Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
I understand they are worldwide launches (except iPhone), but I find it hard to believe that they would delay a product launch. I can understand though the way they'd want to time it.

Nevertheless, I don't want to get into an argument. I'm not a business major so [B]I really don't know what I'm talking about here. I just thought the demeanor of that individual's comment was uncalled for. So lets just drop it, get back on topic, and keep the dickish comments to a minimum.

You say you don't know what you're talking about here, then why would you comment on what someone else says and tell them they're incorrect? I was only stating that you have to understand that differences in promotions do exist from country to country, and that this isn't an all American forum.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I'm getting some sponsorship cash through Friday for my blog/video show and are going to order the 2.4Ghz 15" MacBook Pro (refurb) right off the bat this weekend. I'll pick up 4GB of RAM to throw into the system from MacSales.

I caved in early with the Mac Pro purchase, not wanting to wait for updates which were 'coming in the near future'. I'm glad I did, the updates haven't even arrived yet, four months later. I'll be doing the same with the MacBook Pro, buying it right away and putting it into action.

The action time the system will see before the new ones come out far outweighs the advantages I'll receive by waiting in my opinion.

DarrenLamb

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Chicago (Aussie)
Here is some juice. So a member of my family works for an apple Reseller. Yesterday in a meeting with the CEO of said Reseller he told his employees that a new Macbook was about to be released(no specifics but my relative got the impression Friday). The CEO said he can't say much but said it was to be a new design and was going to be at a new pricepoint. He also seemed to think these would sell like Hot Cakes. This makes me think one of two things: 1.the Holy Grail: Ultra Portable may finally be released or
2.a new Macbook at a cheaper price
Both seem plausable. This is all I know just, for intrests sake thought some might like the info. I know no more than what I just said, no elevators involved in this post so dont drill me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
This makes me think one of two things: 1.the Holy Grail: Ultra Portable may finally be released or
Both seem plausable. This is all I know just, for intrests sake thought some might like the info. I know no more than what I just said, no elevators involved in this post so dont drill me.

Apple has to replace the education iMac with something, and a lower cost MacBook would likely be it.

The $899 retail price would allow them a smoking education deal for schools, though it would likely only hit the $999 price.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Here is some juice. So a member of my family works for an apple Reseller. Yesterday in a meeting with the CEO of said Reseller he told his employees that a new Macbook was about to be released(no specifics but my relative got the impression Friday). The CEO said he can't say much but said it was to be a new design and was going to be at a new pricepoint. He also seemed to think these would sell like Hot Cakes. This makes me think one of two things: 1.the Holy Grail: Ultra Portable may finally be released or
Hmmmm interesting bit of insider info there! :) MacRumors proves itself useful yet again :cool: I wonder when the announce will be? :confused:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
No Way This Week

While that's a very interesting novelette you've written, I can tell you with no uncertainty - with absolute metaphysical certainty that this will not happen this weekend. Maybe November 6 but not before then. All PR focus is on Leopard for the next 2 weeks. Apple doesn't dilute their releases the way you suggest they might. As far as the timing you suggest, your work is complete fiction.

Was that a drill? ;)

DarrenLamb

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Chicago (Aussie)
That was a drill. How's the view from your high horse? I am just passing on info that I had heard to condemn it as a work of fiction makes you really look like the silly one. This may or may not be true. It is a rumor. If you don't like hearing rumors find another site to attempt to lord over. That being said I agree that nothing will happen til at least the 6th. Don't shot messengers.

macsensei

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
The entire European Union mac store is down right now. Maintenance for leopard release or.......

Moses

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
I own a first-gen MacBook Pro and will likely replace it late 2008/early 2009 with a new Nehalem-based model.

But having a look at some Dell and Toshiba models today gave me pause.

Apple now sells PCs that happen to run OSX, they can't just give the excuse that they operate in a different ecosystem.

Consider what Toshiba gives you for $2499:

Satellite X205-SLi3
2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (SR-based)
2GB RAM
Dual SLi 8600m GT Graphics with 512MB dedicated VRAM
2 x 160GB HDDs
17inch 16 x 10 widescreen LCD
Combined HD-DVD and DVD-RW Drive
Bluetooth and N Wireless
In-built Webcam, microphone, fingerprint reader
HDMI out, good speakers, lots of ports

Dell, for $2999, offers:

XPS M1730
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (SR-based)
2GB RAM
Dual SLi 8700m GT Graphics with 512MB dedicated VRAM
AEGIA Physics Co-Processor
200GB 7200RPM HDD
And the rest.....

