Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Hi, I was wondering if there were any other ways to stop outgoing connections from specific programs besides using Little Snitch, which doesn't work with Leopard anyway.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
The little snitch 2 beta IS Leopard compatible.

There's not really anything else like it available for OS X. You can duplicate _some_ of its functionality with an external firewall, but that still doesn't give you the reporting facilities.

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
NetBarrier X4 10.4.3 also works with leopard. I installed it and turned anti-spyware on.... then selected ask with deny on timeout. Will ask you the first time app connects to web, ip addy and port number/service being connected to.

Personally, I prefer NB over little snitch.

I have to ask myself.... why does calculator.app need to connect to Apple???? i just dont understand it.....

Also, if there are any firewall issues with leopard.... i'm not using the leopard firewall!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I installed NB once the sheer amount of crap it put all over my computer and the hassle of getting rid of it means i will never use it again, ever.

michaelmcgaw

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
DFW Area, Texas
NetBarrier X4 10.4.3 also works with leopard.

I have to admit that I'm skeptical about NetBarrier X4. I've licensed Intego's AV solution and it has worked so poorly for me (on Tiger, admittedly) that I've been loathe to try any of Intego's other software.

The current Little Snitch beta on Leopard works quite nicely and the beta product is a VERY nice step up from the previous version.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I have to admit that I'm skeptical about NetBarrier X4. I've licensed Intego's AV solution and it has worked so poorly for me (on Tiger, admittedly) that I've been loathe to try any of Intego's other software.

The current Little Snitch beta on Leopard works quite nicely and the beta product is a VERY nice step up from the previous version.

I've been hearing that it uses up a lot of resources including CPU cycles.

michaelmcgaw

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
DFW Area, Texas
I've been hearing that it uses up a lot of resources including CPU cycles.

I do believe that the "UI" component (I forget the full component name) does have a memory leak right now, from appearances, that is. Since the product is in beta, I've reported what I've observed to the developer.

On the other hand I haven't noticed any problem with CPU cycles, but I'll have to admit that I've not been watching that. I'll have to check CPU usage and see what's happening there. I've certainly not noticed any response issues with Little Snitch or my system while LS is doing its thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.