Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
you've mistaken the linked tip to another tip. This tip is:

"To place a folder in the dock without turning it into a Stack, you just have to create an alias of the folder, place this somewhere and drag it to the right side of the dock. The alias will behave like a folder, not a stack."

Ahh I see that now (your link for some reason automatically takes me to the posts below). That is a good way to go around the problem.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ahh I see that now (your link for some reason automatically takes me to the posts below). That is a good way to go around the problem.

Yah, in the absence of a true solution, I figured ANY solution was a good one. I saw this and it fit the bill.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
guys, just hold down the command key when you click on them...it opens them in a finder window.

Wil Tirion

macrumors newbie
How to turn off Stacks?

I fully afree. Stacks in Leopard is a terrible mistake. I used to have folders in my dock and with a right-click (or ctrl-click) you could see the whole content of the folder. Now you can only see the first level and you have to open it in finder to see the content of the subfolders.

I had one folder called 'Application Menu' with Aliases to ALL programs on my Mac, subdivided in Graphic programs; Utilitities; Astronomy programs; 'Games; Multimedia etc. With just one click I could see and start up ANY program on my Mac. Stacks has ruined this possibility.

I did a simular thing with all my artwork. I place my personal folders in the Dock and could find and open any document with just one click.

I really HATE these Stacks. It is a giant step back, and not forward. Does anyone know if and how it can be turned of, so I can place folders in the Dock again?

Wil Tirion - Uranography & Graphic Design

sartajc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Or simply right-click and then choose "Open (name of folder)" It's one extra click (the horror!:eek::p) but it subverts the entire Stack process.

For a company that wants to make things simple, it is horrible.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

I guess they should make everything less clicks and keystrokes. From now on this is the following naming scheme you can use:

Apple is now - A
iMac is now - M
iPod is now - i
iTunes is now - T
OS X is now - O
MacBook is now - B
MacBookPro is now - X
Newton is now - N
Apple II/E is now - E
Mac Pro is now - P
iPhone is now - H

etc.

:rolleyes:

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
After using them, I like Stacks, but it'd be nice to see the hierarchical menu when you right click a stack. It would be at the top with a divider then the Sort By/View As menus underneath. Then you'd have the best of both worlds. On a side note, I used a Finder pluggin that let you see the same hierarchical menu when right clicking anything in the Finder. That way you can keep your HD or a shortcut to any folder on your desktop and use that pluggin to browse it. It's called Folder Contents, but I haven't used it in a while so I don't know if it's supported by Leopard.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

I think that to be fair about this, Stacks is a work in progress. Once we get things like sub folder navigation in a stack, and Quicklook (WHY THIS IS NOT ALREADY PRESENT IS BEYOND ME!!!!!), things might get better. I do happen to like the Downloads Stack, as it has freed up my desktop somewhat. I'm sure we'll be a bit less peeved about Stacks after the .1 update.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Hey, what files in OS X actually control Stacks? Would it be possible to somehow "fuse" the old Stacks behavior from the developer builds into the retail build?

I think that to be fair about this, Stacks is a work in progress. Once we get things like sub folder navigation in a stack, and Quicklook (WHY THIS IS NOT ALREADY PRESENT IS BEYOND ME!!!!!), things might get better. I do happen to like the Downloads Stack, as it has freed up my desktop somewhat. I'm sure we'll be a bit less peeved about Stacks after the .1 update.
I'm still fairly new to OS X, so I don't know... But do 10.x.x releases typically add substantially new features, like a complete overhaul of Stacks?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm still fairly new to OS X, so I don't know... But do 10.x.x releases typically add substantially new features, like a complete overhaul of Stacks?

Functionality has been added before. I can't think of any particular examples right now, but minor tweaks here and there can lead to a particular feature getting a new function. I know for sure that navigating sub folders was possible in Stacks in one of the betas, but for some reason, it was removed in the GM. There might have been a bug, so maybe we can expect the issue to be resolved by .1 or .2. As for Quicklook, that's just my greatest hope.

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but there is a freeware app called 'Overflow' that gives you back the functionality of the old folders and heirarcal view. The only thing is it's an app, so it sits on the left hand side. It's not exactly the same as before, but it has a lot of additional features and customization as well.

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
It's Time To Move On Folks

Listen, the whol idea of the dock is getting outdated anyway. Especially placing folders in it. I know it's hard when you have to give up an old habit, BUT IN THE END IF YOU REPLACE THAT HABIT WITH A BETTER WAY OF COMPUTING, IT'LL BE A BENFIT TO YOU.
I seriously suggest you all take a look at Quicksilver. It is a far superior, and far more advanced way to call up files, folders, and especially apps, you can even manipulate quite powerfully the files inside of quicksilver. Like find a file anywhere zip it and e-mail it all with a few quick key presses never leaving Quicksilver. And it's pluginnable! I suggest you all ditch your application folder in the dock approach and start quicksilvering. It's smart too, it starts to learn which things you open the most and makes them even quicker to get at. For instance, I open firefox all the time, so now if I just type an "f" and hit return firefox pops right up! If you use the "bezel" display look, you get huge tasty icons as a great visual feedback.
Truly guys, use stacks for what it's great for, quick, transient organization without cluttering your desktop, it's like a hidden desktop. And use quicksilver for everything else! you could even use spotlight for all that, it's just not quite as fast as QS. HAPPY LEOPARDING!

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Listen, the whol idea of the dock is getting outdated anyway. Especially placing folders in it. I know it's hard when you have to give up an old habit, BUT IN THE END IF YOU REPLACE THAT HABIT WITH A BETTER WAY OF COMPUTING, IT'LL BE A BENFIT TO YOU.
I seriously suggest you all take a look at Quicksilver.

I'm sick of all you QuickSilver ranters. I know a dozen people, myself included, who gave quicksilver a try, and we didn't like it. If I wanted to shorten everything down to a few letters I'd be using the terminal.

Do you really think that the Dock is outdated? Are you kidding? I know that memorizing hundreds of key commands and learning a new system of abbreviation in order to save fractions of seconds works for you, but think of the vast majority of people who aren't as cool as you. They just want to click their documents and their folders, and if they want to dig deeper into one of their favorite folders, they want to do that too, and leopard won't let them do it they way they used to in tiger. What the hell does that have to do with QS, the shortcut app with the most obnoxious, thread stealing users I've ever seen? They want their functionality back, they don't want to hear AGAIN about your amazing method of opening a file with 4 keystrokes instead of 4 mouse movements.

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
nesting is old hat

you don't have to navigate through the nests just call up the individual file by name

aloevlund

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
i HATE stacks with a passion. i used to use the dock for shortcuts to folders so much, and frankly stacks just ruins it. is there any way to turn it off with terminal or applescript or anything?

Okay so I finally found a solution.
Let's say I want my Applications folder in my Dock but no stack only allowing you fan view or grid view which sucks if you have a lot of stuff in the folder.

1 Mark the folder you want in your Dock.
2 Press Cmd+l to make a shortcut-thingy to that folder.
3 Drag the SHORTCUT-THINGY to the Dock, NOT the actual folder.
4 Realize the problem has been solved and have a cup of coffee.

I put my shortcut-thingies in a folder called "Dock shortcuts" and put it in my user's Home Folder so i could rename them, thus getting rid of the "-alias" afer the original folder title.

Peace.
-A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.