Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sknotsk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I just bought a new 8gb iPod nano and I realized it doesnt work with my iMac G3. I'm using it with a Dell right now but its a pain because all of my songs are on my iMac.
It doesnt work because I'm running 10.3.9 and it only works with 10.4.8 or later.
I heard there are 3rd party programs that work around this? Does anybody know if this is true and where I could find them?
Thanks
P.S. are there any programs that can transfer all of my songs from my old iPod to my computer?

Foster

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
iPod Nano 3rd Gen & 10.3.9

Yes, this has annoyed me as well.

Actually, I'm furious about it. I found this (rather arrogant, I thought) reply on the subject at aldoblog.com:

# Alderete Says:
October 7th, 2007 at 4:41 pm

@jared: Well, Apple’s tech specs for the iPod nano clearly state that 10.4 is required. And any market research about OS X versions is going to show that people running 10.3 are a very small minority (see also this poll). And as I wrote to AppleFan, 10.5 is just a couple weeks away from shipping, at which time 10.3 will be officially obsolete — as in, Apple won’t support it in any way.

Time marches on, and there is nowhere that this is more true than in the technology field. I really don’t think you can blame Apple for not supporting your desire to mix brand-new hardware with 4 year old software (OS X 10.3 shipped in October 2003). If you really want to stick with Mac OS X 10.3, perhaps you should look for a good used iPod on eBay or craigslist…?

Looks to me like his site is one big Apple ad. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Apple products for a long time but their recent behaviour in the market place is wearing any loyalty I had thin. This is what I'd really like to know:

Why will the new iPod Nanos work on Windows XP which came out in 2001 but won't work on OSX 10.3.9 which was on new Macs sold in 2005?

Apple is pissing me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.