Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Adobe loves students!

The third one is an upgrade. The first one is a student license. The software functions the same.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
Adobe has given Student discounts for what seems like forever now. It's a great deal for students, and it's the complete software...but, in the license agreement it states that it cannot be used for commercial (making money) use. They do this so you can learn on it, but to make money on the software, you have to buy the full version. What's great, you can upgrade from a student version to a full version for the same price that you could upgrade from a regular version to a new regular version.

-JE

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Its a lot more sinister than the simple adobe loves student idea. If adobe (and others) gives their software away for cheap or free they get more people using them. This in return makes people become accustomed to/reliant on their programs only and as such allow the company to keep the ridiculously high prices (compared to programs which can do the same for a lot less) and maintain the profits.
Its the same with printing companies - they make us all use set programs which happen to be, yep you guessed it mainly adobe because thats what they had when they were students in graphic design etc.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
UK
...but, in the license agreement it states that it cannot be used for commercial (making money) use. They do this so you can learn on it, but to make money on the software, you have to buy the full version. What's great, you can upgrade from a student version to a full version for the same price that you could upgrade from a regular version to a new regular version.

If adobe (and others) gives their software away for cheap or free they get more people using them. This in return makes people become accustomed to/reliant on their programs only and as such allow the company to keep the ridiculously high prices (compared to programs which can do the same for a lot less) and maintain the profits.
Its the same with printing companies - they make us all use set programs which happen to be, yep you guessed it mainly adobe because thats what they had when they were students in graphic design etc.

I had guessed it would be to do with licensing, thanks for letting me know that it is simple to upgrade to the 'commercial' version.

Yeah, I definitely would never be able to afford anything other than the student option, which presents my only chance to use CS3 software.

Thanks, I definitely know which version to go for :)

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
There's an argument that Adobe secretly like that their software is pirated by so many (amateur) people, since it keeps them the number 1 choice when people then find themselves in the position of needing a legit copy as a professional.

So yeah... same principle with the Student pricing. Its kinda like a loss leader to get you into the store.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
There's an argument that Adobe secretly like that their software is pirated by so many (amateur) people, since it keeps them the number 1 choice when people then find themselves in the position of needing a legit copy as a professional.

So yeah... same principle with the Student pricing. Its kinda like a loss leader to get you into the store.

I have to agree with this idea. They discount the programs as to be affordable for people just entering the respective 'program' world so as to allow many more people to become comfortable with the program. It is amazing how much of a premium people will pay just to feel comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.