Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nemisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Ohio
I just downloaded the most recent version of iTunes and plugged in my iPod to charge it. Now, I run 64 bit version of Windows Vista, and realize that I cannot use it with my iPod. I was expecting the normal message to pop up that says something about about plugging the iPod into a 32bit OS. However, this time, I got something different:

"The iPod cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64 bit versions of iTunes."

Can someone tell me how and where to get this 64 bit version of iTunes!? I tried re-installing and nothing happened, the same version was downloaded.

Here is a pic of the message:
1885870688_90478f8c0f_o.jpg

Nemisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Ohio
Sorry to triple post and bump my own thread, but I didn't see the need for posting another thread. I have been searching religiously for the (possible) release date for the 64-bit version of iTunes, but haven't found anything. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if they know of anything. Thanks.

TDCat

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
I'm in the same situation. I have done plenty of digging around looking for a solution to the Vista x64 problem.

I don't think there is one at present. I can understand that Apple are less than interested in supporting Windows on computer related issues, but general day to day items such as mp3 player need to have better support.

I love the Ipod Touch but I find this level of support unacceptable. I too hope for an update.

absoluttt

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
Problems using my ipod touch with itunes

Hi, I have an ipod touch (8gb) and I have a big problem when I connected to my pc. Im using a PC windows media center edition. When I connect my i-touch to my PC it appears this message: This ipod cannot be used because de required software is not installed. run the itunes installer to remove itunes, then install itunes again. I already remove itunes and also de quicktime and I install them again a lot of times but I still have de same problem. Please, does somebody knows a different way to fix this problem?

Thanks

Nemisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Ohio
Well, I believe with the release of iTunes 7.6, iTunes officially works with Windows Vista 64 bit editions!

At least, it's FINALLY working for mine. This is by far the happiest day of the year for me! Thanks apple!

kennethkearns

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Has Anyone had any luck with the 7.6 and a 64-bit version of Vista? I still get the same issues has before.

kennethkearns

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
ok figured it out. Firefox 32-bit makes the apple page download a 32bit version of itunes. use ie7 and you get the 64bit one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.