Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I posted this in the thread about the iTunes update but think it might get more traction here.

The help files have been updated with iTunes 7.5 to include the following text (this is not in previous iTunes help files BTW):

Syncing media with iPhone
<snip>
To add songs to your iPhone manually (instead of syncing automatically), select the "Manually manage" option in the Summary pane, and then drag songs from iTunes to your iPhone.

Attachments

• Snapshot-2007-11-05-15-33-24.jpg
    Snapshot-2007-11-05-15-33-24.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 8,041

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Yet another sign pointing to this kicking off with the 1.1.2 update on Friday.

Yep - and unlike the localization strings for this - which are sometimes just copies of functionality not intended for other devices - this is an actual change to the help files (not a copy and paste - the help files for the iPods is even laid out differently than the ones for the iPhone and use different text).

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
i hope this is true, its the only way ive done my ipod, ive never tried automatic syncing?

on the video it doesnt show the "Manually Manage" bit, under the summary section, unless this was recorded before this option was added or bits of the film are used from the US sync video

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
i hope this is true, its the only way ive done my ipod, ive never tried automatic syncing?

on the video it doesnt show the "Manually Manage" bit, under the summary section, unless this was recorded before this option was added or bits of the film are used from the US sync video

Yeah I looked in the video too and did not see it - however I have a feeling the video is compiled with different elements and not "recorded" on any system. I noticed that the 10.5 background is used in the movie as well.

On edit I think the video uses an older version of iTunes - notice there are no Ringtones on the side panel

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Is this included in the new itunes 7.5 or the new 1.1.2 update friday?

The reference is in the current (iTunes 7.5) help files. If you open help from iTunes click on "Sync your iPod, iPhone, and more" then select "Syncing media with iPhone" under "Syncing your iPhone" and it will be on that page of the help screen.

Im guessing with the next update to the iPhone this will be enabled.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
The reference is in the current (iTunes 7.5) help files. If you open help from iTunes click on "Sync your iPod, iPhone, and more" then select "Syncing media with iPhone" under "Syncing your iPhone" and it will be on that page of the help screen.

Im guessing with the next update to the iPhone this will be enabled.

Oh ok thanks for the clarification

timmell

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Redford, MI
Maybe

At least they are starting to give us some functions back to the loyal users of the iPod. Maybe I will be able to play music on my work computer speakers though my iPhone like I once did with the iPod.

They did give us Video output back after a while.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Why add this to the help file BUT not enable it in 7.5 or 1.1.2?

Seems strange - it would definately making getting music on the iPhone MUCH easier!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Why add this to the help file BUT not enable it in 7.5 or 1.1.2?

Seems strange - it would definately making getting music on the iPhone MUCH easier!

They usually do that. For instance before ringtones came out they put ringtone images in iTunes 7.3

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
hey now that we have the iphone in the UK, does anyone know if the manually manage music is working yet or is it going to be in a update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.