Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Globalscape is sending out this download link to the CuteFTP Beta for anyone who asks:

http://www.globalscape.com/downloads/cuteftpmac.html

The download starts automatically when you click on the download link. Contains both Mac OS X and Classic versions of the software. 30-day Trial.

Version 1.0
Build: Jul 7, 2003

gregnacu

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Canada
Not nearly as good as Transmit 2

I downloaded Cute FTP,and tried it. first impressions are that it's not nearly as good as Transmit 2. It doesn't use the standard customizable Toolbars standard to Cocoa apps. It's management of favourites is not nearly as convenient as transmit's. It doesn't let you fully hide the column that is "Your Stuff", since That is the first thing I ever do with an FTP Client. The Finder is what I use to show me My Stuff thank you very much. And the whole program just seems over loaded with unnecessary buttons and widgets and junk that makes it look much more like a convoluted windows program than the elegant simplicity I've come to expect from Mac Apps. Just my two cents, but I do a LOT of FTPing, and I can't fathom leaving Transmit2 for CuteFTP Mac version.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
CuteFTP Beta

Firtsly,

People should stop poo-poo'ing PC apps being ported over to MAC. this is a great thing. More apps coming over (whether you like them or not) is sign and indication that pc developers are starting to shed an eye to the mac platform.

We should encourage with thanks, not discourage with comments.

CuteFTP is a great app on its own. Regardless of the interface differences that you are used to.

Bravo, and I hope to see more PC apps get ported soon.

OS X is a great operating system, and apple needs all the developers they can get.

IDTheft

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
US, Asia, Europe....Everywhere
I've used CuteFTP (on windows) for about 3 years now. It's an okay program.

I've since switched to a program called 3Dftp on the windows side because it can upload 19 threads at a time. I have to update the company website (charts) each weekend with about 3000 charts. 3Dftp cuts down on the time to upload to about a fraction of it.

Does anyone know if there is something similar on the OS X side i.e. multi-threaded ftp clients?
:rolleyes:

mangoduck

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2002
lost at sea
idtheft: transmit uses a queue, if that's what you mean. i would assume there's others that do as well.

just downloaded cuteftp. initial reactions:

- interface is cluttered, lines lines lines.
- looks like a standard customizable toolbar, but isn't.
- conection process is strange (dropping the whole window down to accomodate another bar).
- various inconsistencies with buttons and interface elements.
- no indication of sorting method in list views (highlighted header and asc/desc triangle).
- i like the textual feedback pane.
- switching from pasv mode doesn't seem to change anything, still connects with pasv. checkbox in ftp site settings is grayed and refers to global setting in prefs which does not agree.
- i like the ability to enter commands, but even basic ones aren't understood for some reason (ls, cd, mkdir, but pwd works)

sonicsessions

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
i am localized
I haven't tried the mac beta, but I must say that when I was using windows on a regular basis, I used CuteFTP Pro constantly. Pro was awesome (I don't know about the regular version).

As for people with complaints about the software... remember it is a beta, and if you have problems with it, say something to GlobalScape... isn't that the idea of beta testing anyway?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: CuteFTP Beta

Originally posted by tYNS
Firtsly,

People should stop poo-poo'ing PC apps being ported over to MAC. this is a great thing. More apps coming over (whether you like them or not) is sign and indication that pc developers are starting to shed an eye to the mac platform.

We should encourage with thanks, not discourage with comments.

CuteFTP is a great app on its own. Regardless of the interface differences that you are used to.

Bravo, and I hope to see more PC apps get ported soon.

OS X is a great operating system, and apple needs all the developers they can get.

There's no poo-pooing, it's just stating opinion. I use Transmit as well, I downloaded and tried CuteFTP and I don't see it as a real threat to Transmit. As noted above, it lacks a few features that make it mac like, and I don't really go for the row of icons. Also, because the focus window areas can be opened or closed, they don't scale. This means you get words cut off, very annoying when dealing with file names. Also, I don't care for the manager window.

There is nothing wrong with window apps getting ported to the mac, I welcome it. However, just because an app is successful on the PC in no way means it will garner any such success on the mac side. We have fewer apps because who needs more then 1-2 apps that are just near perfect? I can't ask for much more then what Transmit needs, so to me that means why concern myself with the 8+ other the mac currently has and now we have a new port. And?

Bring it over, but it need be better then what we currently have otherwise we will 'poo-poo' it.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
more progs for mac the better. but for now transmit blows this thing apart

mieses

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2003

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by sonicsessions
As for people with complaints about the software... remember it is a beta, and if you have problems with it, say something to GlobalScape... isn't that the idea of beta testing anyway?
Exactly! It's a Beta, for Christ's sake. The only reason it's currently available is so that folks will test it and provide (constructive) feedback. I think the app has some potential if the developer can find a way to make it more like a Mac app than a pc one. The problem is that GlobalScape is used to developing for Windows, so they don't have a real frame of reference here. Let's all pitch in and take the time to use CuteFTP for a bit and provide some feedback to GlobalScape. Who knows, maybe they'll listen and improve what is apparently a wildly successful app by anyone's definition. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.