-

Vinz1019

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
While that's a very interesting novelette you've written, I can tell you with no uncertainty - with absolute metaphysical certainty that this will not happen this weekend. Maybe November 6 but not before then. All PR focus is on Leopard for the next 2 weeks. Apple doesn't dilute their releases the way you suggest they might. As far as the timing you suggest, your work is complete fiction.

Was that a drill? ;)

It's *******s like you who are making me reconsider buying a Mac. I don't have anything witty or clever to say to you. All I have to say is maybe you should stop acting like such an elitist. Stop "drilling" everyone who posts a theory other than your's. Because that is what it is after-all, a theory? I see just as much fact backing up your theory as DarrenLamb's. Which is zero, all your Oct. 30 iPod and Intel roadmap talk is all just a guesswork

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
I didn't get a chance to read all 5 threads but I was wondering what is the likely hood of the macbooks getting a redesign by the end of this year?

Or would it just be a mere speed bump?

I'm really hoping they get rid of that nasty combo drive at the entry model...

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Apple now sells PCs that happen to run OSX, they can't just give the excuse that they operate in a different ecosystem.

Sorry for not reading the rest of the post, couldn't wipe the tears of laughter from my face. PC=Personal Computer. Apple have always sold Personal Computers that happen to run OS X. The only difference now is that they also happen to run Windows.
Still waiting for a new Macbook I'm afraid. Not swayed by the argument at all. No amount of fancy hardware will get me near a Windows-based box again. :)

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
I didn't get a chance to read all 5 threads but I was wondering what is the likely hood of the macbooks getting a redesign by the end of this year?

Or would it just be a mere speed bump?

I'm really hoping they get rid of that nasty combo drive at the entry model...
It's all really just guesswork at the moment. But we should see a speed bump with the Santa Rosa chipset and a slightly upgraded integrated GPU. Also, SuperDrives in all models would be a nice feature, but as yet nobody really seems sure. The redesign is currently 50/50. They may even hold off for the redesign until sometime next year though, but I hope not.
Hope that helped a bit :)

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
It's *******s like you who are making me reconsider buying a Mac. I don't have anything witty or clever to say to you. All I have to say is maybe you should stop acting like such an elitist. Stop "drilling" everyone who posts a theory other than your's. Because that is what it is after-all, a theory? I see just as much fact backing up your theory as DarrenLamb's. Which is zero, all your Oct. 30 iPod and Intel roadmap talk is all just a guesswork

While there might be many so-called "elitists" who own macs, there are just as many who own PCs. Regardless, that is a bad reason to not purchase something. Buy a computer for the computer alone and no other reason. That's like saying that you love Porsche's but don't want to purchase them because you don't want people to think you're the stereotypical person who owns a Porsche. In effect, by not purchasing one based on that, you are indeed the same; you are more worried about the appearance than you are about how much enjoyment you might reap from it. So screw who owns or who doesn't own a mac, and buy one because OS X is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Microsoft has ever released.

Moses

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Sorry for not reading the rest of the post, couldn't wipe the tears of laughter from my face. PC=Personal Computer. Apple have always sold Personal Computers that happen to run OS X. The only difference now is that they also happen to run Windows.
Still waiting for a new Macbook I'm afraid. Not swayed by the argument at all. No amount of fancy hardware will get me near a Windows-based box again. :)

I think you know that PC is common, indeed standard, parlance for a Windows machine (i.e. PC AT, x86 architecture, Dos and Windows). Who calls Macs PCs? Steve Jobs doesn't.

Great post by the way, added a lot champ.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I own a first-gen MacBook Pro and will likely replace it late 2008/early 2009 with a new Nehalem-based model.

But having a look at some Dell and Toshiba models today gave me pause.

Consider what Toshiba gives you for $2499:

Satellite X205-SLi3
2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (SR-based)
2GB RAM
Dual SLi 8600m GT Graphics with 512MB dedicated VRAM
2 x 160GB HDDs
17inch 16 x 10 widescreen LCD
Combined HD-DVD and DVD-RW Drive
Bluetooth and N Wireless
In-built Webcam, microphone, fingerprint reader
HDMI out, good speakers, lots of ports

Dell, for $2999, offers:

XPS M1730
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (SR-based)
2GB RAM
Dual SLi 8700m GT Graphics with 512MB dedicated VRAM
AEGIA Physics Co-Processor
200GB 7200RPM HDD
And the rest.....

