Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rskang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I am in the market for 17" Macbook Pro Model and I don't think I can wait till Jan/Feb for the new Penryn Chips. The Apple Online Store is estimating a wait of 7-10 Business Days. I know there was a shortage for 15 inchers with LED display few months ago but as of right now they are shipping in 24hrs (Macbooks Included). So 17" is the only one that has a wait period along with the rumored upcoming power adapters. Many people I know don't prefer the 17" due to Size and portabilty and the New LED screens on 15" has forced many 17" fans to go for 15". So the wait period does not make much sense for me. Even 2 of the 4 Local Apple Stores here do not have the 17" in stock.
Since Leopard is being released in the wild for the first time this Friday. Do you think this means 17" will be getting the LED screen or some kind of upgrade as well. I know Apple is silently working on this. But let me know of your thoughts on this one or is worth a wait for another 2 weeks
With Leopard being released will all the new Macs come with Leopard Pre-Installed Right away as well i.e 26th

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
You know, as much as I would hope for this and love to see it happen ASAP, I have to think that the big (and mostly reliable) rumor sites would have gotten wind of it by now if it was really on its way in the very near future.

Apple has yet to completely sort out the enormous quality control problems they've had with the 15" screens, so even if LED-backlit 17" models were to come out tomorrow, I would personally be waiting a while to see if they suffered from similar problems.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
You know, as much as I would hope for this and love to see it happen ASAP, I have to think that the big (and mostly reliable) rumor sites would have gotten wind of it by now if it was really on its way in the very near future.

Apple has yet to completely sort out the enormous quality control problems they've had with the 15" screens, so even if LED-backlit 17" models were to come out tomorrow, I would personally be waiting a while to see if they suffered from similar problems.

Since there are no 17in backlit LED screens on the PC laptops, I would bet against Apple having a revised 17in MBP with LED/bl screen. Would be nice if they had one for the Penryn announcement early next year, but I have a hunch they will not be seen until Monteviña comes out in late spring/early summer. Unless you absolutely need Leopard & a 17in MBP, I would wait until MWSF in early January to see what is announced. Penryn should be a worthy update to the line.

Didn't Jobs state that they will all be LED by 2008?

If Apple's suppliers cannot produce them in quantity for low enough cost, Apple will wait until that time comes, even if it takes until the end of 2008.

rskang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Here is a news Article I read on Digitimes I should have included this in the earlier post
http://digitimes.com/displays/a20070927PD205.html
Also here is another one from LG
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeCo..._e.jsp?BOARD_IDX=1368&languageSec=E&kinds=IN1

This Article does talk about various other products but this what it says about 17" LED Display for Notebooks
"LG.Philips LCD will also be demonstrating 17-inch wide LCD panel for notebooks that boast color gamut of 100 percent using RGB light emitting diode (LED) backlights, as well as a 13.3-inch wide LCD panel that uses up to 20 percent less power than previous models. This panel is also 40 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter, thanks to the usage of white LED backlights instead of conventional cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL)"

I AGREE this may be not the right time for 17" LED Display but Samsung and LG both made LED Backlight Display for 15.4' Maccbook Pro. I have to agree Jan-Feb is the time most likely for 17 incher's to get the LED. I am sure Steve is eager to get them before others do.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Mackbook pro

It's coming new ones in novemver i bet..they include led screens too:)if not led screens there will be a upgrade..
relax..;)
But if you can't wait just buy the Macbook pro now..
;)

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
It will happen. We're all guessing at a January MWSF inclusion with the Penryn processor. I hope that that they'll do a good Macbook Pro overhaul as well. Add eSATA and more BTO hard drive and video card options. Heck even blu ray.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.