Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

un1ty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
So Gruber linked to this article by siberian.ws (who happens to work for Apple) on a hidden preference on how to disable the glassy dock. Interestingly enough soon thereafter the post was taken down.

Luckily, google cache got the post. Here is the terminal command:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

This works on the bottom dock. I have not tested it, as I don't have Leopard yet. Also, I don't know what effect if any it has on the side dock.

Here is the google cache link.

Btw, I like the new glassy dock. Just thought it might be helpful for people who might want the choice.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I think adoption of ClearDock will really hit the roof...people don't like Terminal...

un1ty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Personally, I'm not a big fan of ClearDock though. I actually thought the dock was harder to use without a background.

Has anybody tested it with Leopard yet? There were rumors about Input Managers not being allowed with Leopard.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I don't know if it was the Leopard Seed I was running but the DOCK seemed sluggish. I was running seed 9a559. In Tiger the dock seemed very smooth.

Anyone experience this? Curious if the final runs better, more optimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.