Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MnMacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Minnesota Lakes Country
Our G5 iMac that we bought in '05 will suddenly shut off. Doesn't matter what ap is running, all of a sudden it will just power off. Does anybody have a reason, or more preferably, a solution. I hope I can finish this post before it happens ag

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Check your serial number against this exchange program- perhaps you qualify to get it repaired for free.

Imac G5 repair extension program

Hopefully it's not the same problem I have had. Here's a little bit of what I know... if it's the same problem as mine, you can stop it from shutting down by setting your processor performance to 'reduced' in system preferences. Obviously this is not optimal, but it can be a temporary fix, or in my case a long-term fix because I am out of warranty on my Powermac.

It could be your power supply, it could be your mobo, it could be your processor. Hell it could be dust. Hopefully it's just the power supply and you fall under the extension program.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Our G5 iMac that we bought in '05 will suddenly shut off. Doesn't matter what ap is running, all of a sudden it will just power off. Does anybody have a reason, or more preferably, a solution. I hope I can finish this post before it happens ag

Hey there. I had the same problem, with my iMac powering off. Sometimes it wouldn't even get past the loading screen. First of all check to see if it's covered by the repair program that you'll be able to find in the support section of the apple website. If it isn't covered, you'll have to head to the nearest apple store. With my iMac the power supply was shot so I had that replaced. Set me back $130 AU which I suppose wasn't that bad. Though I was quoted $300 AU. Are you still covered with apple care? If so you won't have to pay a thing, except getting there of course.

Are you hacing any video flickers and is you bluetooth working correctly? My bluetooth wasn't working and once I had the power supply fixed it works like a charm! Let us know how you get on.

MnMacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Minnesota Lakes Country
Hey there. I had the same problem, with my iMac powering off. Sometimes it wouldn't even get past the loading screen. First of all check to see if it's covered by the repair program that you'll be able to find in the support section of the apple website. If it isn't covered, you'll have to head to the nearest apple store. With my iMac the power supply was shot so I had that replaced. Set me back $130 AU which I suppose wasn't that bad. Though I was quoted $300 AU. Are you still covered with apple care? If so you won't have to pay a thing, except getting there of course.

Are you hacing any video flickers and is you bluetooth working correctly? My bluetooth wasn't working and once I had the power supply fixed it works like a charm! Let us know how you get on.

Our bluetooth quit working several months ago, so I hooked up the keyboard and mouse from our old Bondi Blue. And just now it took several attempts to get past the start-up screen. And every now and again there's a bit of a flicker in the screen. I wanted o get the Apple Care at the end of our warranty, but my wife said we should save the money because they use Macs at her school, and we could always utilize their computer guru for help. Yeah, right!
I'm checking on the repair program next. Thanks for the info, people!

MnMacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Minnesota Lakes Country
I Don't Believe This!!!

Our iMac is experiencing the same problems described, except we have a 17" display, and the EMC is 2055 instead of 2056! I'll just have to hope ours will soon be included in the repair program. Of course, I'll send Apple this info. Who knows, maybe a big corporation just might listen to a little guy!

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles

We had this problem. The iMac G5 shut down once or twice and we were confused because no one shut it down. The problem became more apparent when it then shut down and refused to turn back on at all.

We brought it in to the Apple store and they said it was a 3-5 day repair. when we got home, there was a message on the answering machine that they had it fixed and ready for pickup. So my irritation at making another trip was offset by the sub 2-hour repair turnaround.

The problem was the power supply. All costs were covered by the repair program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.