Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirReel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
OK, I'm not really sure if this was iTunes 7.5, or iPhone 1.1.2, but, back in the early days, I did the rename file extension "hack" in iTunes. These have always shown up in iTunes, but wouldn't synch after the updates started coming. Tonight, I downloaded the update and installed. Synch just finished, and when I clicked on the ringtones tab in iTunes, I noticed that these "homemade" ring tones, now looked the same as the one I made using the iTunes process. Up until tonight, they have always looked kind of "grayed out" and different from the "real" ringtone. So, started thinking, and went into the settings on my phone. Low and behold all of them are now showing up in the Custom area. No hacks, no jailbreak, they just went on from iTunes. Anyway looks like that original hack might be an option again?!?! :D YMMV

peace,
SirReel

SirReel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
my iphone is plugged in and when i search for a update there is not one available??

Check the other thread. It has instructions on how to download and install. Some people are saying iTunes is getting it now too. I think it might depend on your timezone.

peace,
SirReel

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Ah, so it does work! The one I was trying would make them show up in iTunes and not transfer.

But they are transferring again!

Maybe Steve heard the outcry? Maybe this is a mistake? Either way this is sweet!:)

RL600

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Palm Beach, Florida
I downloaded mine through iTunes last night then when i went to install it said 1.1.1 is the latest version, so i did a force restore in recovery mode and it installed 1.1.2.
Shrug.

Nothing too special.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
suhweet!!! I can't wait to get home and load on some of my old ringtones I was forced to give up with the purchase of my iPhone!!:)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It looks like 1.1.2 now has a separate folder to hold custom ringtones, so any ringtones with a .m4a/.m4r (not sure which extension) that were nullified by iTunes 7.4.2 and 7.4.3 seem to now be back under iTunes 7.5.

dreamdisorder

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
I have an the UK iphone, and have followed all the steps from all the other websites, and have managed to get to the last step where I have the .m4r file on my desktop, but it simply refuses to copy into the Ringtones folder.

Does *anybody* know what I am doing wrong?

x

jkwuc89

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Powell, OH
I followed all of the steps to create a new custom ringtone from an existing MP3 and my custom ring tone (which is just 11 seconds long) shows up in:
  • The Ringtones folder in iTunes
  • The Ringtones tab when my iPhone is connected
  • The Ringtones folder when I expand the contents of my iPhone in iTunes

However, when I go to Settings | Sounds | Ringtone on my iPhone which is running firmware version 1.1.2, my custom ringtone is not displayed in the list of available ringtones. How do I get the custom ringtone to show up under Settings | Sounds | Ringtone on my iPhone?

jkwuc89

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Powell, OH
Figuring that there was "something" that triggered the custom ringtone section to show up on my iPhone, I downloaded the trial version of iToner and let it sync a ring tone to my phone. After iToner finished syncing, the custom ringtone section showed up on my iPhone.

jkwuc89

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Powell, OH
Here are the exact steps I followed to get custom ringtones on my iPhone. I am using iTunes 7.5 (19) and iPhone firmware version 1.1.2. My system is a MacBook Pro with Leopard installed.

1. Select the song in iTunes that I want to use as a ringtone. Protected AAC files will not work.
  2. Right-click on the song and select Get Info
  3. Go to the Options page and select the start and end times for the ringtone
  4. Right-click on the song again and select Convert Selection to AAC
  5. Right-click on the converted song and select Show in Finder
  6. Drag the .m4a file from the Finder window to your desktop
  7. Go back to iTunes and delete the converted song from iTunes. When I skipped this step, double clicking on the .m4r file to import the ringtone into iTunes did not work properly.
  8. Right-click on the song file on your desktop, select Get Info and change the file extension from .m4a to m4r. You should get a warning message about changing the extension.
  9. Open a Finder window and locate the Ringtones folder underneath your iTunes folder. The path should be /Users/<your ID>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Ringtones. If this folder does not exist, create it.
  10. Drag the renamed song file from your desktop to the Ringtones folder in Finder.
  11. Double-click on the .m4r file now stored inside the Ringtones folder. iTunes should change to the Ringtones folder under Library near the top and start playing the ringtone
  12. Plug-in your iPhone to begin the sync process. This should copy the ringtone over to your iPhone. You can verify this after the sync is complete by expanding the iPhone contents inside iTunes and then, selecting the Ringtones folder.

Now, after doing the sync step above, I still did not have a Custom category under Settings | Sounds | Ringtone on my iPhone. I suspect that "something" must be done to get this to appear (like purchasing and syncing a ringtone for instance). So, to work around this, I downloaded, installed and ran the trial version of iToner. After doing one sync from within iToner, the Custom category showed up on my iPhone.

bourg778

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
ok, so i followed your steps until i got to the change file extension. Im using a windows operated pc. How would i change the file extension on my computer.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
ok, so i followed your steps until i got to the change file extension. Im using a windows operated pc. How would i change the file extension on my computer.

On a PC the process is a little different. Once you have the clip you want in the AAC format*, simply right-click the icon, select Rename, and change the last letter of the extension. The file icon should change to an iTunes Ringtone icon.

You don't have to drag the file around anywhere; simply double-click the icon and it'll put it into your iTunes ringtone folder. Sync your iPhone and it'll be in the ringtones listing. Easy peasy.

* I have all my music in mp3 format. To make my ringtone, I made the clip I wanted using an mp3 editor and saved it to my desktop. Then I imported the clip into iTunes (File>Import...). The easy way to find the clip in your iTunes library is to sort your music by playing time, with all the short tracks at the top. Right-click your clip and convert it to AAC. If you right-click it again and Get Info, it'll show you exactly where iTunes has filed your clip. From My Computer, go to that folder and then pick up the instructions from above.

ETA: The above refers to XP, not Shista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.