-

NO... have you seen what the machines look like, or the weight, of the casing material, or battery life, or company history (Dell) for having very poor technical support. Toshibas are wonderful machines, some Dells are too, but the fact remains that you get what you pay for, everything you pay for. Windows is included in that purchase as is the company's amount of support and R&D and lack thereof. Basically, I'd rather pay the $300 extra and loose out in graphics for a company with proven software. As long as Toshiba and Dell sell hardware that is forced to run on Windows or the flip floppy Linux Apple's Mac OS X and the hundreds of software companies that support them will win out.

Calm down my friend. I know, it's very easy to let emotions get in the way, but making blanket statements like that aren't going to get you feeling any better nor will people respect you any better. Not every Mac user is an elitist or is anything like Multimedia, who is actually a rather even keel guy. Some forum members (like myself) get annoyed when posters don't take certain things into consideration, try looking at some of the iMac screen issue threads for an example. It's okay to have a judgement or a guess like everyone else, but most posters will back their statements up with facts, (not saying that you didn't) and reasonable observations that are related to the market and industry. If for any reason a statement is made that doesn't carry any part of those then flack will be shot in the air, and the flames of a thousand shells will rain down upon you.

I don't think MM meant anything by it, but if you took offense, just let him know, and he should apologize or mark his thread as inappropriate and it will get taken care of. There is no need for rash statements that put all Macintosh users into one basket.

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Boston
Agreed, I have been a mac user since I was a wee lad and my Mom won the first mac back in 1984... since then I have been forced at different times throughout my life to work with one. My company for example was not sold on the Apple operating system for Multimedia until about 2 years ago.. so for a number of years I had to deal with Sony Viaos and crap computers not recognizing their very own pieces of hardware at random times. :mad:
Working and Living on a Mac is a dream, it is a seamless extension of my creative outlets and communications with friends, family, and coworkers. I could not see myself ever switching back to a Windows based machine.. Um Hmmm EVER.
So even if here we are worried about getting the newest, fastest .. etc... its okay cause its a mac and its upgradable. I mean look at the fact you can use a g4 or g3 today and still have an effective machine for what you need (withen reason) Imagine trying to do that with the same aged Windows machine... OKay not stop imagining :)
Anyways...
wow
rant over haha
~bv:apple:

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
I think you know that PC is common, indeed standard, parlance for a Windows machine (i.e. PC AT, x86 architecture, Dos and Windows). Who calls Macs PCs? Steve Jobs doesn't.

Great post by the way, added a lot champ.
I believe my definition of the term P.C was correct. Sorry that I don't share the exact same vocabulary as Steve Jobs. I also don't say "Boom" every time I open an application. Is that wrong?
Your argument was flawed from the start when you essentially said "rather than get a Mac that can run Windows as well as OS X, you could always go out and pay more for a machine that only runs Windows. You forget that the main reason people are looking into buying a Mac is for OS X and the benefits of not running Firewalls/Antivirus/Malware Detection Utilities. :rolleyes:

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Simplicity wins, so PC & Mac...

...instead of writing a paragraph describing that you mean a personal computer exclusively running a Microsoft Windows Operating System or one with the primary use of running an Apple operating system yet also capable of running among others a Microsoft operating system.

:)

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Simplicity wins, so PC & Mac...

...instead of writing a paragraph describing that you mean a personal computer exclusively running a Microsoft Windows Operating System or one with the primary use of running an Apple operating system yet also capable of running among others a Microsoft operating system.

Fair enough. I personally call them a 'Windows Box', but that's personal preference. I just grow tired of this idea that a Mac is now just a 'Windows Box' because it can run Windows through Bootcamp. Not entirely true...

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA

Was that a drill? ;)

Multimedia, Why the arrogance? I've been involved with Mac's for a long time. And I don't remember ever coming across a Mac user with your attitude. I'll be skipping your postings from now on, because your delivery cancels out any other relevance to your opinion.

This is my opinion.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Aaaaand ..... back to the jolities.
apple_tablet-thumbnail2.jpg

The rumoured Macbook Nano
Looks pretty cute. Probably fake though. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.