Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
do the backlit keys work?

And no SwitchResX?

What about Windows XP via Bootcamp? Are you running anything on that side?

The attaced zip contains the ATIinject.kext from around page 22 of this thread It also contains an override file based on the same, but altered to work with LTN154U2-L04. It enabled me to have all the screen resolutions (800x600,960x600 1024x768stretched 1600x1000, etc) but still no brightness control.

Here are the steps I took

1. Copt ATIinject.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

2. type sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext in the terminal

3. Replace DisplayProductID-5534 in /System/Library/Display/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4ca3
with one in zip

4. Reboot if all is well just never use 1920x1200 @ 60

5. If all is not well (displays but extremely dim) hook an external monitor and adjust settings. It only started to display right once I removed the external monitor. Then I could plug and unplug and switch all around a million combinations mirrored/unmirrored/different resolutions on both the LCD and ext monitor. But even with the right settings initially it had to get connected one time to the ext monitor and then unplugged before it would show on the LCD.

Hope this helps anyone.

If only there was a way to change the EDID in the DisplayProductID-5534 file I am guessing brightness might work. But I do not know how?

harpersincleelu

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Backlight Kext

Can Anyone Post the AppleBacklight.kext from before 10.4.10 so I can see if this is my problem with backlight?

Thanks

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Nope no switchresx

and Bootcamp works if you use powerstrip

Weird thing is, prior to the latest firmware update, I didn't need Powerstrip at all and it worked perfectly. Now, with PS, I can't get nearly as good of a setting.

Never a problem starting dark yet?

harpersincleelu

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Weird thing is, prior to the latest firmware update, I didn't need Powerstrip at all and it worked perfectly. Now, with PS, I can't get nearly as good of a setting.

Never a problem starting dark yet?

Yes it starts dark sometimes in os x and I have the hardest time turning brightness up im display prefs. The ball moves but brightness does not change so I hok up to exernal change modes and turn brightness up and eventually some combo works. I wish someone could post old applebacklight.kext so I could try it.

harpersincleelu

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
No More Darkness

I was reading and reading through old posts and found an old post by brynus I added some info and am now releasing a new override file for the LTN154U2-L04

Updates
* No brightness control still
* Perfect visibility (bright!) and it lets me change screen resolution scale
640x480
640x480 stretched
800x500
800x600
800x600 stretched
960x600
1024x640
1024x768
1024x768 stretched
1280x800
1280x960
1280x960 stretched
1344x840
1344x1008
1600x1000
1600x1200
1920x1200

*no more fruity stuff when hooking/unhooking ext monitors
*No more need to use AtiInject.kext!
*I haven't used SwitchResX since either!

Many thanks for the previous posts

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-5534.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 201

Don.Key

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Allright folks. I tried the same with my 17" MBP.

Machine is a 2.33Ghz box, I have read on the net that the newer MBPs use LP171WU1 -TLA1 pannels when purchased with HD option. So I got myself exactly that, a LP171WU1 panel, it is not clear yet which subtype.

After I installed it and powered on the machine first time nothing came on the screen.

I attached external display, booted into OSX and shutdown again.

After that screen begun to display apple logo during poweron but wierdly enough, the logo and the rotating sign under it look like broken gif files, colors are quite off.

So, now my questions:

1) Which part of MBP is responcible for the apple logo display during boot? Is that EFI?

2) How can I force this part to display the correct colors?

3) Since the display is basically same as "original" apple HD display, should not OSX automatically detect it, or at least should not I be able to take existing apple definition and code my display ID in there, leaving all other fields intact? If yes, where do I find definitions for HD internal displays?

Cheers

Don.Key

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
If anyone of you where hoping for Leopard to recognize the HD screens by default, the answer is NO.

I went and got myself a leopard copy last night, well, it was not possible to install it, even with external display attached because as it seems the installed focuses all windows on internal screen, which is black. fn keys to mirror do not work, external display only shows leopard background.

I could only install by disconnecting internal display entirely, but after installation I am in same situation as with tiger. Prom resets where performed on different stages as well, without success.

