Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Got my first 3G 8GB black iPod nano on September 7th. Got it replaced 2 weeks later because of the tilted screen issue. Replacement was tilted as well. Decided to wait a little bit to let Apple work the issue out.

Sent it in Tuesday. Today I see the repair status "no trouble found". Apparently a screen with a 1.5mm counter-clockwise tilt is normal for a $215 (after taxes) device :rolleyes: So it'll be going back out Monday or Tuesday I'm sure, along with pictures with a ruler showing the the screen tilt.

I guess Apple is trying to lose me as a customer. First they try screw me over with the iPod games (stealing $40 from me is as bad as $5,000), the BBB complaint is still ongoing regarding that, then all the junk they pull with the iPhone (like deliberately locking out user made ringtones), and now they're trying to tell me a tilted screen is a normal part of a $215 device. On top of the fact that I had already grown dissatisfied with the MacBook not having a dedicated GPU.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
its not apples fault you are dissatisfied with the macbook not having a dedicated gpu.. you knew that before you bought it(or should have at least)

i use a macbook every single day and have not found it to be a problem..

the other issues you raise.. i have no opinion.

Zack

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Well, I don't know how they managed to not spot the issue. The tilt is big enough so that it can be measured.

However, in true AppleCare fashion, my iPod was returned all scratched up just like my MacBook was when I sent it in for repair. Called Apple and they're going to replace it regardless now.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
If it's a mechanical alignment issue, you could probably fix it yourself. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of "how-to"s on the web for opening Ipods up. Most are amazingly easy to open, and I have the coordination of a retard.

Usually websites that sell replacement batteries will have documentation for just about every generation ipod made.

I fixed a "dusty" screen for a girl once, and with the amount of ribbon cable going the LCD, it could have been tipped in both directions easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.