Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surajnangia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Hi ... bought my new iphone.... what does the letter E stand for next to the service provider Logo on the home screen.... and how do i get rid of that,,,, cheers

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
I would like mine replaced with either a 3G or a 4G. Would be nice, I can dream can't I.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
The why of the why

Why would you want to get rid of it? It shows you when you have Edge connectivity.

He'd want to get rid of it because he didn't know what it stood for - probably assuming it was a company logo or something - which is why he came here. :)

The "E" is there when you have a connection to Ma Bell's Edge network, which is what gives you the data connection (for running Safari, etc.). There may be times when you have a phone signal (and can call or text) but not have an Edge signal (and can't access the internet, your mail, etc.)

And that's why you need the "E" - it is to your data what the bars are to your phone features.

philhyde

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
My blackberry would alternate between showing "EDGE", "edge", and "GPRS" to indicate various levels of connectivity. Not sure yet what the iPhone will show.

Kinkade

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
California
You can get rid of it! Dont listen to these people who probably dont even own an iPhone. ;)

Go into settings-> wi-fi-> turn wi-fi on, and then select a wireless network, and the E will be gone. Replaced by a wi-fi signal indicator.

Just never move from your current location or only travel in areas where there is wi-fi and you never have to experience the E again. :rolleyes:

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I would like mine replaced with either a 3G or a 4G. Would be nice, I can dream can't I.

If you didn't know what the E stood for..

And you bought the phone knowing it didn't have 3G..

Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
You could get rid of it by going into airplane mode but I am not sure you'd rather get used to the E

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I don't know why but when i saw this post made me think of when the E channel would have celebs say E all the damn time in promo spots

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:D

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My first thought was how everything in the late 90's had a lowercase "e" in front of it. I wonder if lowercase "e" is jealous of lowercase "i" for stealing his thunder. Just think, we might all have ePods right now and ePhones. Good grief that sounds disgusting when I say it out loud.

Now that my eMac nostalgia is out of the way, let me say this: There is a way you can use a Windows Mobile dumbphone smartphone that has 3g to create a wifi hotspot in your pants (sexy) that your iPhone can have constant access to. Kinda a pain in the...er...pants, but it's doable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.