Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
London
I am new to Macs and will be getting my first MBP in the coming weeks... so was just curious what the best PHP editor was for the Mac? Currently I am using HTML Kit on my PC...

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Personally, I use TextMate for PHP (and just about everything else - it's supplanted BBEdit as my preferred programmers text editor).

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I don't do a ton of PHP, but when I do I use BBEdit. It doesn't have code completion, but it does have clippings and the program is scriptable, which I find is one of its greatest features.

It really depends on how you code and what you want from your editor. If you have specific needs that you can state you might get more refined answers from people.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I really like Coda, very slick. But, its missing an inline debugger. (I am sure they will add it at some point)

Another option is Komodo. It has an inline debugger and is more mature. Little slower though. (Komodo also has a Linux and Windows version, so its nice that it will be the same regardless of the platform you are running)

I would recommend totally avoiding Zend Studio, its slow as crap and not worth it at all.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
textmate is the best for just about any coding language, especially HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript and all sorts of other web languages

Best is your opinion, text editors are personal beasts and what is best to one person is cruppy to another.

I tried it and the lack of basic features during the 1.0 and 1.1 days made me give up on it in a heart beat.

The OP needs to test them all out and decide for himself.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I'm so behind the times....

I use GNU nano with PHP syntax colouring turned on :)

... but I usually do my PHP'ing when secure-shelled into a unix webserver, so a text-mode console is all I get anyway :D

I'm jealous!

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I use SubEthaEdit, but after reading this thread I'll be giving a shot to the other apps listed.
If you work on a collaborative environment though, I think SubEtha would be hard to beat.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Best is your opinion, text editors are personal beasts and what is best to one person is cruppy to another.

I tried it and the lack of basic features during the 1.0 and 1.1 days made me give up on it in a heart beat.

The OP needs to test them all out and decide for himself.

You should try it again (and maybe dig a bit deeper into it's capabilities). It's by far the most powerful GUI text editor on the mac.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
If only Xcode could write web languages like PHP. That would be sweet.

You know, as I've learned more, I've cared less and less about syntax highlighting? I just want my text editor to open quickly and stay out of my way.

Fisheke

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Antwerp, Belgium
... but I usually do my PHP'ing when secure-shelled into a unix webserver, so a text-mode console is all I get anyway :D
I do all my editing remote as well, but that's what SFTP is for.. just connect with Cyberduck and open the files through that, it'll upload directly everytime you save :).

metric152

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2004
zend studio

I've been using zend studio for quite some time now. It's a great IDE with lots of code completion for objects and methods. I haven't touched the debugging in it, but from what I've read it's very robust.

It costs a bit of money, but you get what you pay for with it. I've tried using coda and komodo and they just don't stack up. Komodo would be the closest native program to Zend Studio. It's written in java and is kinda slow but it doesn't impact your workflow. There is a demo available for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.