Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
How organized are your movies in iTunes? Are they all tagged w/ artwork? Just thrown in? Do you even care? I know before AppleTV I didn't care that much, but now I like to have everything tagged right... Here is one of my screen shots... Now post yours....

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
Before my appletv I didnt have movie artwork but since I bought the appletv I did go out and find all the artwork. Only problem is I haven't watched a movie on my atv yet. I seem to use it mostly for podcasts!

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
How can you add text to the description column? Or where all those movies bought so they already had it in there?

Thanks

Well iTunes doesn't sell HD stuff so no they weren't bought through iTunes... You can tag all your content with a tagging program. I use MetaX it's the best, gets you rating, synopsis, artwork, and more... Highly recommended...

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I do not have many movies on my aTV or even in iTunes. However I have all of my TV shows in there and they are spot on organized with episode IDs, individual show titles and artwork. The same is with my music. Im sure if I start to use it for movies they will be the same, but I think I have a total of 5 actual movies with a few small clips.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Can you share what you mean by HD? I am confused because if you ripped from DVD the source content was not in HD, so did you "upconvert" or something? If so, do you see an improvement of the picture quality? Admittedly, I don't know much about ripping DVDs for use with the AppleTV since I don't have one (but I want one), and I only rip for the iPod with the Handbrake iPod preset.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Can you share what you mean by HD? I am confused because if you ripped from DVD the source content was not in HD, so did you "upconvert" or something? If so, do you see an improvement of the picture quality? Admittedly, I don't know much about ripping DVDs for use with the AppleTV since I don't have one (but I want one), and I only rip for the iPod with the Handbrake iPod preset.

These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I'd say very organized.

Picture 1.jpg

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...

Whoa. didnt' even notice all the HD movies you have. I have a Xbox HDdvd drive which I love EXCEPT for the noise. So how are you ripping the hddvd's with a mac?

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Whoa. didnt' even notice all the HD movies you have. I have a Xbox HDdvd drive which I love EXCEPT for the noise. So how are you ripping the hddvd's with a mac?

I have the HD DVD for the XBOX360 too and love it, it's not too load. The quality from a disc will always be better than content on the appleTV unless they up it to 1080p and better sound. But there HD movies still look amazing, it's my way of getting through the format war. I buy HD DVD movies, but I don't support bluray.

As for ripping... I'm not, I get them from various sources.. :cool:

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
As for ripping... I'm not, I get them from various sources.. :cool:

Howsa bout pm'ing me those "sources" so you can share the appletv love? I thought about hooking up my xbox drive to my vista pc and find someway to rip it and then transfer it to my mac but that seems like alot of work when you can just pop the disc in, i just hate all the fan noise.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
mine's pretty similar to yours. I'm a nut when it comes to organization on my computer.

Attachments

• movies.jpg
    movies.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 13,955
  • tv shows.jpg
    tv shows.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 10,174

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
out of curiosity. How large would say a 2 hour hd movie take up in aTV friendly format?

They can vary but average about 3.75-4GB per movie (3750-3900kbps). Some are really low 1.5-2gb(1900-2500kbps) but it depends on the bitrate of the original file. If you want to be able to tag them it must be no larger than 4GB...

je1ani

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Where do you get your box art from? and how do you fill in the Description? I am using regular iTunes not AppleTV

magicmoof

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Which Mac, Encoding times?

Just curious how long these take to encode and what hardware you have.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Good post!

Good idea for a post. Until I saw the post all my movies has the first frame of the movie as the thumbnail. I just spent the last few hours updating my "dvd jackets"

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Nice...

What do you use for tagging?
I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.

May I ask what's in your playlist "old people dancing" ? LOL

haha, that was for my parents. They needed some music for a party. I thought the name suited quite nicely.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Good idea for a post. Until I saw the post all my movies has the first frame of the movie as the thumbnail. I just spent the last few hours updating my "dvd jackets"

I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.

haha, that was for my parents. They needed some music for a party. I thought the name suited quite nicely.

Weird, I haven't had any issues with MetaX...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.