Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
:D Darwin Awards indeed D.

"I wasn't thinking"...heh...it's an honest response...but come on!! :rolleyes:

So, theoretically...if someone created something...and the recipe was linked to this guy...could he get in even more trouble for furnishing info?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Not sure of his liabilities - but he's not going to be doing this again.

I can't even imagine going to jail for a year over something so obviously stupid as that. And the judge gave him more time than what was in his plea bargain :p

Eh, he's only 20, hopefully he'll get back on track....

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Eh, he's only 20, hopefully he'll get back on track....

ha ha yeah...I'd be curious to see what other smart things he does in the future... ;)

I'd guess part of his plea & sentence is that he's not liable for anything stemming from it..but still...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
since when can information get you arrested? from what i remember, the only way they can do anything of the sort is if it is about nuclear weapons, the government automatically owns all such info and there are tight controls... But bomb-making is scientific and has a range of uses other than "terror"...

first it's this, no big deal, he was a dumbass anyway, right? Next they'll arrest people for setting up websites that discuss politics, criticize leaders... No biggie, as long as you are a good little citizen and only have websites about pre-determined topics, you'll be fine. Anyone who doesn't like it is obviously hiding something and should be arrested themselves.

pnw

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I think what it's coming down to at this point, is anything that can trigger a problem is going to be dealt with. The reality of it is that likely no one will create anything from this guy's site, but it's the risk factor being looked at intensely.

Security measure in this country are going to be nuts from now on. :(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If this came from outside the US, it wouldn't have been an issue. What ends up here is this kid was used as an example - which sucks, but anarchy and bombing is a very touchy subject.

The only thing is that all the info is available online and its a sad that he's getting put in jail. But it was also his own stupidity that landed him there.

D

JackRipper

macrumors regular
May 14, 2002
South Carolina
What about Google?

What about Google? Or any search engine for that matter! Don't they link to those types of sites as well?

How can you charge and arrest people for linking to websites?! I would understand if he provided information on his site, but links?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Arrest Bill Gates and give him a wedgie and steal his lunch money. Arrest Mr. Google for creating an effective, and possible 'deadly', search engine. Arrest Google for existing. How do you think this guy found these sites to begin with?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If he was a lifetime PC user, would a three year mandatory vacation from using a computer be a punishment?

But then again he was arrested for having easy access to information.

The US is trying to take information that's been in the public domain for years and making it a crime to have.

---

Of course they're doing the same thing with gardening books that happen to be the hot book on setting up hydroponic systems.

Arresting manufacturers of ziplock baggies, glassware operations, etc. if their product becomes widely used in drug operations.

Remember it's illegal to have a calibrated/accurate scientific scale in your home or car (especially if the residue turns those test kits funny colors). :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Remember it's illegal to have a calibrated/accurate scientific scale in your home or car

You serious about this? I used to have one and I have no affiliation with any possible explosives or drugs. This just doesn't make any sense....:confused:

D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
You serious about this? I used to have one and I have no affiliation with any possible explosives or drugs. This just doesn't make any sense....:confused:

D
Sort of, it's still drug paraphernalia.

Just don't be in the habit of leaving the paper you use rolling for your own cigarettes next to a scale.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yeah, there'd have to be proof that it was used for drug or explosive related things.

When you're doing a little chemistry at home having a scale that can measure 10s of a gram is nice. Guess that would count....:D

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
That is stupid, since when is the anarchist cookbook illegal?

This is plain grade A Bull****.

I hope he appeals, I can't believe he even settled.

Should this be illegal?

Austin must also pay a $2,000 fine
Whats with that? Somehow he has to pay damages (where no damage was done), not only jail and banned from computer but $$ too!

I bet if he didn't take the deal the U.S would have pushed for the death penatly or something really stupid.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
is barred for three years from using a computer without approval
I don't think I could do that! ;)

Anyway, this guy should have known that he was heading for trouble, IMO. :rolleyes:

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
stupid, unsavory, but I don't know that I'm necessarily comfortable with the idea that the dissemination of information should constitute a criminal act.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.