Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAGICMAN320

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
do i have to change something in the settings? im getting no picture. sound only

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
i was talking about doing this just last night. Once cabled_up will it display whatever's on the iPhone, like displaying the Safari screen for example?

i was talking about doing this just last night. Once cabled_up will it display whatever's on the iPhone, like displaying the Safari screen for example?
I'd started this thread about it a ways back...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/350751/
You're not alone...
So why can I not also display the iPhone interface and other applications on the video out if I desire?! Why just movies and pictures?! DUMB Apple!
:-(
Tell me about it. If Apple eventually supports 3rd party apps, and Quickview for mobile OSX, we would be looking at an excellent solution for mobile presentations on iPhone. Even Google docs support for iPhone would be a huge boone in that general direction... Leap frogging Windows Mobile/Mobile Office (which I believe is currently only read-only for Powerpoint presentations) in a heartbeat.
I wonder though, if it has something to do with resolution, etc. I personally never got an Apple TV because it didn't support composite. I thought this was a BONEHEADED move by Apple, and I still do. I do wonder however, if it had anything to do with effectively taking a computer's picture and adapting the resolution to a composite signal. For instance, I believe the video-out on the iPhone/iPod has NEVER showed any sophisticated on-screen controller graphics. Makes me think there's more to it for non-video content.

~ CB

MAGICMAN320

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
yeah, im using the headphone jack with the av cord. Is there another way?
it works fine for my ipod video 30g

yeah, im using the headphone jack with the av cord. Is there another way?
it works fine for my ipod video 30g
I never got a chance to confirm whether 1.1.1 made iPhone/iPod compatible with existing 30 pin connector video solutions (I had an excellent video dock I gave away with my iPod), but I'm pretty certain that video-out through the headphone jack simply does not work AT ALL on any of the newer iPod family devices.

If you look on Apple's website, you're cord seems to die with the previous gen of iPods.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4F2D7D&nplm=M9765G/B
This accessory is compatible with the following:
iPod with color display
iPod with video
The first reviewer notes that this cable doesn't even work with the new iPod Classic either.
Please note this cable works to display video only on iPod Photos and iPod video (5G and earlier), not the latest iPod Classic. For that, you need to get the new Apple Composite AV cable which plugs into the dock connector (bottom) and not the headphone jack (on top).

It's $49 more, but at least it comes with an adapter that you can use as a wall charger when you don't have access to a laptop or PC to charge, which is handy when traveling

~ CB

kaxpat

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Do i need to pay apple prices for Composite AV cable?

Hi! anyone know of any reason to spend the extra $37+ on apple cable ($10.49 vs $47)? Also, for those who have used this type of cable, is the picture good enough, or does anyone know of alternative options that would allow me to tap into HD feature on TV (SONY Bravia)? Thank you for any info!

Fieldhighm3

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
ONLY Youtube videos will play on TV despite Apple connecter - WHY?

Hullo all - further to this discussion, have bought the Apple connecter from
the Apple store where I was assured that would allow the Tv to act as a monitor to display ANyTHING that was on the iPhone 3gs screen - BUT, it will ONLY display videos, and at that ONLY YouTube videos, not news broadcasts available on various websites etc. This cannot be right in 2010, surely! Hasn't technology come a bit further than that? What's so hard about allowing a TV to be a dumb monitor - if computers can do it, why can't the iPhone do it?

Also, a smaller annoyance but still annoying - when a YouTube video is playing on the iPhone alone, obviously it doesn't got to screensaver - but when playing the video via the TV connector, it doesn't show on the iPhone screen and the iPhone goes to screensaver while it's playing, thus stopping the video on the TV! how stupid is that!

Any solutions, anyone? Thankyou!

netwrkcity

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
Can You Play Your Iphone Games On Tv Without Av Cables?

Hi i wanted to know if you can play your iphone games on tv without the av cables and just your charger hookup? Reason i ask is because my tv has the usb port on it so i can just hook my regular iphone charger chord right up to it.

And if not, what if the phone was jailbroken... Do they have an app or something to play the games on the tv withOUT the AV cables and just hooking my phone to my tv through te usb slot on my tv? Please let me know, thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.