Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiezzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Damn! Complete accident! I had my iphone in my top pocket at bent over the sink and the phone fell in. I quickly dried it and tried to turn it off but it wouldn't. It just kept saying something about this adapter will not work with the iphone. I tried to restart by holding down home and top button and it finally restarted. However, now the whole bottom half of the screen is not sensitive to touch. Once the phone locks I can't do anything. I can only answer calls by using my bluetooth headset to answer. I heard some stuff about Apple knowing if has been damaged by checking a water sensor. Does anyone know this to be true? Man, accidents happen and I just really don't want to have to pay for a whole new phone.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Damn! Complete accident! I had my iphone in my top pocket at bent over the sink and the phone fell in. I quickly dried it and tried to turn it off but it wouldn't. It just kept saying something about this adapter will not work with the iphone. I tried to restart by holding down home and top button and it finally restarted. However, now the whole bottom half of the screen is not sensitive to touch. Once the phone locks I can't do anything. I can only answer calls by using my bluetooth headset to answer. I heard some stuff about Apple knowing if has been damaged by checking a water sensor. Does anyone know this to be true? Man, accidents happen and I just really don't want to have to pay for a whole new phone.

Sorry to hear about that! This happened to me a week ago..

First, dry out the Dock Connector on the bottom VERY well. Second, hehe, my iPhone got in a infinite loop of turning on and off, so I gently tapped it on the table and that stopped. Now the screen, water must have gotten deep inside the phone. For a while on my iphone the headphone didnt work because the headphone/lock switch is one assembl, so see if your headphones work. And my headphone jack is half pink and half white in the bottom.

Hope things get better.

wiezzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Yup, the sensor does look different from the pic that guy posted. I am will upload the pic in a few. The sensor is half red half white.

Sorry to hear about that! This happened to me a week ago..

First, dry out the Dock Connector on the bottom VERY well. Second, hehe, my iPhone got in a infinite loop of turning on and off, so I gently tapped it on the table and that stopped. Now the screen, water must have gotten deep inside the phone. For a while on my iphone the headphone didnt work because the headphone/lock switch is one assembl, so see if your headphones work. And my headphone jack is half pink and half white in the bottom.

Hope things get better.

Mine did the same thing with the loop of turning on and off, never staying off. The only thing that stops it is if I plug it in. Then it will go to the main screen, but of course I can't unlock because of bottom half of the screen not being sensitive to touch. Did your phone work right away after you got it to stop looping?

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Yup, the sensor does look different from the pic that guy posted. I am will upload the pic in a few. The sensor is half red half white.

Yup, that's exactly what will happen to it. It was posted on a website linked on the iPhone Blog.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Mine did the same thing with the loop of turning on and off, never staying off. The only thing that stops it is if I plug it in. Then it will go to the main screen, but of course I can't unlock because of bottom half of the screen not being sensitive to touch. Did your phone work right away after you got it to stop looping?

Yes it did work after that, but unlike you, my screen still worked.. Sorry

Water sensor pic attached!

Attachments

• iphone 004.jpg
    iphone 004.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 7,873

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I am going to keep my iPhone away from water. The sensor freaks me out.

wiezzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
sensor pics

Attachments

• DSC00866.JPG
    DSC00866.JPG
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 2,705
  • DSC00862.JPG
    DSC00862.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,554

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Is there any way that red spot could be covered up? It's probably possible, but could void your warranty all the same.

sPAULj

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2004
I know this is ate in the conversation, but I once had a sensor go on me and a dab of bleach made it go white.... you might try that and then take it into an apple store.

skierdb526

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
or if its a corrosive thing pick up some rust remover and use sparingly around the abused area. It did charms for me with my samsung after being left in the rain well in taco bell. I returned it without those verizon punks noticing a thing.

