ridiculous. It's been less than 5 hours. Believe it or not, the primary objective right now is to figure out how and why this happened, and to fix it for tomorrow and the future-not to inform you of all the details immediately after the event only for you to criticize the police more.

hey hey hey, didn't criticize the police.

Look, I wanted them to tell me that a congressperson was dead, I didn't need for witnesses to tell me that.

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
James Davis, a councilman from Brooklyn, was shot twice in the chest by his political opponent, Othniel Askew, and Askew was gunned down by a security guard on the first floor. James Davis is a retired NYPD officer, and he lead movements against urban violence. Here is how Othniel Askew got in. he brought a guest into the Hall, and they went around the metal detetctors.

Stuff like that shouldn't happen. Everyone should get checked no matter what. James Davis was authorized to have a gun since retired NYPD officers are allowed to, but he didn't have tie to reach for his gun.

This is a sad day. Let us all pray for Davis's family and friends.

R.I.P James Davis.
vert.davis.jpg

Yes, rest in peace congress member.

I don't care if police can get to carry guns, I know this my cousin is a police officer and his dad is retired they both have guns, but there should atleast keep them in a cubby when they enter the building, and was killing your political opponent the best move?
No, that is just dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.