Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Is there any way to get this computer that is detected by my Mac off the shared computers list? It is not mine and is useless to me. I am referring to the "Mac00112..." The one below it is mine and works well.

Thanks!

picture1zi7.png

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Is there any way to get this computer that is detected by my Mac off the shared computers list? It is not mine and is useless to me. I am referring to the "Mac00112..." The one below it is mine and works well.

Thanks!

I had the same problem last week, a reboot solved the problem.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Sorry... I meant to put this into the Mac OS X forum.

Heres a little more info:

picture2jg3.png

I had the same problem last week, a reboot solved the problem.

This has been on the list since I loaded Leopard a week ago, so a reboot has not fixed this.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Sorry... I meant to put this into the Mac OS X forum.

Heres a little more info:

This has been on the list since I loaded Leopard a week ago, so a reboot has not fixed this.

Have you tried using the terminal ?

I think the command is "umount /volume" or something close to that

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Looks like someone is mooching off your wireless network. I dont know of any way to knock it off line. Its no harm. it s just a simple windows computer that has 1 public folder sharing and leopard is just showing what its found. It probably always been there, just under tiger, you had to go to the network icon to show all servers. There was no list. My brothers pc shows up on the list when his computer is on.

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
If someone was mooching off the network would it show up as a volume that he could access in finder? I don't have leopard yet but in tiger I have network shares occasionally get "stuck" where i can't access or remove them.

You'll have to use the finder menu option "Go to folder" and go to /Volumes and then there should be a folder with the same name as the rogue computer. You can safely delete it without worries and reboot (if necessary) and it'll be gone.

Done it often in tiger..

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
If someone was mooching off the network would it show up as a volume that he could access in finder? I don't have leopard yet but in tiger I have network shares occasionally get "stuck" where i can't access or remove them.

You'll have to use the finder menu option "Go to folder" and go to /Volumes and then there should be a folder with the same name as the rogue computer. You can safely delete it without worries and reboot (if necessary) and it'll be gone.

Done it often in tiger..

the moocher can only access the shared folders that the owner is broadcasting. Likely the public folders (by default) assuming that file sharing is even enabled.

The mooching has probably been occurring since Tiger, only Leopard shows the network in a more visible manner.

unmounting the volume will only result in the owner no longer seeing the moocher, but he/she will still be there unless the network is properly secured

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Zach, is your network encrypted? If not, not to be rude, but you're just asking for others to jump on.

It is not. I know it should be, but I have never tried to access the Linksys router system and figure out how to encrypt it (I know it is probably quite simple). Because I live in a subdivision with fairly large houses, I was under the impression the the signal would not carry over into the neighboring houses. My network is the only one that both my iMac and MacBook detect.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
If you really dont want people mooching your well paid for internet, and not encrypt, you can just changed the ssid (to kick that guy off) and then stop broadcasting your network. That will stop the average user to gain access to your network. It most cases, it will never show up on a network list. The exception that ive seen, user on vista will see it, but they have to know the ssid. Now in no way is that completely secure. I just doubt that anybody that has the know how, to get your ssid from the air by stiffing all possible traffic will be around a housing community. It is possible though.
Ive had my network unencrypted for 5 years and never had one person hop on with my ssid not broadcasting.
I also see you never configured the router. Another "linksys" ssid out there. Its so common, its quite sad. I say log in by going to any web browser and type 192.168.1.1 as the web address. user name should be blank. Password is admin. 3 thing you should change. 1. the router password 2. your ssid, can be anything rememberable, and dont broadcast it. 3. your channel to channel 1. Channel six is over used and could vreate slowdowns with all the interference from everyone else that dont configure their router as well. If you want to encrypt, that'll be up to you

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
An app like iStumbler can easily find a non-broadcasted ssid. That is hardly security, that in conjunction with WPA would be secure. Take that a step further and setup an access list. I also change from the standard IP.

Also, with the ssid, consider that Macs aren't friendly with not having it broadcasted. I know Leopard has issues with that as well. Just a heads up.

Further, if you haven't logged into that router someone can connect, go into the control panel and block you. I would suggest you take some steps to secure your network.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
As for osx not being able to handle a non broadcasting ssid, ive never had an issue. Just you have to select other and then manually type in the ssid you want to use. and yes i have leopard
as for someone finding your ssid, its true its easy, but most people are not actively using apps to find one or know about one. Infact, I knoe of none for osx until you said what app there is :p . I say if someone wants to take the time to figure out how to do that, feel free to steal my internet. the average user out there is clueless how all this networking stuff works anyway. I have yet have 1 person connect to me in 5 years.

UPDATE: Istumbler has yet to find my network, gave it 20 minutes. Am I missing something you know that i cant figure out?

whatgives

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
I see this thread has been dormant for a while, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I is still following. I too have this same issue. I first thought I was hacked or that someone was leeching off my network, but I had a reasonably well protected network with wpa encryption. I eventually realized that the second "pc server" was actually broadcasting from my macbook. So, 2 shared computers were coming from 1 machine. Any ideas?

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
I got this after I installed VMWare Fusion. I think it is the "virtual machine" that you created in VMW Fusion, and I dont know how to get the rid of it.

paultong

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Just open finder and view the shared computers.
goto finder preferences and the disable Bonjour computers to disable.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,063

aireeonree

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
moocher

it appears that i have a moocher so i changed password and key on wireless hub. but it did not get rid of the damn moocher. i dont know how that is even possible if i have reset the key and password. argh! help. please.

cloverhill

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Northern Virginia
mysterious 'other' server

I think theMaccer is on to the answer. I had the same thing happen right after I installed Sun VirtualBox. I think this is the remnants of the virtual drive. Anybody try to install VMWare or the like have this issue?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Thanks!

picture1zi7.png

SECURE your network. If that moocher is using your network to run torrentz 24/7 you will be accused of it. It will cause much unneeded hassle for you.

cloverhill

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Northern Virginia
mysterious 'other' server

I don't think you are correct. Three items:

First:
When I click connect, get this message, which says that the server is local:
The server “MacBook-0017F2DDBFA4” is available on your computer. Access the volumes and files locally.

Second:
When I look on my router, I can account for each of the wired and wireless connections and there aren't any moochers (unless they've managed to log on in a stealth mode).

Third:
The same server is available on my wife's macbook and when she connects, it is my computer.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have a 'mystery shared computer' in my Finder too. A little bit of digging demonstrated it was my bonjour capable Canon scanner that was showing up.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I've had this problem since Leopard... it still exists on SL. Definitely not a moocher (my network is locked down) but it shows up on both of my macs. Very strange.

madpixl

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Re: Help me get rid of this....

Is there any chance you are running Paralells or VMWare? That might account for the PC share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.