aferrar

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
I actually just went through a similar iphone hell this week, but fortunately thanks to everyones help it worked out. I was at a party on Saturday night where I got a little intoxicated and somehow tripped into an unlit jacuzzi. I immediately hopped right out and searched my pockets to find my soaked iphone which had turned off while under water. I handed it to someone who went inside and dried it off as well as they could. I instinctively tried to turn it back on and it was unresponsive. I then laid it down and went to sleep, the next morning I went online and read about what methods I should use to have a chance at it working again. I then removed the sim card tray and left the phone in front of a fan for two days. I then intermittently set it on a towel on top of my toaster oven set at about 170 degrees until it got pretty warm and then I would turn the toaster off. Over night I set it on top of my computer which kept it pretty warm as well. I also left it overnight in the upright position in order for the water to drain out. I also left it in a bowl of rice at one point just to try every method out. Today I finally plugged it back into my computer and everything came back on fine. :) The only thing is that at the top of my screen there is a small area where it is slightly lighter black than everywhere else, but barely noticeable. Thanks a lot everyone!!! P.S.-I will no longer carry my phone around any body of water while I am drunk, I promise.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
This happened to my dad, the iPhone was submerged for 5 full minuted but it survived without any damage, I am sorry yours didn't..

What we did after taking it out of the water was to blow the dock and headphone jack with compressed air and after that put the iphone in a room with a de-humidifier all night. ultimately it was allright.

And yes, the sensor did change red, but not like a red drop but the whole sensor.

ModifiedReality

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Corvallis, OR
I hate how cell phone have water sensors. They knew I was full of it when "I don't know why it stopped working". Lol, didn't want to tell them I was drunk and it fell in the toilet.

aferrar

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
This sucks

Well i thought that I was in the clear, but now my phone is acting up. After I let it dry for 5 days, it worked fine and then all of a sudden started acting funny. I can only turn it on by plugging it in, and once I unplug it I only have about a minute where I can push the top button and have the screen turn on. After that, I can still receive calls and everything, but I cannot just turn the screen on and make a call or anything. I have restored it and nothing happened. When I took it to the apple store, the guy said that all he could do is swap it out for $250!!!. Considering that I paid $299 for it, I'm not sure what I should do. HELP!!!

badLuck

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
my IPhone took a Dip in my ****

on the hope that it will work after drying but i gona go crazy

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
My husband dropped the phone in the kitchen, it bounced off the floor and into the cat's waterbowl. It did some funky things (colors on screen), etc. then wouldn't shut off, etc. Later it looked & acted pristine but the battery runs down. At full charge with non-use, it'll go down to 70 or 50% in 30-45 minutes.

I restored it for him but no dice. I took a flashlight to his/my phones and I can't see any pink on his indicator. I'm still hopeful today will find it working but it's been about 5 days now.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
My wife dropped her (non-iPhone) cell phone in the toilet at work a few years ago. It was right after a flush so she fished it out and immediately tried to turn it on. She then proceeded to buy a new one. When I got home from work I set her old phone on the heat duct (it was winter so heat was coming out) and left there for a couple of days. After that it was fine. I moved my number over (since it was newer then mine) and used the "toilet phone" until I upgraded to a Palm Treo. I know of others who got limited use of their cell phone after washing.

I would recommend subjecting the phone to low heat for a while to give the water a chance to evaporate (I like the toaster oven suggestion above but be careful). There is no accounting for corrosion though (which the heat will excellerate). The trick is to get the water evaporated and then the vapor out of the phone so it doesn't condensate. Good luck.

I wonder if there is a way to make that sensor water proof before any accidents occur?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Right - I've always wanted a plug for the headphone port as it's worried me a bit for dust/debris, etc. There must be something (rubber) commonly available that'll fit them. I'm going to search around for this.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I don't understand how so many people are dropping their iPhones into water.
I guess, it's hard for me to imagine as I've never dropped an electronic device of any kind in water.
:confused:

slbjr

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
What worked for me...

I dropped my iphone in a toilet (yes, not good). I grabbed it within a few seconds but there was already water under the screen, phone shorting out, could not turn off, screen did not respond.

I took out the sim card, shook the phone in a towel, dried it with a hair dryer (not too hot), and then cooked it in the oven. Seriously!

I took a small baking pan, but about an inch of rice in the bottom to insulate the phone from the direct heat, and cooked it for 8 hours total at about 130 degrees. The phone works fine now! No trace of water except for the red half of the water sensor lit up (half white/half red now).

I hope you have my luck - and keep it away from water! I recommend turning it off if it will respond before you cook it, but I didn't have that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.