Windows XP boots up in my case with bootcamp by the way.... So this seems to be a issue with OSX only, intentional (Might be part of hardware dongling) or unintentional I do not really know.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Well the way I got around this same problem when installing Tiger, I just inserted the disc with an external attached, rebooted from the disc, and when I was more or less certain the machine was fully booted and waiting for input from me to continue with the installation, I closed the lid to put it to sleep. I also had an external mouse/kybrd attached. Then I woke up the machine with the keyboard then the external will show the main desktop. If you were seeing the extended desktop on the external, I'm sure this same method would have worked.

If anyone of you where hoping for Leopard to recognize the HD screens by default, the answer is NO.

I went and got myself a leopard copy last night, well, it was not possible to install it, even with external display attached because as it seems the installed focuses all windows on internal screen, which is black. fn keys to mirror do not work, external display only shows leopard background.

I could only install by disconnecting internal display entirely, but after installation I am in same situation as with tiger. Prom resets where performed on different stages as well, without success.

Windows XP boots up in my case with bootcamp by the way.... So this seems to be a issue with OSX only, intentional (Might be part of hardware dongling) or unintentional I do not really know.

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
I've had this same issue. It basically means the timings you're using in your display profile are not correct, producing artifacts for your display. You could try SwitchRes to find a more compatible sync timing, but it's not easy.

I think it's odd that you bought the same panel in the newest 17" HD MBPs and it doesn't work natively.

Allright folks. I tried the same with my 17" MBP.

After that screen begun to display apple logo during poweron but wierdly enough, the logo and the rotating sign under it look like broken gif files, colors are quite off.

Don.Key

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
After playing around for almost whole Saturday, I have achieved partial success!!

My Setup: 2.33Ghz C2D 17" MBP, LG Philips LP171WU1-A4K4 Glossy WUXGA display, which is not the same as apple using, apple uses TLA1 and TLB1 (One of which is glossy and other is matte).

Firstly, SwitchResX is VERY unstable under Leopard, it keeps crashing on me without apparent reason, or displays itself without upper row of icons or does not allow me "redirect" resolutions simply by not bringing up a appropriate menu and so on, if you use SwitchResX, be careful when you upgrade to Leopard. But even in this situation, I was able to achieve some success and find very interesting fact:

If you reset PRAM and boot into OSX with external screen attached, the values put into PRAM are partially(?) dependent on the external screen you had attached at the moment of reboot, some of those values seem to affect COLOR reproduction!

In my case, when I used analog TFT external panel, I always got bad colors on internal screen, but once I connected a Dell 2001FP screen via DVI, reset pram and booted, color problems on internal suddenly went away! Loader shows perfect grey logo, windows colors are ok and OSX as well. I discovered this by accident. Maybe the fact that the 2001FP and my internal panel have exactly same refresh rate (60Hz) helps?

So, color problem by side I tried to actually enable higher resolution but SwitchResX drove me crazy. Between crashes and reboots I had my screen working once! In full glory, including back light controls! I disconnected external screen and my internal went black again, I was not able to re-enable it anymore :p.

I give up for now, until SwitchResX is stable under Leopard, now it is waste of time. But I am 100% sure that I will get this display to work.

I will keep you updated

Cheers

UPDATE:
I could not give it up and finally got it working. Some steps are probably bogus but i just document what I did...:

1) Prom Reset
2) Disconnect LVDS cable (I could not put my box to sleep and since it was open anyways I took easier path)
3) Connect Dell 2001FP monitor
4) Install Leopard
5) Get newest SwitchResX, install it, do not do anything in it yet
6) Shutdown
7) Reconnect LVDS Cable
8) Boot (internal screen still shows nothing)
9) Reboot (internal screen shows correct grey apple logo now but blacks out when OS takes over)
10) Open SwitchResX, select internal monitor, go to options and make sure that "show all resolutions" and "show refresh rate in name" are checked
11) Add custom resolution in SwitchResX with correct settings for my internal monitor, as in DCC profile.
12) Reboot
13) Try to activate the mode.. via SwitchResX hotkey no Success.
14) OSX display properties show pulldown for frequency selection on my internal screen now, this was NOT the case before and this is a good sign.
15) Fight to open SwitchResX again, it keeps on crashing but eventially comes up
16) Add CVT-RB, CVT, and GTF custom modes, make sure all of them have 60Hz specified
17) Reboot
18) For whatever reason I got a 59.9Hz refresh rate available in pulldown menu of OSX display properties now, it does not work, I select 60Hz, BINGO... Internal screen powers on.
19) Shutdown, disconnect external screen
20) Startup, internal screen works all the way from gray logo to desktop, brightness controlls are fine, I can also sleep and wake up without issue.

