Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
My office setup;
- mac mini (intel core duo), tiger to be updated to leopard
- macbook (intel core duo), tiger to be updated to leopard
- linux server
- 4 windoze pcs

I'd like to replace my linux server with a Mac based system but don't know which hardware get. Latest Mac mini, iMac or the Pro?

I'd also like to get a heavy duty Pro machine in the near future for multimedia work. Can this double up as a server?
Thanx!

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
My office setup;
- mac mini (intel core duo), tiger to be updated to leopard
- macbook (intel core duo), tiger to be updated to leopard
- linux server
- 4 windoze pcs

I'd like to replace my linux server with a Mac based system but don't know which hardware get. Latest Mac mini, iMac or the Pro?

I'd also like to get a heavy duty Pro machine in the near future for multimedia work. Can this double up as a server?
Thanx!

Depends on the type of server you need. If it's going to be internet-accessible, I'd certainly recommend that you do not run servers on a production machine, but for simple local file or iTunes serving, then you can probably get away with using your main desktop system.

Personally, I use an old G4 as a file/mail/web/media & IRC server (which replaced a linux box that I used previously). It's currently running Tiger Server, but I'm not going to bother to upgrade it beyond that as it's getting old. When I replace it, I'll probably go for a mini + external firewire drive, install Leopard client and bolt on the extra software I need (which is pretty straightforward to do).

In your position, I think I'd probably hang a big firewire drive off the back of that mac mini you have and use that as a server. The forthcoming Mac Pro would then become my production machine.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Thanx Tersono. You recommend a Leopard client instead of the server. I forgot to mention that I have 7 staff using a combination of windoze and mac pcs. Will the extra software cover achieve the same purpose? Which software?
Cheerio,
Hellene

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
First off, what are you doing, what do you need to do, and what can't the linux server do that Leopard will (this is going to be really weird, because for the love of me I can't think of anything linux can't do that Leopard server can)?

i think leopard server sounds like it should be pretty good. why would you advise not getting it?
Personally, given that every one of my server needs is better filled by another free OS (read: *bsd, linux) better suited towards actual server stuff, I don't see the point in separately purchasing Leopard Server.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Personally, given that every one of my server needs is better filled by another free OS (read: *bsd, linux) better suited towards actual server stuff, I don't see the point in separately purchasing Leopard Server.

well, not everyone is good with linux, or setting up and maintaining servers. leopard server is supposed to make it easier, correct?

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
My Linux server was setup by a techie guy and it's pretty closed to me. I'm migrating my office to Mac and Leopard server provides just the functionality I need. As Tersono has advised, I'll now install it on my Mac Mini. I'm just glad it can run properly on that.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
My Linux server was setup by a techie guy and it's pretty closed to me. I'm migrating my office to Mac and Leopard server provides just the functionality I need. As Tersono has advised, I'll now install it on my Mac Mini. I'm just glad it can run properly on that.

glad to see someone switching to mac server :)

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Thanx Tersono. You recommend a Leopard client instead of the server. I forgot to mention that I have 7 staff using a combination of windoze and mac pcs. Will the extra software cover achieve the same purpose? Which software?
Cheerio,
Hellene

Well, it depends on what you want the server to do ;-)

If you're going to want to run it as a domain controller, then you'll save yourself a lot of work by going for OS X Server. If you're just going to be running it as a file share, however, then the client version plus a copy of SharePoints (freeware) will do all you need.

The other thing to think about is whether you'll running mail and web servers as well - if so, then you have a choice. You can install a mail server fairly easily on OS X client using something like PostFix Enabler or MailServe (inexpensive shareware), but they're both fairly basic. If you need server-side spam filtering, public folders, calendaring and the like, then it's either a commercial package such as Kerio, or, again, OS X Server. Web services are easy on either OS, although multiple sites are a tad easier to handle on the server version (not enough to be worth the extra money on its own, though).

The beauty of OS X Server is that it offers a wide range of services - including an open-source implementation of Active Directory, which works very well with both Windows and Mac clients - in a package that's much more straightforward to handle than, say, a Windows or Linux server. If, however, all you need is the basics, then client can handle it quite nicely with minimal effort.

I make my living as a Systems Admin and have installed OS X-based servers both ways at various times, dependent on the requirements of the situation. Ultimately it's all going to depend on how sophisticated you need to get.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Sorry to butt in on the thread folks, but an additional question to the OP's topic: can I run OS X server acceptably on a dual-core mac mini? I suppose I'll be able to, I just want to make sure I'm not crippling the mini by doing it.

I'm really intrigued by the podcast server as well as the enhanced wiki server capabilities, so I'm really tempted to bite the bullet and migrate from Tiger client to Leopard Server. Is this a common upgrade path?

The mini has 1 Gig RAM, so I'm a little leery in that respect, but it is a low load machine so maybe I'll be ok. It mainly runs my ventrilo server, my sister's and father's websites (simple html in their respective Sites directories), and my wordpress blog - should I run in fear or should I expect a painless migration?

Thanks in advance.

-p-

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
<snip>
The beauty of OS X Server is that it offers a wide range of services - including an open-source implementation of Active Directory, which works very well with both Windows and Mac clients - i<snip>

Man, I cringed when you compared OpenDirectory to Active Directory.

Poor Leopard, being compared to Microsoft's poorly put together LDAP 2.5 implementation. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.