Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Does anyone know of a way to change the phone number format in 1.1.1 ? In 1.0.2 I just had to edit the ABPhoneFormats.plist file, but this file doesn't appear to exist in 1.1.1

Thanks,

Mark
UK

gu014

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/PhoneFormats/UIPhoneFormats.plist

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Sure... You need to download the file above onto your Mac. The file is in Binary so I used the following website to convert it:

http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi

I then opened the file on my Mac and copied what was under the 'UK' section of the file to replace what was under the US section. So the US/UK section of the file now has the UK phone formats:

<key>uk</key>
<array>
<string>0### - ### ####</string>
<string>00 $</string>
<string>0## - #### ####</string>
<string>+44 ##########</string>
<string>0#### - ######</string>
</array>
<key>us</key>
<array>
<string>0### - ### ####</string>
<string>00 $</string>
<string>0## - #### ####</string>
<string>+44 ##########</string>
<string>0#### - ######</string>
</array>

Then I saved the file (you don't need to convert back to binary) and reloaded back onto my phone (taking a backup of the original file just incase of problems). Make sure you reboot the iphone and you should now have UK dialling formats..

Mark

SPQR

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Activate internationalisation.
Edit M68AP.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ and set "international" to "true"
Reboot phone and in General Settings you can chose Language / Keyboard and Region Format.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Activate internationalisation.
Edit M68AP.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ and set "international" to "true"
Reboot phone and in General Settings you can chose Language / Keyboard and Region Format.

Thank you!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Sorry again, but whats the server, username and password?

depends...if running 1.0.2 its root/dottie but if running 1.1.1 its mobile (or root again)/alpine. Server is the IP address of your phone. By the way SSH must be installed first

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I'm getting "connection refused" with the user as both root or mobile :( Running 1.1.1 and have installed SSH with iNdependance.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I decided to add the international keyboard to my iphone.

I thought the worst that could happen is that my phone would crash and id have to restore the original file I changed to add the keyboard...

Well I restarted my phone and after about a minute when it started it said it was an iPod in the corner!

Worse than that it would crash immediately!

My ONLY option was to restore the iphone to 1.0.2 which was easy enough although I had to put it into restore mode by holding the buttons down first and then I was back in 1.0.2 unlocked/JB/Activated.

I decided to go back to 1.1.1

BIG MISTAKE!

It only took me a day to fix but I had errors I never even got the first time.

And my blood pressure is through the roof!

So the moral of the story is:

Its STILL more hassle than its worth - I would love the international keyboard but NO WAY am I taking the chance again.

I can live with US style dashes in my phone numbers as it works that way!

Of course I probably edited it wrong...

I copied the file and converted it to xml then copied the xml into notepad and changed the false to true and renamed it to the same as the original file and sent it back over....If that is seriously wrong please let me know why!

OF COURSE I MADE A BACKUP OF THE ORIGINAL FILE!

but even uploading the original back didn't fix the problem and I had to restore.

SO I really wouldn't advise editing this yourself!

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Another question, when I get a new SMS it says new message from +44 07.... instead of saying the name from the Contacts, in 1.0.2 you could change this, how do you do it in 1.1.1?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Try this. Make sure you make backups of all the original files before you modify/replace them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.