Problems:

1) I now see four "1920x1200, 60hz" entries when I click right mouse button on desktop, I see which one is active but since they all have identical names I do not know which presets are behind this name.
2) SwitchResX really needs an update for Leopard
3) I did not dare to deinstall SwitchResX, I do not know if the resolution is encoded in override or somehow comes via SwitchResX, I will do this once stable version comes out.

I've had this same issue. It basically means the timings you're using in your display profile are not correct, producing artifacts for your display. You could try SwitchRes to find a more compatible sync timing, but it's not easy.

I think it's odd that you bought the same panel in the newest 17" HD MBPs and it doesn't work natively.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
Still no joy - machine will NOT start with LVDS cable plugged into new display AT ALL

Earlier I reported how I could not get my MacBook Pro to start at all (not even to get as far as being able to perform a PRAM reset) after installing a Toshiba WUXGA screen. I suspected that the screen was maybe faulty, and a couple of people on the forum disagreed. Well, it turns out they were right - I now have a Samsung Revision 4 screen (the same as what a lot of people are trying right now) and I get the exact same thing going on. To be exact:

(1) Install WUXGA screen, attach external (also WUXGA) monitor.

(2) Press POWER button. Get bong, then nothing. Internal screen AND external screen blank, no response to keyboard, so even a PRAM reset is impossible (nothing happens when I press option-command-p-r, no matter how quickly after power-up). No way of starting Windows, either. Simply a blank on BOTH monitors and no response from keyboard. Fan comes on and goes high after a short while. Machine turns off immediately when I press power button again (with no pause - I don't have to hold it, just press it quickly is enough).

(3) Unplug LVDS cable - either on m/b end or on LCD end.

(3) Machine starts up fine on external display only. Can do all the normal things, including PRAM reset if I want, etc.

(4) Try shutting down and reattaching LVDS cable, then on powering up get situation from (1) again.

I've tried updating the firmware from v. .B03 to .B07. it doesn't make any difference. The machine will simply not boot with either Toshiba or Samsung WUXGA display plugged in AT ALL, but is still working perfectly with the original screen.

The problem is obviously occurring at a very low level of startup (perhaps even prior to the EFI loading). I simply don't know what to do at this stage. Any suggestions?

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Yup, if you find one of my old posts I mention this same issue. If I do a PRAM reset, I can't boot at all without an external display first. After that first boot with the external, it will boot on its own again. I haven't done a PRAM reset since I discovered this issue, and thankfully, I never need to do PRAM resets anyway.

The difference with mine is that mine WILL boot with an external plugged in, immediately after a PRAM reset. If I don't have one plugged in, I get the blank screen and fans at full blast like you do.

Try connecting an external, power on, then do a PRAM reset and see if it boots.

Earlier I reported how I could not get my MacBook Pro to start at all (not even to get as far as being able to perform a PRAM reset) after installing a Toshiba WUXGA screen. I suspected that the screen was maybe faulty, and a couple of people on the forum disagreed. Well, it turns out they were right - I now have a Samsung Revision 4 screen (the same as what a lot of people are trying right now) and I get the exact same thing going on. To be exact:

(1) Install WUXGA screen, attach external (also WUXGA) monitor.

