Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkroom

Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
hi there. i'm curious if anyone has any strong speculation when the iMac will be updated next. i know there's the Buyer's Guide, but i also know that in the past the iMac updated quickly (IE October 2005, then only 3 months later in January 2006)... taking into consideration that it took nearly a year for the current iMac to be released, and any information about upcoming intel processors, can anyone speculate on a more likely date which the iMac will see it's next update (other than the traditional 6 months)?

Mundy

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
The three month update cycle you mentioned was entirely due to the Intel transition. I don't think it's likely you'll be seeing Apple allow only three months between iMac updates ever again.

Penryn arrives in January, and when it does, my guess is that the MacBook Pro will be the first recipient, with the iMac getting updated soon afterward (perhaps February or March).

If it makes you feel any better, I just ordered a new 24" iMac today. Something newer may arrive in a couple of months, but that won't make today's iMac any less capable.

kheller2

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2004
iMac lifetime

August 31, 2004 G5
May 3, 2005 G5 G5 ALS
October 12, 2005 G5 iSight
January 10, 2006 CD
July 5, 2006 CD IG
September 6, 2006 C2D
August 7, 2007 C2D AL

Darkroom

Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
If it makes you feel any better, I just ordered a new 24" iMac today. Something newer may arrive in a couple of months, but that won't make today's iMac any less capable.

you know... you're totally right... i think i'm gonna order this week... thanks for opening my eyes...

facere

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Vienna / Austria
i have asked at DSP- memory about RAM memory for my new imac 24" which i would by when leopard arrives (prices from apple directly blow my pocket)

the guy there said that there could be an update concerning the ram clock speed, he said that there is an announcement from apple which is guessed to clear the warehouses from old models. if you think of the students campaign where you get an ipod with your new mac it makes sense to me.

has anyone informations about the past development in ram clock speeds? i think there wasnt an update since the first intel imac. and i think that apple will update his mac before christmas

Kuska

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Deep in The Weald, England
i have asked at DSP- memory about RAM memory for my new imac 24" which i would by when leopard arrives (prices from apple directly blow my pocket)

the guy there said that there could be an update concerning the ram clock speed, he said that there is an announcement from apple which is guessed to clear the warehouses from old models. if you think of the students campaign where you get an ipod with your new mac it makes sense to me.

has anyone informations about the past development in ram clock speeds? i think there wasnt an update since the first intel imac. and i think that apple will update his mac before christmas

BUMP

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
For the current software on the market for most iMac users the processor speed of the current iMac is fast enough.
Maybe Apple could increase the Ram that comes with a basic iMac to 2gb. They could also increase the HD capacity.
Maybe they could put in 512 mb graphics card and really go for the gaming. I must admit though being a casual gamer myself, even though the current ati card has received a lot of bashing, it certainly runs my games on XP using Boot camp, a damn sight better than my old PC´s card did.
A blue ray player would be cool, but it´s still very new, expensive technology for most users.
Like many I believe the Mac pro is next in line for a considerable update, anything done to the iMac I think will only be minor for some months to come.
Personally I feel that the current iMac alum machine I bought earlier this month is going to last me, touch wood, for some years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.