Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2006
I am a video editor and I have to back up tons of things. I am in a sea of DVDs and terabites of storage.

Where the blue ray storage devices are? I need them and Apple was supporting them so bad and so? where are they? Is there an uncesessary plot to make us buy more hard drives and DVD Roms?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Pioneer make one don't they?

EDIT: my mistake. They don't
My memory works :D
but my google skills don't :(

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Pioneer make one don't they?

Yes, they do. Pioneer, Plextor, Philips, Samsung, Lite On and Sony all have Blu-ray burners (both IDE and SATA) available for sale. Most retail around $500.

If you need the storage that bad, purchase one. Toast 8 supports Blu-ray burning (data). It might even support Blu-ray burning through the Finder (using Toast extensions).

The question should be where are the HD DVD burners?!?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
You can get a slim bluray burner for mac notebooks here, but it's pricy - $999.

There are many normal bluray burners available from FastMac [$529] and others

If you're not needing to watch BluRay video/film, they're fine. Hunt around ;)

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Yes, they do. Pioneer, Plextor, Philips, Samsung, Lite On and Sony all have Blu-ray burners (both IDE and SATA) available for sale. Most retail around $500.

If you need to storage that bad, purchase one. Toast 8 supports Blu-ray burning (data). It might even support Blu-ray burning through the Finder (using Toast extensions).

The question should be where are the HD DVD burners?!?

no beacuse bluray has alot more storeage then hd - 50 gb vs 30 gb.Even though hd is working on and has not yet released triple layer wich gives hd 51 gb instead of 30 gb..
by the way apple prefeer bluray then hd.
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/general_information/Section-14009/Index.html

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
no beacuse bluray has alot more storeage then hd - 50 gb vs 30 gb.Even though hd is working on and has not yet released triple layer wich gives hd 51 gb instead of 30 gb..
by the way apple prefeer bluray then hd.
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/general_information/Section-14009/Index.html

Your post makes absolutely no sense to me. I don't think anyone is questioning the capacities of either formats. Apple doesn't "prefeer" Blu-ray. They are a member of Blu-ray's Board of Directors. Apple is a also a member of the DVD Forum, which controls HD DVD. The only HD disc format currently supported on Macintosh is HD DVD-compatible burning using standard DVD-9 discs in DVD Studio Pro.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
No.. the question should be, why would anyone spend that kind of cash on a burner for a format that's currently at war? I would wait until someone wins!

And you're assuming one of the formats will die out. At this point, I don't think either format will be going anywhere. Sony, Disney and Fox have too much invested in Blu-ray to let it die. Microsoft, Toshiba and Universal the same for HD DVD.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
And you're assuming one of the formats will die out. At this point, I don't think either format will be going anywhere. Sony, Disney and Fox have too much invested in Blu-ray to let it die. Microsoft, Toshiba and Universal the same for HD DVD.

Eventually, one WILL die. People are not going to buy 2 players for essentially the same quality. I just can't see spending that kinda cash on something that, for all you know, could end up like Beta... which no one even knows ever existed.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Your post makes absolutely no sense to me. I don't think anyone is questioning the capacities of either formats. Apple doesn't "prefeer" Blu-ray. They are a member of Blu-ray's Board of Directors. Apple is a also a member of the DVD Forum, which controls HD DVD. The only HD disc format currently supported on Macintosh is HD DVD-compatible burning using standard DVD-9 discs in DVD Studio Pro.

but people will use this discs for storage.so if ones storage is bether..it clearly could be a "make it ore break it" point...but hd is catching up with yet to come 3 layer..
there is a "formatwar" have you not seen ps3 vs xbox360?..
and blueray is selling more..and with xbox you have to buy the hd expansion bay(bad move)..
in the mean time boat bluray and hd discs and burners are more expensiv then dvd..but the quality is much bether then dvd..it looks like apple will prefer bluray in the near future why would sony/bluray innvite them in?..instead of apple rather chosing microsoft/toshiba/hd?..
is not microsoft apple's "rival"/top competing company?..
bluray is the future for apple not hd..

