Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I R Noob

Just wondering for those who do have the disc, is there good review on all the features of Leopard? Because the website went over the major features but for subtle things that may be different from older versions.

Whoshnot

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Brussel-Halle-Vilvoordeuh!
I have been wondering about something related to this and what youve said might explain it... The original front-row was just a front-end that used to launch iTunes/iPhoto or whatever in the background and push the content into front row. This is why the music kept on playing..

The new frontrow, being based on the AppleTV code is standalone.. it might use shared elements but I doubt it actually launches the apps in the background..

Can anyone with leopard installed confirm this?
It's true; I just checked. The Leopard Frontrow no longer launches iTunes or iPhoto. In fact it is a lot faster now, because it always took a while for the old Frontrow to start up and load my entire iPhoto library. I think the new Frontrow is somehow similar to what the iLife Media browser is (or whatever it is called): if finds the content of the different programs but without launching the programs themselves.

I still prefer the old Frontrow though... It let me play songs from my iPod, which the new Frontrow refuses to do.

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Anyone with Leopard: Can you close windows directly from the dock (while they're minimized)?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I figured a way to do it, although it seems like an unnecessary workaround. Created a new folder in apps titled A. Changed the icon from the standard folder icon to the apps folder icon.

The 2nd picture is the grid view after clicking on that stack. As you can see the A folder is sitting just ahead of the address book.

If you don't want the folder to be called 'A' , a simple space as the folder name will keep it at the top of the list and appear to have no name at all.

Whoshnot

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Anyone with Leopard: Can you close windows directly from the dock (while they're minimized)?
No.
I tried it on a minimized window in safari: right-clicking only gives the option to open the window again.

There is a possibility though by pressing :apple: + Q in the active application but I don't think that is the option you are looking for ;)

Edit: There is a "close" option in the finder though... Strange why it is not in safari.

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
No.
I tried it on a minimized window in safari: right-clicking only gives the option to open the window again.

There is a possibility though by pressing :apple: + Q in the active application but I don't think that is the option you are looking for ;)

Edit: There is a "close" option in the finder though... Strange why it is not in safari.

That's too bad, but thanks for answering anyway. Yeah, just tried it with a Finder window in Tiger and there is a "close" option... same with iTunes (although with iTunes there's not much need, just choose quit on the icon in the dock :confused:).

Yeah CavemanUK, it seems pretty basic, but some applications don't have the option. =/

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
The icons in the dock loook brilliant. Its trully amazing...CANT WAIT FOR TOMORROW.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Yeah, that's true ... It's less "eye-candyish" now. Also in the old Frontrow the music used to keep playing, but this does not happen anymore in the Leopard version. In fact, even just going back a menu in Frontrow stops the music instantly.

I miss the old Frontrow :(

That sucks :(
Half the fun of using Front Row was experiencing the transition when loading and closing it. That also sucks about music not continuing to play. That was one thing I liked- I could run Front Row from a distance and get music playing with a nice visual aid on-screen, then when I walk over to my computer, I could exist Front Row to do something and still have music playing.
They didn't happen to throw Coverflow in there did they?

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
From David Pogue:

Telltale icons. A new option in Leopard lets every icon appear as a tiny preview of what’s in it. You don’t see just a generic blue Word icon with a little W in the corner; the icon is now a thumbnail of page 1 of the actual document.

Here’s a typical Apple grace note: You can tell just by looking at a PDF file’s icon whether it’s longer than one page. The icon for a one-page PDF has a curled upper-right corner. But on a multi-page PDF, only the first page’s corner curls down. And in the gap it reveals, you can see a tiny bit of the *actual* page 2 showing.

Can anyone get us a screenshot of the 2nd page PDF thing? Cause that's really, really friggin' cool.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
From David Pogue:

Can anyone get us a screenshot of the 2nd page PDF thing? Cause that's really, really friggin' cool.

