Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazybrit4967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Is there any way to rebuild the spotlight database from scratch? Mine is missing a lot of files for some reason - they don't show up when I search unless I open them first; I think it's because I did a clean install of Leopard and then copied my old files over, because it's those files that don't show up. So can I rebuild the database? If not, what should I do?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If you're familiar with terminal, you should be able to delete the folder ".Spotlight-V100" from your hard drive to force it to rebuild.

crazybrit4967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Okay, I did that, then rebooted, and after Spotlight said it was done indexing the files still didn't show up. Any idea why that would be?

crazybrit4967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I found out a bit more about what the problem might be. As I said, I did an archive and install and then copied my files over. When I did this, some of the files couldn't be read so I had to change the permissions, and those files are the ones that don't show up. Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.