Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triggerfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Bristol, England
Would be interesting to hear which settings everyone uses for ripping DVDs to iTunes with Handbrake.

Do you use a preset, or custom settings? Which, if any, clean-up options do you use?

I've been using the iPod Hi-Rez preset, but the results have been disappointing when watching in iTunes, although ok on my 3G Nano. I'm getting green patches in black areas and noticable horizontal lines.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Since I rip the films to watch them on the iPod touch, I use the following settings: x264, 2-pass, 960kbps, 640x480, no additional options, and I'm happy with it.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
x264, 2-pass, 1200kbps H.264, 320kbps AAC, same resolution as source.
I play the files on a PC connected to my 1080i TV, and I think it looks similar to DVD-quality
Will buy an AppleTV after my house sells and I get my income back. :rolleyes:

Been having some trouble with these settings on the PC version of Handbrake lately. Always wants to force m4v files on me, rather than the ol' trusty mp4. But alas, that's a different thread, which I (perhaps erroneously) put in the AppleTV forum.

triggerfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Bristol, England
x264, 2-pass, 1200kbps H.264, 320kbps AAC, same resolution as source.
I play the files on a PC connected to my 1080i TV, and I think it looks similar to DVD-quality
Will buy an AppleTV after my house sells and I get my income back. :rolleyes:

Been having some trouble with these settings on the PC version of Handbrake lately. Always wants to force m4v files on me, rather than the ol' trusty mp4. But alas, that's a different thread, which I (perhaps erroneously) put in the AppleTV forum.

Thanks for your reply. What kind of file size does this usually give you?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
iPhone encodes

Since I rip the films to watch them on the iPod touch, I use the following settings: x264, 2-pass, 960kbps, 640x480, no additional options, and I'm happy with it.

I looked at the default setting for the iPhone and thought, why not just go 1Mb/s. So I've gone with all my iPhone encodes at 1Mbps with the same settings as above.

F

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Strangely enough, most of the default options are multiples of 160. I have absolutely no idea why that's the case. It's the return of the Pythagoreans probably.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
Thanks for your reply. What kind of file size does this usually give you?

Filesizes hover in the 1 - 1.5GB range for a 2 hour movie. A 3 hour flick (like Return of the King) is about 2.5GB.
Note that this is NOT retaining 5.1 audio. I end up with high-quality stereo sound, but my settings don't include surround channels. Not a huge problem since my receiver makes decent surround from stereo via Dolby ProLogic, but it is a sacrifice.

triggerfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Bristol, England
Filesizes hover in the 1 - 1.5GB range for a 2 hour movie. A 3 hour flick (like Return of the King) is about 2.5GB.
Note that this is NOT retaining 5.1 audio. I end up with high-quality stereo sound, but my settings don't include surround channels. Not a huge problem since my receiver makes decent surround from stereo via Dolby ProLogic, but it is a sacrifice.

Sounds good. Been using the m4v format, so maybe mp4 is the way to go for output to lcd. Thanks. :)

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
Sounds good. Been using the m4v format, so maybe mp4 is the way to go for output to lcd. Thanks. :)

No sweat.
Though if you stumble across a breakthrough on mp4 vs m4v, please let me know. Been fighting this one myself. I don't think there's a quality difference between the two file formats, but one seems a lot less compatible with playback devices (m4v) than the old format (mp4). Handbrake has been really pushing m4v on me lately, even when I specify that I want mp4 files out of it. Maybe using H.264 is the issue, and I should just encode in plain ol' mp4. Used to create H.264 mp4's all the time, so I'm not sure what's changed.
Anyway, I'm rambling. If you sort this out, please enlighten me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.