Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshFink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would like to change VLC to be the application that plays these files as opposed to QuickTime.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Josh

mcmacmcmac

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
VLC does support the Apple Remote.

Do you want something more?

umm well i must admit i haven't tried using the remote with VLC yet and can't right now..also didn't know you could.. but how easy is it to browse and select a new file using the remote and VLC? can you see what you're doing from 6 feet away?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
umm well i must admit i haven't tried using the remote with VLC yet and can't right now..also didn't know you could.. but how easy is it to browse and select a new file using the remote and VLC? can you see what you're doing from 6 feet away?
VLC will be the default when you're within Finder.

If you want to use Front Row then you're going to need to get Perian to support more codecs.

mcmacmcmac

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
just to add.. i don't think i've figured out the best way to browse for a new video on VLC because it's hard enough when i'm right at the computer.. there must be an easier way to how i'm doing it, but i'll figure it out later

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
Wait, so I can use FrontRow with my .mkv files (and others that I need VLC to open??) I JUST posted another topic asking whether there was any easy way to implement all my high-def .mkv files into front row. I have tons of .mkv movies, tv shows, music videos, ect... which are all great, but just organized into folders on my external. If there were a way to browse these using the Front Row interface and still play them "through Front Row," i would be ecstatic! Any help???

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
h.264 in .mkv playback is flaky under OS X for HD resolutions using the Perian plug-in to enable Quicktime support and thus Front Row support.

It does work though. ;)

val3ntin3s

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Get Info -> Open With... -> Pick Application -> Change All…

i've tried this in leopard, and it doens't seem to change the files. I've clicked on other AVI files after i clicked the change all and it still uses quicktime to open it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.