Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Perhaps its goes without saying, but Apple has updated their product pages (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini) indicating that Mac OS X Leopard is now shipping with new Macs. All desktop images on Apple.com now use the new Leopard desktop background. Curiously, the Mac Pro is the only product page that does not explicitly say that it is now shipping with Leopard, though we assume it does.

Meanwhile, customers who buy Macs directly from retail Apple Stores may receive a "Drop In" Leopard DVD with purchases of Macs until the old inventory turns-over. These Drop In DVDs will reportedly only upgrade an existing Mac OS X 10.4 install. You also don't get the pretty packaging of the Retail box.

leopard_dropin_400.jpg

This shouldn't necessarily be the signal to buy a new Mac, however, as both the Mac Pro and the MacBook have been rumored to see updates as soon as November.

Intel has started ramping up production of the new Penryn processor at their first 45-nm fab. The Penryn processor will launch on November 12th and is expected to be used in the next revision of the Mac Pro, expected shortly.

Article Link

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Thats good - cause I have heard of people getting a new computer shipped, and now they have to wait for Leopard to ship as well - how lame would that be?

tcoleman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Great White North
It's only a matter of time, but ...

From the product page:

Included Software: "Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger"

Edit: I see the message nearer to the top of the page now.

portuglish08

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Macbook Updates

:apple:Let's hope we DO see those rumored macbook updates soon! And also, let's hope it's not just a minor bump!:apple:

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Has anyone ever seen a Mac OS disk that only upgrades a prior version? Just seems unlikely since it would add a hassle factor. How would you do a clean install on a fresh disk if necessary without going through Tiger first?

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I know they just refreshed the iMac line, but I'm waiting until the next improvement.

I've read too many reports of problems and poor build quality.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Curiously, the Mac Pro is the only product page that does not explicitly say that it is now shipping with Leopard, though we assume it does.

I spoke to a customer service rep and she assured me that all mac pro's after the 26th would ship with leopard...though she wouldn't comment on the refresh launch date :)

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Has anyone ever seen a Mac OS disk that only upgrades a prior version? Just seems unlikely since it would add a hassle factor. How would you do a clean install on a fresh disk if necessary without going through Tiger first?

If it is possible it would be by restarting your computer, holding down 'c' to boot from the dvd, and then the Leopard install menu should come up where the option to erase and install is....

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
That would suck. I also hope they don't update their Macbook Pro's now, since I just bought one.

I've just ordered a MBP last week. I'm happy to hear they are shipping with Leopard. I too would be quite miffed if they update the MBP before January. I need a new computer before the end of the year but couldnt wait until MacWorld. In fact, I've been waiting quite a long time and CANNOT WAIT :) :) :) for the baby to arrive. Yesterday I bought a 250Gb external drive in preparation for Time Machine. It says ship date is Nov 6 - 11th. My final exam at university is November 6th. I'd be STOKED if it arrived that day :D
What a way to celebrate a great year!!!!

PS: To Blow my own Trumpet

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007

I ordered one of the original Mac Minis from MacMall shortly after Tiger came out. In addition to the 10.3 disks that came with the Mini, an upgrade DVD for 10.4 was also included. You could still choose any of the install formats, even erase and install, but a valid install 10.3 was required on the disk to erase and install. Not a big deal when you first get the disk, but it was a little annoying if I reformatted as I would need to install 10.3 first and then use the 10.4 disk to erase and install.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
If it is possible it would be by restarting your computer, holding down 'c' to boot from the dvd, and then the Leopard install menu should come up where the option to erase and install is....

Also to add to that Tiger MUST be the current OS installed. If you have Panther those upgrade discs will not install.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I think that the default wallpaper in Leopard makes the Macs look cheap and nasty. The old Tiger blue wallpaper was far more sophisticated.

hasah

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2007
Waiting for macbook update

I was hoping that apple would update the macbooks with the launch of leopard. That way i would have been able to buy a new, updated macbook with leopard installed and get a free ipod nano, as part of the uk student offer. But the student offer is finishing on the 30th october :( so looks like im gonna miss out on the free ipod nano cos i aint gonna buy a macbook which is so close to the end of it's cycle. SO THIS NEXT MACBOOK UPDATE BETTER BE WORTH THE WAIT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.