Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I just upgraded to leopard so I decided to move my music to an external drive. I moved just the Itunes music folder over to the external and pointed itunes preferences to the folder. Now none of my music can be found. I even tried to move it back to the main drive and point itunes back to the default location and that wont work either. I tried to consolidate the library too. What am I doing wrong?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I have found that the best way to move the library is to reindex it. Create a new folder in the new location and point itunes to it. Delete all the music from itunes. (not the files of course, just the info in iTunes) than re-import everything. YOu lose your play counts and stuff, but is that really that big of a deal?

ztark

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
yes it will mess up the artwork. I was actually just about to post a similar thread. I too am trying to run my itunes library from an external drive. I created an itunes folder on the drive and then directed itunes to that folder. I then consolidated my library, at which time iTunes advised met that "this will copy all of your music into your iTunes library, this process cannot be undone." Well, it copied some of my music, but the rest has !'s next to it. From a quick google search, this seems to be a very common problem. I followed the instructions on apple's site (as many other's have) and it simply doesn't seem to work. Very disappointing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

note, I still have the original library saved on my internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.