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Eventually, one WILL die. People are not going to buy 2 players for essentially the same quality. I just can't see spending that kinda cash on something that, for all you know, could end up like Beta... which no one even knows ever existed.

yupp:)

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California

Or they both go the way of DVD-A and SACD and pretty much be a side format with little market share. Every single poll shows that the general public cares less for either format and is happy to stick with DVD. most of those people own a HDTV with no HD source either. Without education of what the discs are and can do, they will not go mainstream.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Or they both go the way of DVD-A and SACD and pretty much be a side format with little market share. Every single poll shows that the general public cares less for either format and is happy to stick with DVD. most of those people own a HDTV with no HD source either. Without education of what the discs are and can do, they will not go mainstream.

The difference here is the hardware manufacturers willingness to get it to consumers. A lot of people have or want an HDTV, not many people cared about audio enough to merit buying new hardware and starting a new library based on it. Honestly... I think the general public cannot hear the better quality of DVD-A and SACD's... it takes a trained ear and a great appreciation of sound, so only those select people would be willing to buy new hardware.

HD, however, is obviously taking over. Everything is going HD and everyone wants in... everyone can see the improved quality. Who hasn't heard "look, you can see every blade of grass!" during a persons first experience watching a baseball game on a giant HDTV. So the issue here is that its fairly obvious that a shift to HD is lurking and waiting to pounce on us. I believe this will happen in a year or 2 after TV goes digital... new hardware will be on the mind.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

One may die, but long before then players that play both formats will come out and people will buy for whichever format they prefer.. or if it never comes to that.. whichever movie house publishes on what format. Ie Sony on Blueray and Time Warner on HD-DVD.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
One may die, but long before then players that play both formats will come out and people will buy for whichever format they prefer.. or if it never comes to that.. whichever movie house publishes on what format. Ie Sony on Blueray and Time Warner on HD-DVD.

True. I believe LG is currently working on a hybrid Blueray/HD-DVD player. This seems like a smart decision for LG, but not for the consumer. Consumers should not have to spend extra on a hybrid player to watch 2 films that came out at the same time.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
The only HD disc format currently supported on Macintosh is HD DVD-compatible burning using standard DVD-9 discs in DVD Studio Pro.

you could watch 10 minutes of HD material you downloaded! hooooray for hd-dvd being a premium DVD.

i agree with you for blu-ray, its not going anywhere...thanks in most part to the ps3. but if warner goes blu exclusive: toshiba and microsoft will be the only major players left on the sinking ship that is hd-dvd..it could disappear. for example: onkyo has already stopped production of hd-dvd players (thanks to toshibas slash and burn prices on their hardware)

I might pick up the external hd-dvd drive for the 360 just so I can watch some of the movies they have on my comp, until they are re-released that is.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
kinda forgot why I originally was looking at the thread....I am also gonna pick up the fastmac blu-ray drive soon (try to install linux for playing/ripping)

cessnatim

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
LG BE06 Blue Ray Burner

I am a video editor and I have to back up tons of things. I am in a sea of DVDs and terabites of storage.

Where the blue ray storage devices are? I need them and Apple was supporting them so bad and so? where are they? Is there an uncesessary plot to make us buy more hard drives and DVD Roms?

I've just purchased one of the LG BE06 Burners works great with my Macs. Just simply connect to USB port and away you go. Works fine with Toast 8 which has Blue Ray support, just upgrading to version 9 with Blue Ray plug in. On the box it only mentions Windows based systems don't know why. LG would sell loads of these BD drives to Mac users. One other thing drive only cost £199 from ebuyer.com

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I've just purchased one of the LG BE06 Burners works great with my Macs. Just simply connect to USB port and away you go. Works fine with Toast 8 which has Blue Ray support, just upgrading to version 9 with Blue Ray plug in. On the box it only mentions Windows based systems don't know why. LG would sell loads of these BD drives to Mac users. One other thing drive only cost £199 from ebuyer.com

That's great that you're willing to lend some advice, but this thread's been dead since December. I doubt he's still interested in a BluRay burner. Not to mention there are probably more choices now than there were back then.

MacGromit

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
North Carolina
Costs are still kept high until the public adopts one standard over the other and even more so until they adopt high capacity DVD in the first place.

With DVDs so cheap and available in a sagging consumer market, it's no wonder that folks aren't jumping all over themselves to buy them at the Memorial Day sales.

We need a little consumer confidence. I'm sure the gas prices also in a roundabout way keep BluRay from dropping in price.

But I'm with you, I really would like to see it in the $300 range and I'm all aboard if for no other reason than backups to be put in the safedeposit box of digital photos of the baby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.