Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybeyondo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
Helpful suggestion- don't make the same mistake I made, make sure when you are installing 1.1.2 through iTunes,

option click on UPDATE, not RESTORE

if you do restore, it wipes out the filesystem, including the OktoPrep file, then when you're doing the jailbreak, it gives the error that it can't use the jailbreak on 1.1.2.

This little tidbit would've saved me from doing the restore all over again... :rolleyes:

umairjaanu

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Issues with post 1.1.2 steps

Need help

First, i installed OktoPrep and it said I was ready for 1.1.2. Then, i upgrade the phone to 1.1.2 firmware by clicking on Shift + Restore. The firmware was installed successfully and ran jailbreak.jar file from cmd. I click on "Install SSh" and I type in my root password and click "JailBreak!"

But, I get the following error message" This utility can only be used if you have already run OktoPrep before updating 1.1.2."

Am I missing steps between installing OktoPrep from Installer and upgrading firmware to 1.1.2 manually????

Thanks in Advance

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Need help

First, i installed OktoPrep and it said I was ready for 1.1.2. Then, i upgrade the phone to 1.1.2 firmware by clicking on Shift + Restore. The firmware was installed successfully and ran jailbreak.jar file from cmd. I click on "Install SSh" and I type in my root password and click "JailBreak!"

But, I get the following error message" This utility can only be used if you have already run OktoPrep before updating 1.1.2."

Am I missing steps between installing OktoPrep from Installer and upgrading firmware to 1.1.2 manually????

Thanks in Advance

You did things in the wrong order. If you go to the first post in this thread and download the zip file from Conceited software everything will be fine.

Read the instructions carefully.

Go here: http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html

skoone

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
Helpful suggestion- don't make the same mistake I made, make sure when you are installing 1.1.2 through iTunes,

option click on UPDATE, not RESTORE

if you do restore, it wipes out the filesystem, including the OktoPrep file, then when you're doing the jailbreak, it gives the error that it can't use the jailbreak on 1.1.2.

This little tidbit would've saved me from doing the restore all over again... :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree, Tony!! :D

I did the same thing, I kept hitting option-restore, and the dumb thing wouldn't jailbreak. After trying option-Check for Update, all went well.

Thanks for the heads up on this anyway, it's very important advice!

Regards-
Steve

embeleco

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
Silly question...

I have my ipod with 1.1.1 already jailbreak with tons of applications installed including the mail application already working. If I follow the instruction of the Dev Team for the 1.1.2 update and jailbreak will that update my Ipod and retain all the settings of the 1.1.1 sw? Meaning will I need to re-install all the applications again?

I know that the current Mail.app in 1.1.1 does not work on 1.1.2 but I already got the mail.app from the 1.1.2.

Please let me know.
embeleco

beeeen

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
ok, so I have oktoprep installed on my touch but 1.1.2. isn't on my itunes yet. I downloaded from touchdev, and it's on my desktop unzipped. I hit shift + update, but all it said was 1.1.1. is the current version. How do I get it so I can select what version to use?

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
I installed OktoPrep before doing the update, but now when I click on osx I get this:

Last login: Tue Nov 13 00:35:24 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ Enrico$ /Users/Enrico/Documents/1/osx ; exit;
Unable to access jarfile jailbreak.jar
logout

and the terminal ends.
I'm under Leopard.

Any suggestion??:confused:

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Question, how are we able to jailbreak since apple supposedly fixed the Tiff exploit in 1.1.2?
I read somewhere that in order to fully restore you would need to delete the back ups that iTunes creates since it will just reload the files you installed. Someone here was saying that after you install and uninstall apps they leave behind a bunch of rogue files and remnants, which carry forward with a restore from a backup. Does anyone have this experience?

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
had 1.1.1/jailbroken before upgrade to 1.1.2, did the OktoPrep install in 1.1.1

upgraded to 1.1.2 in iTunes downloaded the 1.1.2 jailbeak did the cd/desktop/1 and the ./osx thing.