(2) Press POWER button. Get bong, then nothing. Internal screen AND external screen blank, no response to keyboard, so even a PRAM reset is impossible (nothing happens when I press option-command-p-r, no matter how quickly after power-up). No way of starting Windows, either. Simply a blank on BOTH monitors and no response from keyboard. Fan comes on and goes high after a short while. Machine turns off immediately when I press power button again (with no pause - I don't have to hold it, just press it quickly is enough).

(3) Unplug LVDS cable - either on m/b end or on LCD end.

(3) Machine starts up fine on external display only. Can do all the normal things, including PRAM reset if I want, etc.

(4) Try shutting down and reattaching LVDS cable, then on powering up get situation from (1) again.

I've tried updating the firmware from v. .B03 to .B07. it doesn't make any difference. The machine will simply not boot with either Toshiba or Samsung WUXGA display plugged in AT ALL, but is still working perfectly with the original screen.

The problem is obviously occurring at a very low level of startup (perhaps even prior to the EFI loading). I simply don't know what to do at this stage. Any suggestions?

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
Yup, if you find one of my old posts I mention this same issue. If I do a PRAM reset, I can't boot at all without an external display first. After that first boot with the external, it will boot on its own again. I haven't done a PRAM reset since I discovered this issue, and thankfully, I never need to do PRAM resets anyway.

The difference with mine is that mine WILL boot with an external plugged in, immediately after a PRAM reset. If I don't have one plugged in, I get the blank screen and fans at full blast like you do.

Try connecting an external, power on, then do a PRAM reset and see if it boots.

Ooops, I think you misread my post! (Don't worry, when I posted about this before, everyone misunderstood then, too. :rolleyes:)

My problem is that I can't get any sort of boot at all unless I UNPLUG the LVDS cable to the internal screen. That's what I said! I CANNOT BOOT AT ALL unless the LVDS cable to the internal screen is unplugged. Doesn't matter whether an external is plugged in or not - well of course, in order to boot at all, I have to have an external plugged in. You offered that as a solution, but it isn't a solution, because as soon I plug the internal back in, whether or not I have the external still plugged in, and no matter how many PRAM resets later, I am back to a non-booting and permanently dark MacBook Pro again. IT WILL ONLY BOOT WHEN THE INTERNAL DISPLAY IS UNPLUGGED (or I go back to my original display). Sorry to be shouting, I just don't want to be misunderstood!

I have tried all sorts of things to get the thing to get past the first bong when the internal LCD is plugged in, to no avail. Just to be absolutely clear, plugging in the external DOES NOT help, only UNPLUGGING the internal does any good! (with an external attached, of course)

But obviously that is not a permanent solution! :D

It works fine when I go back to the original 1440x900 display. And I get the non-working-MacBook-unless-screen-unplugged with BOTH a Toshiba and a Samsung (R04) display, as I said. So something else is up, and I don't know what it is, or what to do about it.

I'm afraid I'm getting tired of this, and will probably sell the MacBook and the WUXGA screen I got for it on eBay pretty soon unless someone can help :confused:

PS. It's got nothing to do with a PRAM reset. I had this problem from the very beginning, before I even tried a PRAM reset or really even knew what it was.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Firstly, SwitchResX is VERY unstable under Leopard, it keeps crashing on me without apparent reason, or displays itself without upper row of icons or does not allow me "redirect" resolutions simply by not bringing up a appropriate menu and so on, if you use SwitchResX, be careful when you upgrade to Leopard. But even in this situation, I was able to achieve some success and find very interesting fact:

I believe SwitchResX is dependent on APE from Unsanity which is known to have problems with Leopard. They're working on a new version, so when that's finished it should be much more stable.

harpersincleelu

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Leopard Just Works

I am loving leopard. I inserted the CD and it rebooted and started installing. I had no external monitor, etc. I choose a complete erase (already had everything backed up to firewire drive) and it installed flawlessly. Now everything just works, no switchres, etc. Also There is no more DisplayVendorID-4ca3 directory or DisplayProductID-5534 file but everything works perfect. All resolutions, brightness/dimming. No modifications!

Again LTN154U2-L04 was the model I chose!

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
GTFO!

So you just did a clean install from scratch and the panel just works perfectly out of the box?

