Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
It appears that Apple filed a number of new trademarks in early July.

Apple has added Lynx, Cougar, Leopard, and Tiger to their collection of trademarks, under the common category of "computers; computer software; computer operating system software".

This may suggest that Apple will be continuing on their recent spree of naming major Mac OS X releases after members of the feline family.

Apple has also registered two other graphical trademarks. Firewire 1394 Compliant and AU.

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
I like it.

Fits with the 10.9 being the ninth life...like cats...nine lives...cats...yea...

I can see 10.9 Lion - The King of the Jungle.

Well crap, 10.0-10.9 would be 10 lives. Stupid math.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is the text "AU" actually mentioned somewhere, or just the graphic? When I looked at the graphic, I saw it more as "AV" (with rounded edges) rather than "AU".

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The trademark says "AU"

I didn't link it directly, because the links time-out.

I don't know exactly what AU stands for. I thought maybe Audio Units... but looking around, nothing bears that icon.

arn

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Sounds good to me...

Originally posted by DanUk2003
I really like the way Apple has used these names for O/S titles...

It certainly beats WindozeXP(Xperience)

Yeah, like at SJ's WWDC keynote where he showed a black panther and then a "cow" eating grass (symbolizing MS Longhorn).

It was quite nice!!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
The mac with nine lives

Originally posted by herocero
what is AU?

AU means Audio Units which is the name of the sound engine in OS X.

As for the feline names, I think Apple is on to a good thing; better than naming the operating system after a cow or bull, or whatever a 'Longhorn' is supposed to be.

Maybe if Apple ever makes a cut-down OS X for portable devices they could name it after domestic cats, for example, Siamese, Persian, Minx, etc.

The cat theme can even be integrated in the system sounds. Perhaps the start-up chime of Macs can be replaced with a roaring panther, jaguar, cougar, etc.

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
So now I guess, lynx, the web browser ("computer software") will have to change its name ¬_¬'

I do not think so...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
cats names sure blow the pants of M$ longhorn...... or even XPerience. Yeah a piss poor experience for anyone whos ever used XP

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by elmimmo
So now I guess, lynx, the web browser ("computer software") will have to change its name ¬_¬'

I do not think so...

Lynx has also been used for other products. I think Apple can get away with it because it's a non competitive product. That's how come they can use Mac OSX even though OSX is another operating system all together. They were able to get away with it as long as they kepth the Mac in front of OSX.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mac15
cats names sure blow the pants of M$ longhorn...... or even XPerience. Yeah a piss poor experience for anyone whos ever used XP

All the recent names for Microsoft operating systems come from the Whistler/Black Comb ski area in British Columbia. Longhorn is the name of a a bar in a town near the ski areas.

But I stray off tract. Yes, the cat names are much better then the WinBloze names.

Art Vandelay

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
This is the actual Audio Units logo.

indexau_071603.gif

Pancake

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
What about the Atari Lynx portable game system. Does that count as a "computer"? Would anyone care other than me? Also, the Lynx was my High School mascot and I didn't much like High School.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Pancake
What about the Atari Lynx portable game system. Does that count as a "computer"? Would anyone care other than me?

Are you the only one that thought about it? No. Are you the only one that cares? Probably. :p

Tequila Grandma

macrumors regular
May 17, 2003
Boston MA
Re: The mac with nine lives

Originally posted by Sol
after a cow or bull, or whatever a 'Longhorn' is supposed to be.
Hook 'em, horns! Ahem...

I think it's a bit weird that they're latching on to the codenames of the products for marketing, but I suppose it does help some people to more easily tell them apart. I've always wondered just what will happen when they reach OS 11. Will they just ditch "X" altogether, will it be "OS XI", or will they just follow OS 10.9 with OS 10.9.6.7.5 etc etc etc, so that they'll never have to give up their precious X?

Another only somewhat unrealted thing... Who else thinks that the "X" logo for Panther looks downright retarded?

Arigato,
Brook

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by Art Vandelay
This is the actual Audio Units logo.
Nice logo.

About the numbering of OS X beyond 10.9: 10.10 and 10.11 are very good possibilities in my eyes. It just wins or fails on the marketing behind it.

Oh, and I like the Panther logo, it's shiny and more professional than the Jaguar logo. But I also like the G5 case...

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
sticking with the X is a both a good thing and a bad thing, it's good for advertising and stuff but it's bad for the average user.. if in five years from now we are still using Mac OS X lunx or tiger or what ever they call it... the average user will think that it's the same old OS launched in 2000... it would also bring up they problem of paying not wanted to pay for a new OS every year cuz it has the same name, that could explain the cat names though... Apple were using the old naming scheme we would be in OS 13 by now no??

Thank You
MaT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.