Terminal pops up and it starts to jailbreak but then errors and says can not connect. tried the onscreen suggestion of disconnecting reconnecting the touch and restarting the computer

any suggestions?

beeeen

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
I need help downgrading.

I'm running 1.1.2. I have 1.1.1 on my desktop, but everytime I press option key + restore nothing happens. Help?

embeleco

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
Ok. I totally mess up my Ipod Touch.. After following instructions my ipod got into a freeze no freeze and freeze again and I was unable to unlock it to get access into it.

So I finish restoring the touch to 1.1.(2) and is working normally but no hack obviously. Now where I can download the 1.1.1 software in order to try one more time.

Any ideas?

TIA,
embeleco

spykedmartini

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
mmkay can someone put up kinda simplified instructions on how to do this? i would really like to jailbreak my ipod, and i have NO clue where to start . . . Help?

saxey

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Can we please get a link to the 1.1.1 firmware? The link in this thread is for the 1.1 firmware, and not 1.1.1

Thanks

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
i've loaded the 1.1.1 file from a couple of different places, all the instructions say to change it from .zip to .ipsw.

My download has been a folder and it does not let me change anything, when I open the folder there are files there but none say *.ipsw.

When I navigate to it from iTunes with shift+options click restore to nav to the file it won't open

illweather

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
I'd say this jailbreak method is crap compared to the methods for 1.1.1. Hopefully someone will release a better version soon, cause my touch got all screwed up tring to update, and I know I followed all directions perfectly. And I tried downloading the opt file (referenced in another topic), and doing all that, but still no luck.

embeleco

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
Ok. Now I'm stuck with 1.1.2 firmware because everytime I do the jailbreak it says that can't find the oktoprep. I follow the instruction very carefully but again can't find the oktoprep even though I am hitting Options+Update on Itunes and not Options+Restore.

Anyways now I did a clean restore to 1.1.2 just to have it in 1.1.2 until a better jailbreak method appears natively on 1.1.2. But I have another problem.. everytime I turn off my Touch it comes back with the apple logo for a few seconds then disappears and then comes back again.. again and again.. there is no way it will stay shutdown... sometimes it goes in shutdown mode but most of the time it cycle on the white apple logo... and when pressing the home button while cycling then it comes back on normal but again when shutdown is doing the same behavior..

any ideas?
-embeleco

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
This is from the README text from the jailbreak folder from Conceited software:

1. Download the 1.1.1 ipsw firmware file from Apple. If the downloaded file has the extension
".zip", please remove it and modify it to end up with a filename ending in _Restore.ipsw

Step 2b: Jailbreaking on iPod Touch or iTunes Activated iPhone

1. Launch Safari

2. Visit http://jailbreakme.com, Scroll down to the bottom, click "Install AppSnapp". Safari will
exit and you'll return to your springboard. Slide to unlock, you are now jailbroken. and are
able to use Installer.app.

Step 3: Prepare your 1.1.1 device for the Update

1. Launch Installer.app

2. Scroll down to Tweaks (1.1.1)

3. Select OktoPrep

4. Click Install

NOW -
Step 4: Update to 1.1.2

Ddmallen

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
Jailbreak doesnt see me!

Ok so I have done all the necessary steps up to this point. however, in terminal, when I open ./osx (jailbreak) it says that it cannot read my Ipod. I have tried reconnecting, restarting having Itunes open/closed everything. Can anyone help?

Ddmallen

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
had 1.1.1/jailbroken before upgrade to 1.1.2, did the OktoPrep install in 1.1.1

upgraded to 1.1.2 in iTunes downloaded the 1.1.2 jailbeak did the cd/desktop/1 and the ./osx thing.

Terminal pops up and it starts to jailbreak but then errors and says can not connect. tried the onscreen suggestion of disconnecting reconnecting the touch and restarting the computer

any suggestions?

Im having the same problem have you found a way to fix this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.