Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
Now that the wait for Leopard is over, it was time for me to order a new iMac. I just ordered the 24" Extreme but did so over the phone as I am in Luxembourg and wanted the UK model. I find it really annoying that I cannot do this on the Internet. But I digress. I requested a UK keyboard and the OS to be installed in UK English. The Keyboard has to be an optional extra, which thankfully I don't have to pay for, but it means I'm going to have two keyboards. And the OS apparently asks for the language when first booting up. Tiger did the same on my MacBook, but there were still remnants of French in there. No biggie I suppose - I can always wipe it and reinstall if need be.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I want to know whether the new iMac as sold in Europe comes with multiple mains plugs to fit UK 3-pin sockets and/or mainland Europe 2-pin. If the latter, it will mean another 30 minutes on hold to request the UK one (we're moving back to the UK soon). Can anyone who bought an iMac on mainland Europe please let me know what power leads you got? I'm not even sure that the power leads are removable from the back of the iMac.

Thanks
Cams

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I can partially answer your question. I'm in the UK, and my iMac's (removable) power cable came with a standard 3-pin plug. There wasn't a continental European 2-pin lead bundled in with it.

But in any case, surely the only thing you'd need would be a socket adaptor when you switch to a 3-pin socket? (I assume that trans-European mains supplies are essentially the same in terms of voltage and current?)

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
(I assume that trans-European mains supplies are essentially the same in terms of voltage and current?)

I'm afraid this assumption is not the case. Voltage and plug type can vary in different countries. I would make a point of checking this first (hint: UK = 50/60Hz, 230-240v).

However, most PC power supplies can use whatever they are given. Are macs the same?

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Taken from the iMac tech specs page on Apple's site-

'# Meets ENERGY STAR 4.0 requirements
# Line voltage: 100-240V AC Power cable
# Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase'

so yeah, the power supply can cope with pretty much anything.

(it seems that the 'Harmonised European Voltage' is 230 V at 50 Hz btw)

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
Thanks folks. I'll wait until I get the confirmation email (my bank decided not to let the transaction through today in the interests of protecting me, so I had to call and unblock the card and Apple will process it again tomorrow) and then request a UK plug. I know only too well about the adapters as I have to use them all the time here in Lux for all my UK gear. So I know how annoying it is to have to find adapters all the time and would much rather start phasing out all my continental plugs. It's good to know that the cable is removable though.

Thanks for helping me out.

Cams

TrentBridgeNick

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
iMac power mains plug in Europe

I brought my UK iMac 24 over to Brussels a few weeks ago and can confirm all is working ok with it. Just need to get a 2 pin power lead for it as the travel adaptor is needed for the other UK items i have!

Maybe we can do a swap Cams if you have the 2 pin lead and passing thru' Brussels on your way to UK??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.