Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This forum is for those photo/picture posting threads.

We'll start with one forum and move to subforums as necessary.

arn

Reactions: FireFish

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Woot woot!
This is gonna be great for all the fotogers...

How s'about a subdomain? foto.macrumors.com :p

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
b3fuddled.1.JPG

I hope this turns out to be the right thread...
/pride

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Go for it, I am all about being organized. I am not too concerned what happens with or where the picture thread I started ends up since I didn't even expect it to last for more than a day or two. Now that this new photo gallery forum category is available, I don't see any reason not to move the thread.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
eyelikeart said:
I could move it if u guys wanted. It seems to be a part of the community equally though.
We'll take you up on the offer, please. The votes on moving thread 38844 and thread 41568 to the Picture Gallery are 4 YES, 1 INDIFFERENT.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Can we get a set of rules for the photography forum?

One thing I absolutely HATE seeing on other sites, and unfortunately it's already appearing here, is the obnoxious behavior of people re-editting other people's photos, and then posting them up with a "There..better" type of comment.

Fixing someone elses photos, regardless of how well it worked or did not work, without being asked by the person who posted it, is incredibly rude.

Nothing bothers me more on photography forums. Just because one person thinks they can improve a photo does not mean they should attempt to do so. It's very immature, very obnoxious, very impolite, and it's far too common on other sites. I'd like to put a stop to it here before it gets out of control - anyone agree?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Josh said:
Can we get a set of rules for the photography forum?

One thing I absolutely HATE seeing on other sites, and unfortunately it's already appearing here, is the obnoxious behavior of people re-editting other people's photos, and then posting them up with a "There..better" type of comment.

Fixing someone elses photos, regardless of how well it worked or did not work, without being asked by the person who posted it, is incredibly rude.

Nothing bothers me more on photography forums. Just because one person thinks they can improve a photo does not mean they should attempt to do so. It's very immature, very obnoxious, very impolite, and it's far too common on other sites. I'd like to put a stop to it here before it gets out of control - anyone agree?
Thank you! I agree. I mean if you ask "critque and fix as needed, then ok. but this thing that I see that happens all too often...I dunno I just don't know if I like it either.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL

I think the above should also apply to admins who think it's appropriate to resize posted photos. If I wanted to post a 400 pixel thumbnail, I would have done so. Having other people resize my pictures (which weren't that big to begin with) is bogus. Either leave them alone or delete them, but don't turn them into something I didn't present.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I think the above should also apply to admins who think it's appropriate to resize posted photos. If I wanted to post a 400 pixel thumbnail, I would have done so. Having other people resize my pictures (which weren't that big to begin with) is bogus. Either leave them alone or delete them, but don't turn them into something I didn't present.

The thumbnails can be clicked through to show the image at full size in a new browser window. We often get complaints that people post images that are too large and take too long to load and for that reason, we act on them when reported or spotted.

So, we prefer for people to use the TIMG tag when linking to large images.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/308346/

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
The thumbnails can be clicked through to show the image at full size in a new browser window. We often get complaints that people post images that are too large and take too long to load and for that reason, we act on them when reported or spotted.

So, we prefer for people to use the TIMG tag when linking to large images.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/308346/

The images in question were only 800 pixels wide, that's not what I call large. Do we really have people browsing with screens that can't handle that?

So, what is the cut-off point at which you won't mess with my pictures? Can I repost at 750 pixels wide? 700? I don't want my pictures to be thumbnailed.

Thanks.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
So, what is the cut-off point at which you won't mess with my pictures? Can I repost at 750 pixels wide? 700? I don't want my pictures to be thumbnailed.

I would have thought 800 px max width would have been OK if screen width was the only thing that mattered. Some of us — not me — are still on dial-up so perhaps it's best to not think of what's happening to your pictures as much as what your pictures are doing to others' machines.

Anyway, as I said, any images sized down can be clicked on to show the entire picture at full size, a solution that suits most people.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
800 is a bit wide for people on 1024 monitors, and there are plenty of them. There is no firm rule, but I think 600 is pretty appropriate (a bit conservative though), thumbnailed to a higher resolution if you like. That way people on small screens can fit the page without horizontal scrolling, and they can still have a little bit of Desktop space showing.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
800 is a bit wide for people on 1024 monitors, and there are plenty of them. There is no firm rule, but I think 600 is pretty appropriate (a bit conservative though), thumbnailed to a higher resolution if you like. That way people on small screens can fit the page without horizontal scrolling, and they can still have a little bit of Desktop space showing.

Why isn't there a firm rule? There are a half dozen or more car pictures on page 1 of the car thread bigger than 600 wide right now and quite frankly, 600 pixels seems ridiculously small in the year 2007.

The bottom line is I don't want my pictures to be thumbnailed. I would like to know what is the largest size I will be allowed to post without having my pics molested.

Thanks.

Some of us — not me — are still on dial-up so perhaps it's best to not think of what's happening to your pictures as much as what your pictures are doing to others' machines.

As far as I can tell, you are still downloading the entire full sized picture when this TIMG tag is used, it's just scaling it on your computer after that.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
What about videos? I posted a video I made on here and my thread was deleted...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.