Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I installed boot camp and then put xp on a 10gb partition. I was having major problems with OSX so I reinstalled. now When I try to upgrade to the new version of bootcamp I get an error message downloading. I think it said not verified. I wanted to know how to delete the windows space so I can just have the apple OS. I went to disk utility but It would not let me delete the windows partition. The reason I wanted the new version of bootcamp because I was having track pad problems in xp.

danielamundson

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Windows Partition

I installed boot camp and then put xp on a 10gb partition. I was having major problems with OSX so I reinstalled. now When I try to upgrade to the new version of bootcamp I get an error message downloading. I think it said not verified. I wanted to know how to delete the windows space so I can just have the apple OS. I went to disk utility but It would not let me delete the windows partition. The reason I wanted the new version of bootcamp because I was having track pad problems in xp.

I know this is an old question, but I am having the same problem now and can't find an answer. Did you happen to ever figure out how to delete your windows partition on your harddrive?

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I know this is an old question, but I am having the same problem now and can't find an answer. Did you happen to ever figure out how to delete your windows partition on your harddrive?

just go back to OSX, go to utilities, and go to Boot Camp...it'll erase the windows partition for you
took a few seconds to do actually =)

paokan

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
hello. it is impossible to delete partition now right?

I can't find the boot camp anymore and I heard that it can only be purchased?

andersea

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Problem!

I recently installed a professional Windows XP and realized it causes problems, so I went back to bootcamp and restored the partition to OS X only.

However, whenever I restart, my macbook pro still tries to start into Windows, where it then says something like, No start up disk, press any key to continue, all on top of a scary black screen.

I have NO idea how to get this to stop. I know that I can just hold down option and go into OS X, but I would really like to avoid that. Help please!

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I recently installed a professional Windows XP and realized it causes problems, so I went back to bootcamp and restored the partition to OS X only.

However, whenever I restart, my macbook pro still tries to start into Windows, where it then says something like, No start up disk, press any key to continue, all on top of a scary black screen.

I have NO idea how to get this to stop. I know that I can just hold down option and go into OS X, but I would really like to avoid that. Help please!
Go to system preferences > StartUp Disk > Select your OS X disk.

TerryL.

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Delete&REinstall Windows Partition

When I first got my Mac we installed everything and the windows partition. I now want to delete my windows partition and install it again, because it's working improperly. Windows is what i use for school. I'm very crafty for my own part but this is out of my standards. I need step to step direction on how to delete it from my hard-drive. Please help.:apple:

gronk001

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
4hrs later

When I first got my Mac we installed everything and the windows partition. I now want to delete my windows partition and install it again, because it's working improperly. Windows is what i use for school. I'm very crafty for my own part but this is out of my standards. I need step to step direction on how to delete it from my hard-drive. Please help.:apple:

Fail Proof method Mac Forgot to tell us!
Go to Disk Utility - click partition at top of list on right hand side > select Partition TAB > Find xp partition at very bottom of big rectangle box (scroll down as it is not yet visible, only mac is.) select and press the minus button underneath. and the rest is obvious with the prompts. Mac made adding and deleting partitions damn simple but are lousy telling newbies and people who cant type how to do it.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
yeah, that's a very useful way of doing it, thanks, before this I would just go to Bootcamp and delete it from there, but this is better also for adding partitions.
Can you format a new partition from here?

applebeginner

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
i looked at the disk utility thing but i did not see the plus/minus buttons to delete the partition. it says that it contains a startup volume, which is my windows disk, and that it cannot be partitioned because of this. any suggestions? im running out of room on the apple and need the space from the now unused windows half

Bosslewis

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
I'm having a rather serious problem with my Mas Book Pro. I have a partitioned hard drive with windows xp. There is a disk error on my windows side and due to this disk error, I cannot get my laptop to start up on either side. I've tried opening it up in single user mode, and I've tried deleting the partition by using the Mac OS X disk at start up and nothing seems to be working. I need a way to delete my windows partition, with out really turning on the laptop. Any one have any ideas?

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm having a rather serious problem with my Mas Book Pro. I have a partitioned hard drive with windows xp. There is a disk error on my windows side and due to this disk error, I cannot get my laptop to start up on either side. I've tried opening it up in single user mode, and I've tried deleting the partition by using the Mac OS X disk at start up and nothing seems to be working. I need a way to delete my windows partition, with out really turning on the laptop. Any one have any ideas?

Try booting from OSX disk and run disk utilities disk repair...see what happens.

ireallyluvmymac

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
go to the disk utility tool and click on the partition. then on the right there should be some tabs that say first aid, erase, RAID, restore. click on erase then click on erase free space ad it should give you some options on how you want to do it. i dont know if it gets rid of it totally (cuz i'm just now trying it) but it should help

Advalorem

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Resizing the partition

Thanks for the guide to delete the windows partition. I have done that successfully but I need to resize my Mac HD to fill the entire space. When I resize and apply the changes, it comes back with the error:

Partition failed with the error:

Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed

Who has a clue on how to resolve this.

G1ng3r

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Removing windows from my mac.

Hi all,

Will removing windows 7 from my macbook affect the mac os at all?? I bought my mac off someone so i never got an installation cd for it or anything and it's kinda all i have. I also found the windows 7 on it and it's acting up so i need to remove it...

The1Lorax

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Remove Bootcamp - Quick No DVD or Boot Camp Assistant Needed

I was able to quickly remove it with disk utility. No need for boot discs or even Boot Camp Assistant.

If the mac osx partition and the windows partition are on the same disk:

1 Open disk utility.
2 Click on the actual hard disk, not the partition that it is in.
3 Click on the partition tab.
4 Select the bootcamp partition.
5 Click on the "-" button below.
****This will remove the partition entirely. Back up the files if you still want them*****
6 Once done, drag and resize the mac osx partition.
7 Click apply.

If this doesn't work, first erase the bootcamp partition, then restart and go back into disk utility where you should see the erased bootcamp partition. Start over with these instructions. I've used this on a couple computers so far.

GREENH3ART

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
i looked at the disk utility thing but i did not see the plus/minus buttons to delete the partition. it says that it contains a startup volume, which is my windows disk, and that it cannot be partitioned because of this. any suggestions? im running out of room on the apple and need the space from the now unused windows half

I don't know if this is relevant now, or even useful, but you have to go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select your startup disk as your mac partition before you can remove the windows partition. Also if you have a program like BootChamp installed (which automatically sets your startup disk as windows on restart), you will have to uninstall that.

Hope it helps! (I don't know if it will)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.