Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Just a heads up to anyone that is considering removal of the full body invisible shield.... Think Twice!!!!

My shield started to discolor and I was generally unhappy with it. After only 2 days of being on the device, it stripped the paint off the iPhone logo and serial # from the back of the phone. You can still make out the numbers but it is now very difficult to read and looks rather odd.

Attachments

• P1010094.jpg
    P1010094.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,689

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
That is a real shame. Iwould never have thought it could do that. I am glad i dont have it on, but thats a good thing to post about. I dontt hink ill be putting one of those things on anytime soon anymore, wont even think twice about it.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
One month, No issues

I purchased the iphone and a invisible shield. Took me a good hour to install and a few days later I noticed a small bubble on the back of the iphone. Peeled up the cover sprayed the back. No issues with peeling the paint at all. I love not having a BIG BULKY case. Plus if anything gets between the case and the iphone it acts like sandpaper.:eek:

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Just a heads up to anyone that is considering removal of the full body invisible shield.... Think Twice!!!!

My shield started to discolor and I was generally unhappy with it. After only 2 days of being on the device, it stripped the paint off the iPhone logo and serial # from the back of the phone. You can still make out the numbers but it is now very difficult to read and looks rather odd.
Compain to both Apple and Invisible Shield.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Compain to both Apple and Invisible Shield.

Ya... I have already complained to Invisible Shield but I am yet to get a response. I can't see this falling in Apple's court but it may be worth a shot. I'll keep you all posted. Who would have known this would turn into such a disaster.... I think the way Invisible Shield handles this will be a good test of their customer service for everyone to see.....

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
A lot of the time when you're removing things like the invisible shield and stickers it's best to heat them up a bit. I wouldn't heat the iPhone too much on account of the battery, but a little just to loosen the adhesive on the shield.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
A lot of the time when you're removing things like the invisible shield and stickers it's best to heat them up a bit. I wouldn't heat the iPhone too much on account of the battery, but a little just to loosen the adhesive on the shield.

Good point. Unfortunately that advice comes a little late for me. The bottom line is, Invisible Shield advertises this product as removable, and if it is going to damage the phone without using the proper removal technique, then such instructions should be supplied.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007

Very good point. You can also use a little of the spray.. not too much.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Wow... I always thought that the markings were etched into the case, as opposed to being painted on the back.... learn something new every day

It's actually both. Etched into the case and painted with some sort of silverish color. When you remove the shield, you are left with ONLY the etch which is barely visible...

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

smacman said:

Good point. Unfortunately that advice comes a little late for me. The bottom line is, Invisible Shield advertises this product as removable, and if it is going to damage the phone without using the proper removal technique, then such instructions should be supplied.

Did it really damage the phone? This is really getting ridiculoous. PEOPLE IT'S JUST A PHONE. Getting a case to protect from drops is one thing but come on.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Did it really damage the phone? This is really getting ridiculoous. PEOPLE IT'S JUST A PHONE. Getting a case to protect from drops is one thing but come on.

Yes it did! The whole reason why most people invest in a case like the Invisible Shield is to keep the iPhone looking like it was meant to look. My phone does NOT look like it was meant to look anymore. I think a lot of people will be happy to have some warning about this instead of finding out the hard way like me.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Just an update for everyone. It has been 3 days and Invisible Shield is still yet to even respond to my email. :mad:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Have you tried taking it up with Apple yet?
Probably not a great idea as Apple isn't fond of users using such shields. There have been threads/ posts stating as much, and I got heat from a Genius about my BSE.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
That's a pity; I've just ordered a BSE for my forthcoming iPhone. What did the Genius say?
That is holds in too much heat and the phone is liable to overheat. :rolleyes:

Seems pretty bogus as I've now had BSE on two different phones and they've both run cooler than the one I didn't happen to have one on anyway. :p

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Just an update for everyone. It has been 3 days and Invisible Shield is still yet to even respond to my email. :mad:

CALL THEM. I had a problem with an IS on my 5G iPod. They never returned emails so I called them - great customer service over the phone.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
CALL THEM. I had a problem with an IS on my 5G iPod. They never returned emails so I called them - great customer service over the phone.

I took your advice. As I type this, I am still on hold and have been for nearly an hour. I am of course calling from out of country on my own dime as well.

What good is a warranty if the company does not answer phone calls or emails? I am very close to cutting my losses on this mess. My mission will soon change from trying to resolve this to spreading my story out as widely as possible.

Lartymarf

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

u should just hang up after 5 minutes of no response and call them up again.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i remove my BSE at the back because my eco shield came in. damn in less than 2days iphone letters stripped just a little on BSE.

thank god for eco shield. im really impressed on this case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.