Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
I am trying to get some videos on my iPhone but it just wont sync. I tried TV shows ripped with Handbrake (H.264/AAC,544x366, 900kbps). It shows up in iTunes but iPhones never syncs it. Right now there is no pther video in my itunes and I asked iPhone to sync every movie/tv show still no success. I can see the video in the iPhone sync options but it never works.

Then I used QTPro to convert the video for iPhone but it compresses the video with defualt settings and doesnt allow me change the resolution/bitrate or anything. Any ways it gives me an m4v file which is as big as the original file, took bout 30 min(on my CD MB) to convert the 25 minute video and iPhone will sync it now.

So..
1. Why is iPhone not syncing the original mp4 h.264 videos(I tried 10 more videos with no luck)

2. If I have no option but to convert all the videos(which are already h.264 encoded) I have through QTPro, then how can I change resolution, bit rate? If I have to re-encode everything then I`d like to use a lower bitrate so as to keep the file size down.

Edit: BTW it`s an unlocked iPhone which I unlocked by following modmyiphone tutorial.

leetard

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
2 Step Process...

Handbreak is fantastic and it works very well! BUT sometimes (especially with older versions of Handbreak) after you put the file in itunes, you have to select the file and then go to ADVANCED>CONVERT SELECTION FOR IPOD.
That will make two files, delete the old one and sync the new one!

That should do it.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Getting this problem myself. Even tried going back to the default "iPhone" setting and the video's still won't sync.

Wonder if it is something with the newest update to handbrake as with all the same settings it was working just fine.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Handbreak is fantastic and it works very well! BUT sometimes (especially with older versions of Handbreak) after you put the file in itunes, you have to select the file and then go to ADVANCED>CONVERT SELECTION FOR IPOD.
That will make two files, delete the old one and sync the new one!

That should do it.

Well it did work but it increased the file size to 150 MB from 90 MB. And it took bout 20 min to convert the video. Not good.:(

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I was having the same problem myself but I realized that its the screen resolution. It needs to be 640-360 or real close to those settings. You can change that in handbreak when u convert. Just click on pictures settings at the bottom. Another good program to use is MPEG STREAMCLIP and u can download that on Apples website under video.
I seem to have a problem using QT PRO for whatever reason. I like MPEG streamclip because of the different settings I use. All my videos are in QT format MPEG 4. The icons are QT and not iTunes. Hope this helps

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

and they are h.264 too.

wlmowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Definately check the screen resolution settings. iPhone screen is 480X320, so you should be using those as max setting. If you are using Handbrake, there is an iPhone preset. Use that to limit the screen resolution to the appropriate size (and you can still adjust bit-rate after selection of the iPhone preset). I've converted dozens of video files and not had a single problem using this method.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Definately check the screen resolution settings. iPhone screen is 480X320, so you should be using those as max setting. If you are using Handbrake, there is an iPhone preset. Use that to limit the screen resolution to the appropriate size (and you can still adjust bit-rate after selection of the iPhone preset). I've converted dozens of video files and not had a single problem using this method.

Thats the odd problem. I've used the iPhone preset with just the addition of two pass as a default for the longest and it has worked with no problems. Went to do the last disk of a TV show and ....well they won't sync now. Everything looks to be exactly the same.

No clue what is going on but something snuck in on me.

Rook

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
1.1.1??

I had ripped copies of 300 and other movies to my ipod and they worked fine on my iphone, that is until the new 1.1.1 software. Coincidence? :cool:

wlmowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Thats the odd problem. I've used the iPhone preset with just the addition of two pass as a default for the longest and it has worked with no problems. Went to do the last disk of a TV show and ....well they won't sync now. Everything looks to be exactly the same.

No clue what is going on but something snuck in on me.

Did you actually reselect the iPhone preset when you started to convert the new disc? I have noticed that even though Handbrake "appears" to save the iPhone preset select when you open a new video resource (a new disc), it does not retain the preset resolution settings. After opening a new video resource for processing, you need to reselect (click) the iPhone preset in order for the Handbrake software to automatically select the appropriate video resolutions for the iPhone. Check the video settings on the video files which will not sync (open them in Quicktime and use Quicktime to show the file video stats which include resolution information).

I discovered this issue when processing multiple dvds for conversion (I rip 4-5 full length dvds to disc and then add them to the Handbrake que for processing overnight). I selected the iPhone preset for the first and just kept opening the new resource files and selecting add to que. I ended up having to reprocess all the files but the first disc because Handbrake did not automatically apply the resolution settings for the iPhone preset to the subsequent resources.

Coco Galey

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
how to load MP4 music video on iphone

Hey, IamNOSUPERMAN.

I have an unlocked iphone as well. I had problem to load movies on my iphone for a few weeks. I finally figured out and have them loaded to my iphone successfully. If the movies are realdy in MP4 file, it is very easy to load it.