Yes, that is true, but you really cant see anything unless the icons are HUGE. I set this one to 128x128 (full size) and you can see part of page 2. This was a users manual for a treadmill we have.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 2,485

Whoshnot

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Half the fun of using Front Row was experiencing the transition when loading and closing it. That also sucks about music not continuing to play. That was one thing I liked- I could run Front Row from a distance and get music playing with a nice visual aid on-screen, then when I walk over to my computer, I could exist Front Row to do something and still have music playing.
Coverflow? No, it is basically the :apple:tv layout now.
I hope that there is some way to restore the old Frontrow. In fact I have been able to install the original version of Frontrow on my old computer (an iMac G5 which unfortunately died a month ago) although it did not had an IR-port. I remember you had to add some frameworks to the system and then it worked. Though I don't know if you can just change these frameworks in Leopard as well. I'm afraid someone else has to figure that out...

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Yes, that is true, but you really cant see anything unless the icons are HUGE. I set this one to 128x128 (full size) and you can see part of page 2. This was a users manual for a treadmill we have.

Oh wow, that's awesome. Thanks!

I figured you'd have to have it as big as it can go, but it's still really cool. It's the little things.

sSNAKEs9

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Virginia

It's not cover flow per se but it's kind of close. When you hover over a song the album art shows up on the left side. When your just hovering over "shuffle songs" it shows all of the albums arts sliding along - almost like cover flow.

Does anyone know if they made the icon resolution bigger. When I go into the finder settings it still only allows me to set the icons to 128x128...no bigger.

papplegate

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
It's not cover flow per se but it's kind of close. When you hover over a song the album art shows up on the left side. When your just hovering over "shuffle songs" it shows all of the albums arts sliding along - almost like cover flow.

Does anyone know if they made the icon resolution bigger. When I go into the finder settings it still only allows me to set the icons to 128x128...no bigger.

According to macosxhints they are in there, but I don't have leopard yet, so don't know why you can't go larger than 128x128

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
Is there not a way to dictate which icon is displayed? That would seriously suck if not--I'm not to keen about having the Address Book front and center all the time. A generic Applications folder icon would have been nice.

yeah, I've got to say I agree. I guess you COULD put a folder as the first item in the folder (add a space or two to the name) with a custom apps folder icon...

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Mine looks completely different. The Apps folder is clearly indicated:

811.jpg

I'm always interested in identifying the different applications that people use, and I notice you have quite a few in your dock that I'm unfamiliar with... if you don't mind, could you list what some of those are? I took the screen shot you posted and put a line above the ones in question in this image

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
@RichP: Not certain what you are asking. Whether you view them in either Fan or Grid mode, the icons remain the same.

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
I'm always interested in identifying the different applications that people use, and I notice you have quite a few in your dock that I'm unfamiliar with... if you don't mind, could you list what some of those are? I took the screen shot you posted and put a line above the ones in question in this image

If I'm reading your lines correctly, they are (in order from left to right):

iPhoto, Capture Me, Explicit, TubeSock, GrabMac, VisualHub, Popcorn, MacHacha, SplitFuse and Photomatix Pro.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
I have a question regarding Spaces...

If you open a number of application windows, say, Safari, in one space, then switch to another space. If you then click on Safari in the dock, does it open a new window in that space, or does it take you back to the previous space where Safari is already running in?

Thanks

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
That's a fake btw.....looks like OS9 to me. Also look at the copyright dates.

Sure not Leopard or OS X.

Incorrect. Those screenshots are of the original Public Beta of OS X 10.0. I ran the beta for the six months prior to the release of 10.1. It was slower than hell compared to the full release, and they restored the traditional position of the Apple Menu. In the Public Beta there was no Apple Menu, just the icon. This was not well-received but the idea was basically to have the main menu Application specific which you can see now falls under the Application name next to the Apple menu which retains global functions.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I have a question regarding Spaces...

If you open a number of application windows, say, Safari, in one space, then switch to another space. If you then click on Safari in the dock, does it open a new window in that space, or does it take you back to the previous space where Safari is already running in?

Thanks

It takes you to the space Safari is already running in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.