Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keonislili

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Once exported/saved/dragged out of iPhoto:

1) Click open / Open up in Preview
2) Go to Tools
3) Find Adjust Size...
4) All the simple tools for resizing is available on our Macs, no need for downloads!!!!

;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You don't need to do all that. Just drag the image in to Mail.

There is a little menu in the lower-right corner to specify the size of the image you'll send: Small, medium, large. Simple.

keonislili

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Yes, dragging the photo into the New Message space is available for quick resizing. However, the Preview option provides more resizing tools (e.g. you may adjust by % like Mail, pixels for your profile pic, inches for printing). Either way, the Mac pros are lookin' out for us!

:)

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
I am trying to make my pictures 600x800 using iphoto to crop and get the proportions correct and then preview to resize. When I do get the 600x800, the photo is distorted. Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this?

mackb

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Timmins, Ont, Canada
It works, sorta

Thanks guys for your help. I got the size of my avatar pic down to 360 k, but preview wouldn't go any smaller.

What I would like to know is why aren't all these copy, make copy and resize options not available in iPhoto ?...even Picasa has all those options!

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Thanks guys for your help. I got the size of my avatar pic down to 360 k, but preview wouldn't go any smaller.

What I would like to know is why aren't all these copy, make copy and resize options not available in iPhoto ?...even Picasa has all those options!

It's a known bug but Apple have never been able to fix it.

mackb

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Timmins, Ont, Canada
iPhoto

Having migrated from a PC to an iMac, I am surprised that iPhoto is a poor version of Google's Picasa 3. And scaling a pic is easy, even for me!

Is there not a mac program that allows you to manipulate your photos without having to spend $80 for Apature??

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Just use the built in app called 'Preview.' Works fine for me. Go to edit, or tools, and find an option called 'adjust...' then you can adjust the image pixel by pixel.

psyclops

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
This is what I use when resizing a photo from a camera.

iphoto → Open → photos or external device → select file
Double click
Tools
Adjust size (will allow you to pick the number of pixels etc)

bsidesvol1

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
i made an account just to comment on how much i love that if i have an issue, i can always find people with the answers on this site. so thankful.

kennel

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
how to resize a photo

Currently, I have to resize the pixels to 1024 max, AND resize the KB to 350 or a bit less. It took a while, but I found a way to do it. I use Preview.

Double click the photo to open it in Preview. Under the Tools menu, select Adjust size. You get a window in which you can specify the number of pixels. I type in 1024 for width and the program calculates the height. The box also shows the new file size (KB), which I can't change there. I click on OK, then go to the File menu and select Save as... The resulting window shows a slider for Quality. Using that slider can adjust the KB somewhat, enough for me, at least.

Jake 1963

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
This is what I use when resizing a photo from a camera.

iphoto → Open → photos or external device → select file
Double click
Tools
Adjust size (will allow you to pick the number of pixels etc)

Currently, I have to resize the pixels to 1024 max, AND resize the KB to 350 or a bit less. It took a while, but I found a way to do it. I use Preview.

Double click the photo to open it in Preview. Under the Tools menu, select Adjust size. You get a window in which you can specify the number of pixels. I type in 1024 for width and the program calculates the height. The box also shows the new file size (KB), which I can't change there. I click on OK, then go to the File menu and select Save as... The resulting window shows a slider for Quality. Using that slider can adjust the KB somewhat, enough for me, at least.

See, I'm baffled by these instructions. When I double-click a photo, all that happens is that it fills the iphoto screen. Tools doesn't appear as any of the menu options. The available options are File Edit Photos Events Share View Window and Help. Options at the bottom right of the screen are Info Edit Create Add To and Share.

No tools. Am I missing something or has the software changed since these posts?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
No, you're not missing something. The method that psyclops is referring to works in Preview, not iPhoto. Kennel is also referring to Preview, which he does state.

If you want to resize a picture that you have in iPhoto, either drag and drop it on the Desktop and then open it in Preview and use that method. Or, Export it from iPhoto via the File menu, and choose your size from there.

Jake 1963

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
No, you're not missing something. The method that psyclops is referring to works in Preview, not iPhoto. Kennel is also referring to Preview, which he does state.

If you want to resize a picture that you have in iPhoto, either drag and drop it on the Desktop and then open it in Preview and use that method. Or, Export it from iPhoto via the File menu, and choose your size from there.

Ah thanks for that. I hadn't realised that you had to first move the image out of iphoto before using preview. I'll give it a go.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
So, once I've imported all my photos into iPhoto, if I want to resize any, I have to:
  • Export them from iPhoto
  • Resize them using Preview
  • Delete them from iPhoto
  • Re-import into iPhoto

That seems a bit much!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
So, once I've imported all my photos into iPhoto, if I want to resize any, I have to:
  • Re-import into iPhoto

That seems a bit much!

Why delete from iPhoto? Do you want to permanently destroy the photo? Typically you would want to store your pictures in the highest resolution possible, and then make adjustments on different versions of that file... or make the adjustments only during output.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
  • Re-import into iPhoto

That seems a bit much!

No really. iPhoto is meant to store your full resolution images. Any edits made in iPhoto are recorded in a database, and the original image files are not overwritten. You will always have access to the full-sized unedited image files in iPhoto. If you need a resized and/or edited photo to use outside iPhoto then the standard procedure is to export the photo. The recorded edits are applied and a new image file created outside of iPhoto. When you have used it in the external application, you are meant to delete this image file since the original is still in iPhoto, and an edited version can be created again at will.

Dragging a photo from iPhoto to the Desktop is an "export".

This is standard behaviour for all Digital Asset Managers (like iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One, etc). Where iPhoto tends to lag is that the export options are very limited. In the other 3 DAMs listed above you can specify very precise export settings.

For instance with Lightroom you can resize (measured by pixels or inches or mm) to a specific size, to fit within a size, to a specific long edge and/or short edge dimension, etc. etc. As well you can set a MB limit. You can export to all sorts of different file types, and set the JPG quality to a specific number (not iPhoto's 'good/better/best' style). The export settings are very powerful, can be saved as presets for use later on. These Export settings are (more or less) common to Lr, Ap, and C1.

In all of these cases you are meant to use the exported image in your project - but not to store it as a standalone image. I delete 99% of the images that I have exported. I use them, and when the project is done I rarely need that photo - in that state - again. The original is still in Lightroom, and I can re-export whenever I need it again.

Hope this helps.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Export them from iPhoto
Resize them using Preview
No. If you use the Export option from iPhoto's File menu, then you can resize them then. No need to subsequently use Preview.

You'd only need to use Preview if you drag and dropped them out of iPhoto into Finder; eg, your Desktop.

Dragging a photo from iPhoto to the Desktop is an "export".
Not strictly true, as you don't get the true Export options, including resizing, that way.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Not strictly true, as you don't get the true Export options, including resizing, that way.

Not strictly untrue either. It is an "export" in the sense that iPhoto writes the recorded edits to an image it then creates outside of its library. It is also true that you get no options to muck about with, so it's usually not a great way to 'export.'

Let's just say it is in that middle ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.