Plug in ur iphone, open itune, and click on device. The page pop up with your iphone icon. On the top of the page, there are buttons of: Summary, Info, Ringtones, Music, Photos, Podcasts, Video. Click on Video, then TV SHOWS, and MOVIES pop out. Check off "Sync movies", and check off the title of the movies you want to sync. You are ready to go!

Hope it helps!

Coco:)

hckypris98

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Syncing ripped dvd from handbrake(newest version) to itunes 8 & sync with iphone 3g

Hello...I have ripped my dvd on handbreak using the preset for iphone. I copied it over to itunes 8 and used the "convert to ipod or iphone version" and it still will not sync. I am at a loss...don't know what to do. I refuse to buy videos from itunes...since i already own them on dvd...any advice out there?

Aj2488

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
Well it did work but it increased the file size to 150 MB from 90 MB. And it took bout 20 min to convert the video. Not good.:(

20 minutes? My iTunes has been converting Forgetting Sarah Marshall for over 3 hours now and its not even 1/3 of the way done.... It's going to be a long night for the laptop. :eek:

Toneboat923

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
I ripped all my movies with handbreak, and they worked fine on my ipod but wont sync with my iphone 3g..im so fustrated right now...got a long trip comming up and was looking foward to watching some of my movies

desbyrne

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks!

Thank you so much for your blow-by-blow description.

It sounds so silly but I spent ages trying to figure out why I couldn't synch my Handbrake ripped DVD only to eventually realise when I saw your steps that I wasnt clicking the damned proper box!

Hey, IamNOSUPERMAN.

I have an unlocked iphone as well. I had problem to load movies on my iphone for a few weeks. I finally figured out and have them loaded to my iphone successfully. If the movies are realdy in MP4 file, it is very easy to load it.

Plug in ur iphone, open itune, and click on device. The page pop up with your iphone icon. On the top of the page, there are buttons of: Summary, Info, Ringtones, Music, Photos, Podcasts, Video. Click on Video, then TV SHOWS, and MOVIES pop out. Check off "Sync movies", and check off the title of the movies you want to sync. You are ready to go!

Hope it helps!

Coco:)

geowarrior

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Did you actually reselect the iPhone preset when you started to convert the new disc? I have noticed that even though Handbrake "appears" to save the iPhone preset select when you open a new video resource (a new disc), it does not retain the preset resolution settings. After opening a new video resource for processing, you need to reselect (click) the iPhone preset in order for the Handbrake software to automatically select the appropriate video resolutions for the iPhone. Check the video settings on the video files which will not sync (open them in Quicktime and use Quicktime to show the file video stats which include resolution information).

I discovered this issue when processing multiple dvds for conversion (I rip 4-5 full length dvds to disc and then add them to the Handbrake que for processing overnight).

LOL, I have just experienced exactley the same problem. Thank you fro pointing this small but very important issue out

goOseboss

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
Sync mp4 files with iphone in Itunes

Drag the mp4 file to Itunes choose the file and click on advance and click
on Create Ipod or Iphone version. You can delete the mp4 file if you dont want
it in your Itunes folder anymore. Click apply and sync.

Happy days....

maplereureu

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
Hi everyone.

i too used to have this problem of being unable to sync the file, but i found a simple solution to it. firstly, right-click the movie you want to sync and click "get info". go to the "options" tab and change the media kind to "music video". the movie will be transferred to the "music" category BUT when you sync it, it would appear in the "videos" tab in your iphone/ipod.

Hope it helped.... :D

KlayVessel

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Though some of the above helped me. I found another clue for the problem I had that may assist others - and the reason the above post probably also found that it worked to change the video type to "Music video".

I had enabled restrictions on my iPhone4 for other reasons - mostly so my young son would not accidentally delete any apps when he did get a hold of it. What I didn't realize was that when restrictions are enabled the default was (or perhaps I set it at the time) "No movies allowed". So, even if the movies synced correctly then they would not show in the Videos app (now that iOS 5 separates these from the Music app).

I also found that encoding in H.264 for a video is fine, however, doing so with a Music video would not work; instead it had to be MPEG4.

So to be sure you can sync...

• The file name should be *.m4v (though *.mp4 does work for me).
  • You need to ensure that syncing videos is selected for your iPhone/iPad.
  • You need to check the specific videos and/or use "all".
  • Using the Create iPhone or iPad Version advanced option wasn't necessary as the original format was correct (this didn't help me because of the restriction issue and this switched the encoding from MPEG4 to H.264 so it wouldn't work as a "Music video"). You still may need to do this if the original encoder created a file out-of-spec.
  • Review the movie restriction settings on the device.

Last edited:

dexterina

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hi everyone.

i too used to have this problem of being unable to sync the file, but i found a simple solution to it. firstly, right-click the movie you want to sync and click "get info". go to the "options" tab and change the media kind to "music video". the movie will be transferred to the "music" category BUT when you sync it, it would appear in the "videos" tab in your iphone/ipod.

Hope it helped.... :D

This totally resolved my problem and I avoided a second (and long) conversion process, thanks! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.