Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Well I'm hoping that this hasn't been asked before because i'm as bored as you guys with the same old "will Time Machine work with NAS?" and "When will my Leopard Ship?" Questions... I did run a few searches but didn't see anything

It would be great if Leopard did allow you to create your own stationary.. I think the standard 30 templates will get boring very quicky and for people who us it for business mail, the ability to create an email that has company logos etc would be great.

So the question again.. Does Leopards Mail allow you to create custom stationary?

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I sure hope not, but I'm sure you can. It's just html mail.

The first person to send me an email using stationary gets put straight into my Junk filter.

That stupid fad wasn't worthwhile when MS did it years ago.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
I sure hope not, but I'm sure you can. It's just html mail.

The first person to send me an email using stationary gets put straight into my Junk filter.

That stupid fad wasn't worthwhile when MS did it years ago.

grumpy sod lol... computers are meant to be fun too!

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
God forbid emails should look nice and include images in any way other than a grid of icons.

Were you also outraged that iChat didn't look like IRC?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
My domain email account ( @nintendoplayers.com ) has a ridiculous 10 MB limit, so I actually get ticked when people send me image-heavy emails (why the heck do corporations feel so inclinded to send out press releases as Word Documents or PDF when they can just copy and paste the contents into the email and take up a fraction of the space?). Don't care about my GMail accounts though.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wonder if Leopard's stationary does a good job of providing alt plain text? Grumping aside, there're lots of devices that don't display HTML text... you're so 1337 for sending your request out in a fancy HTML mail, but if it needs a short answer that I could've given you from my Blackberry, you're going to have to wait.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
I wonder if Leopard's stationary does a good job of providing alt plain text? Grumping aside, there're lots of devices that don't display HTML text... you're so 1337 for sending your request out in a fancy HTML mail, but if it needs a short answer that I could've given you from my Blackberry, you're going to have to wait.

Luckily I dont need to send you an email :D

Just kidding.. I do see what your saying and yes.. hopefully it does have some kind of fallback alternate if your device cant handle rendering html mail.

PsiliPharm

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Creating Your Own Leopard Mail Stationary?

Well, it's not terribly difficult to do it, the stationary is located here:

/Library/Application Support/Apple/Mail/Stationary/...

Then the folder structure continues (apparently with 3rd party support in mind)...

.../Apple/Contents/Resources/...

Then the individual Categories are listed as Directories...

.../Announcements/...
.../Birthdays/...
.../Photos/...

... etc ...

There's a TableOfContents.plist that lists the folders.

Within each folder it repeats the .../Contents/Resources/...

Which contain .mailstationary files, "Right Click" & "Show Package Contents" reveals another set of .../Contents/Resources/...

which brings us to the html file, images, Description.plist, and English.lproj folder.

The "content.html" file contains the layout, whereas the Description.plist acts more like CSS, except it is in a XML plist format.

Essentially, you can create your own Mail Stationary very easily with a little HTML knowledge and using Apple's examples as templates!

The English.lproj folder contains a file DisplayName.strings which just contains the name of the Stationary. If you had more languages installed I'm sure there would be a folder for each language, or at least that would be my guess.

It is my hope that Apple will make it easier to create your own Mail Stationary from within Pages or iWeb.

I hope this helps...

- PsiliPharm

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I've been fiddling with creating my own stationary but it's not quite as intuitive as I would have liked. Is there a way to add a custom backdrop and text/photo boxes?

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
These are really neat. I'd love to add some of these tips to my own site if nobody minds.

ivnj

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I sent one, and while the person actually wanted to recieve it as a stationary, the spam filter apparently stripped off all HTML. And yes, as plain text they look just fine.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
This is great news... another quick question tho, is it possible to set mail to automatically use a stationary theme rather than having to select it every time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.