Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Couldn't find a post on this but forgive me if it has been posted before. My iPhone has gotten extremely slow responding to entries, whether the "home" button or anything on the touch display. Sometimes it takes about 30 seconds for an application to open, or to get back to the home screen. At other times the response is totally normal (less than a second). I've been having occasional lagging issues since I bought the phone, but initially it was only up to 2-3 second wait times. Now it got increasingly worse so the phone has become almost unusable. Does anybody have similar experience? Suggestions what to do (besides restarting the phone, which I've done many times)?

Thanks.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
have you tried holding down the home button and sleep button?

Solves most of my problems(when Safari is crashing a lot), the next step is a software restore....which brings it back to factory settings(its an choice in iTunes when your phone is plugged in)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Software restore after you have tried rebooting the iPhone. This happens on the occasion if you leave your phone on all the time (atleast in my experience).

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Thanks everybody. Will the software restore erase setting/data I have stored on there?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks everybody. Will the software restore erase setting/data I have stored on there?

What data exactly. Most things are backed up already, and will go right back onto the phone if you tell it to restore from your backed up file.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
What data exactly. Most things are backed up already, and will go right back onto the phone if you tell it to restore from your backed up file.

I was thinking about pictures and notes, which I believe are not backed up automatically (and the latter can't be backed up at all, which is kind of ridiculous imho).

I'll try doing the restore and if I don't write back, it will have succeeded.

Hallingp

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Slow response of Iphone

I came to he forum with the same problem, my iPhone 3g had becomeunacceptably slow after 3.0 and 3.01 upgrades. I would wIt "forever" for the home key to activate, and other functions as well.

Followed suggestion to erase text message history, and clear the cashe in safari. I was about to rest all settings and do a restore but it was unnecessary.to my amazement those simple steps worked wonders. Now lime new.

bjajal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
As last poster said...clear Safari cache and it will back to normal. My iPhone 3G was running sluggish for some time - clearing the cache solved the problem. Other common issue is multiple pages open in Safari. If you have more than 2-3 pages open, it will hog your memory. Closing those pages or restarting the phone will help in those cases.

Happy to see my iPhone running back again;)

raygungirl

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Arizona
I just got an iPhone for Christmas (finally!) and was having this problem. I thought maybe I'd messed things up because I had an iPod Touch that I backed up and then "restored" onto my new iPhone to keep all my apps.

I think it must have restored Safari's cache, too, because I had lag problems right away. But deleting Safari's cache fixed it! :D Phew, I was worried I was gonna have to exchange it. :p

Sometimes I don't know what I'd do without MacRumors to solve all my Apple-related problems. ;)

G5Dual

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
San Francisco
Fixes iPhone 3G slowing

Just tried this on my iPhone 3G 16GB, which was running incredibly slow (keyboard sometimes took 5 seconds to respond to a keypress; apps. took forever to fully launch). Reboots alone did not help.

I went to Settings -> Safari and deleted the history, cookies, and cache. Then rebooted. Much much better.

tracygary1

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
YAY! that hard reset (x3) fixed my slow 3G after the 4.0 upgrade

I had the slowest phone in town after the upgrade to 4.0. I was searching for an easy fix, hopelessly. I tried that hard reset (holding the power & home button until the power off appears) and I had to do it about 3-4 times, but after that magic number, now my phone is operating as promised. I can't remember who suggested it first - but i THANK YOU!!!!:D

togrady15

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2010
help

I came here looking for the same issue....sluggish phone. How do I know if the reboot happens? I tried holding down both buttons a few times and it just seems to shut down. It is not doing any kind of reboot from what I can tell. does it show any kind of process running? Please help as I will need to get a new phone if this doesnt work.
Thanks
Tim

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Erasing all the TXT / MMS messages I had definitely resolved the slowness of my iPhone 4. Pretty sure I had messages from at least 10 people that went back several years (by way of restore when I upgraded from 3G->3GS->4). I suspect Spotlight was having trouble indexing all the messages.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Hold down both the Sleep and the Home buttons simultaneously until the screen goes black and you see the Apple logo, then let go. It usually takes about 10-15 seconds for the logo to appear, then a bit longer for the phone to reboot.

I came here looking for the same issue....sluggish phone. How do I know if the reboot happens? I tried holding down both buttons a few times and it just seems to shut down. It is not doing any kind of reboot from what I can tell. does it show any kind of process running? Please help as I will need to get a new phone if this doesnt work.
Thanks
Tim

BronzeOwl

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Every App You've Started is Still Running

Every time you start an App it continues to run, even after you hit the home button and go to another App. My iPhone had 20 Apps running in the background and I've heard of someone having 100 Apps running. Rebooting the iPhone does not stop the background Apps.

You shut them down by double-clicking the home button. You will see a row of Apps appear at the bottom of the screen. Hold you finger on one of the Apps until you see the "minus signs" appear. Click the "minus sign" on each of the Apps shutting them down. When you're finished, hit the home button.

When I got rid of 20 background Apps my response from FaceBook photos went from minutes to less than 3 seconds. The Apps are still on you iPhone; you'll still see them and can start them from the home button display; they just aren't running in the background.

Last edited:

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Every time you start an App it continues to run, even after you hit the home button and go to another App. My iPhone had 20 Apps running in the background and I've heard of someone having 100 Apps running. Rebooting the iPhone does not stop the background Apps.

^^^^ This information is simply inaccurate.

On iPhone OS 4, apps in the background — those that support “fast application switching” in Apple’s parlance — are effectively paused. They’re still in RAM, but they can’t get large amounts of CPU time. What they can do, though, is use a limited number of APIs from the system to perform certain tasks — the two examples so far are play audio (Pandora) and receive/maintain VOIP calls (Skype).

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/mobile_multitasking

Dccooze

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Iphone 4s Ios Update

When i updated my Iphone 4s to Ios 6 it did go slower its very anoying i thought maybe it was my Wifi but i checked non-Wifi application and it worked perfectly
so i would double check its that it might be your WiFi that's slowing down applications try using 3G :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.