INSANE!

I am going to try this right now. Wish me luck!

I am loving leopard. I inserted the CD and it rebooted and started installing. I had no external monitor, etc. I choose a complete erase (already had everything backed up to firewire drive) and it installed flawlessly. Now everything just works, no switchres, etc. Also There is no more DisplayVendorID-4ca3 directory or DisplayProductID-5534 file but everything works perfect. All resolutions, brightness/dimming. No modifications!

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Yup. CONFIRMED!!!!:D:D:D:D

I've just completed a clean install of Leopard with the Samsung -04 rev panel from Ztronics/eBay and everything works!

No switchres or ati Inject or anything! Good work harpers! I've had this leopard disk sitting my desk since last Friday, too scared to try it!:eek:

Once I get my machine back into shape, I'll go for bootcamp and see if it boots ok in windows xp.

more later...

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
No go with Bootcamp

Apparently there is a bug with Bootcamp and some XP discs resulting in an error during installation. There are some workarounds, but I'm going to wait for an update from Apple to try installing windows again.

I got my laptop mostly back to normal last night. First impressions of Leopard is that it's a little weak, IMO. Too much eye candy, not enough substance.

I really don’t like the new finder windows. Everything looks like an application to me, and I keep thinking that I’m clicking in iTunes. I also don’t like the super small sidebar icons. I wish they would scale like in Tiger. It makes it harder for me to drag into, especially since on our screens everything is insanely small already. Coverflow is stupid for navigating files. So is the icon preview option, which only seems useful if you view things at huge size.

The translucent menu bar is also weak. I found some hacks to turn it gray, etc. but they are weak workarounds. It may look kind of cool, ut it's just plain harder to read.

Dock is kind of cool looking, but the stacks thing is stupid. I hate that my downloads folder looks like a piece of paper now and changes depending on what the view order is set to. I’d rather it just look like a folder, like in Tiger.

I _really_ hate the new folder icons. It's like a GUI mod from shapeshifter. I wish there were options to change the folder "theme" or something.

My biggest gripe is how everytime I want to open a file I downloaded online, I get a new dialog box that says "Are you really sure you want to open this?".

It's very Windows like in that way.

Whatever. At least the screen works perfectly.

And haprers was right. There's no display profile. In fact, the OS doesn't seem to know what screen it is using in ASP. Color Profile thinks it's an Apple native display panel:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009D03

<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>40195</integer>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>DisplayVendorID</key>
<integer>1552</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area

Yep also confirmed with the L03 model works fine with leopard without any hacks

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Hissing noises

One thing I noticed though, is that I'm hearing those hissing noises again from the display. I'm sure it's related to timing somehow. it's faint, but definitely not silent like it's supposed to be. Anyone else hearing this hissing noise? it goes away if you adjust the angle of the display slightly. It's pretty faint, so it's somewhat unnoticeable unless you're listening for it. Seems to come in and out on my machine.

jeeb75

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Ltn154u2-l03

Yep also confirmed with the L03 model works fine with leopard without any hacks

Unfortunately for the L03, it did not work for me. I got the light gray screen with the dark gray apple in the middle. Then the screen goes black when the install screen to choose language is supposed to come up. I tried to install Switch ResX with Leopard and Leopard would not start up. I had to switch back to the original screen.

I just wanted to add I have the earler pre Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo macbook pro, maybe that is the difference.

Actually my screen model is LT154UI - L03 - Maybe that is the issue.

hellojtm

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
read 20 or so pages... search feature isn't that hot (can't search thread)

Hi guys,

I can't seem to find in this thread whether anyone has gotten this working on a powerbook, rather than a macbook. My display just fried and I need to upgrade it because 1280x854 is kinda weak. :)

Best,
Jesse

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Hi guys,

I can't seem to find in this thread whether anyone has gotten this working on a powerbook, rather than a macbook. My display just fried and I need to upgrade it because 1280x854 is kinda weak. :)

Best,
Jesse

Uhmm... the FIRST post is about baxter's success in doing it to a Powerbook.
I must congratulate you on your detective work :]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.