Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
I have upgraded my G4 Mini Mac (1GB Memory and a 120GB hard drive) getting it ready for Leopard. I don't own an Apple keyboard and I have not been able to generate a "option" keypress during boot so I can select a boot device.

I have an image out on an external drive that is my fall back position (but I can not select it). Is there a work around using a PC keyboard or do I have to purchase an Apple keyboard?

Neil

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
I have upgraded my G4 Mini Mac (1GB Memory and a 120GB hard drive) getting it ready for Leopard. I don't own an Apple keyboard and I have not been able to generate a "option" keypress during boot so I can select a boot device.

I have an image out on an external drive that is my fall back position (but I can not select it). Is there a work around using a PC keyboard or do I have to purchase an Apple keyboard?

No need to purchase an apple keyboard. On a generic USB keyboard the Alt key works as Option, and the Windows key works as Command.

The positions of those two keys are generally reversed from a mac keyboard, so some people swap the function of those keys in the OSX control panel.

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
Mini MAC vs MBP

So on my MBP, if I hold the option key depressed at power on, the system looks to see which devices are bootable and displays them.

On the Mini Mac (G4 if it makes a difference) using a USB generic keyboard I am not able to get the system to look for and display the boot choices!

My mission is to have the ability to recover my system by booting to an external drive.

Neil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.